British Speedway Forum
chunky

Forgotten Europeans...

Does anyone remember Otto Holoubek from Austria and his brief flirtation with Ipswich in the mid 1950s?

2 hours ago, frigbo said:

Both ex-Sheffield

Yeah, the Tigers have had their share of mediocrity over the years!

Iris, you say you don't remember them? You may have blinked; they both had a British career that lasted a whopping two races!

Jan Zabik was a little better; he averaged over 4, and managed a maximum.

Steve

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

Iris, you say you don't remember them? You may have blinked; they both had a British career that lasted a whopping two races!

Steve

I guess what I mean is not only did I miss their UK career I missed their whole career even on the continent.At least with Bøgh I did subsequently hear of him.Same with Kurt Hansen from Halifax

A number of these riders in the past few days the first I ever heard of them was when someone posted something here!!! Even living in Germany I have never heard of Odematt. But most of my speedway friends here come from the old East Germany so riders like Tetzlaff ,Ernst or Mike Ott are mentioned more than the West Germans

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I guess what I mean is not only did I miss their UK career I missed their whole career even on the continent.At least with Bøgh I did subsequently hear of him.Same with Kurt Hansen from Halifax

A number of these riders in the past few days the first I ever heard of them was when someone posted something here!!! Even living in Germany I have never heard of Odematt. But most of my speedway friends here come from the old East Germany so riders like Tetzlaff ,Ernst or Mike Ott are mentioned more than the West Germans

Don't forget, Ernst Bogh also appeared for Leicester in 1976, along with Grzegorz Szczepanik and the almost-as-ineffective Pepe Teromaa. Again, I think Teromaa could have been okay given more time.

Steve

• Like 1

16 hours ago, frigbo said:

Henk Steman

Finished ahead of Martin Ashby twice! (Mind you, Martin Ashby had an EF both times - once at Oxford and once at Swindon)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes,it is also possible if I look back I’m my old Programme collection I have actually seen one or two live,just they made absolutely no impression on me.Teromaa I do remember and his more successful brothet

At Wolverhampton, they tried Jerzy Kowalski (who tragically died after a crash later in 1978), Hans Christensen, and Knud Ellegard. Someone given a little more time at Monmore without really showing anything was Leif Berlin.

Steve

Borje Klingberg was a huge disappointment for me, had  a  good pedigree just didnt happen for him.At Swindon  Sumner Mcknight who had good aquipment struggled terribly.

It was also pot luck if you saw some of these guys.Halifax and Sheffield didn’t visit Wimbledon often and you’d sometimes be wishing they didn’t kick a rider out before we met them

Another was Jan Jakobsen at Cradley.Can't really remember him.We were in another league by then anyway.But subsequently met him and his son.He managed Vojens,i think and his son was one of the best on the 80cc.From memory I was there when he won the junior world championship 

Edited by iris123

In 1975, Swindon announced that they were going to sign Kenneth Selmonsson from the touring side Kaparna.

Sadly we missed out on him in the end and went for Jan Andersson instead. So that worked out pretty well!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

Wieslaw Patynek had two races at Eastbourne,failing to score.He then crashed on the Sheffield training track breaking his back,so never got to appear at Owlerton.

Zan Zabik was built like a tank,or so it seemed to a young me!

Allan Fogg.Came on loan from Eastbourne,nice equipment,no idea how to use it.

Rob Steman.He rode one meeting for the Tigers, v Reading in 1995,hopelessly out of his depth he trailed in a distance last in each of his three rides.However,Roman Matousek had bike problems,so he borrowed Steman's machine and somehow he managed to win the race on it,even though it was belching out smoke from various places !

A few more 'legends'

Johannes Fransden

Thomas Ravn

Nano Righetto

Finn Jensen (Eastbourne)

Christoph Betzl

Markku Helminen

Frits Koppe

Toni Pilotto

Jorgen Hultgren

Torben Hansen

Csaba Hell

• Like 1

Thomas pettersson,kjell gimre,lars Inge hultberg,Erik tilgaard,Einar egedius gotfred andreasen Henryk glucklich,jerzy trzeszkowski

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, frigbo said:

A few more 'legends'

Johannes Fransden

Thomas Ravn

Nano Righetto

Finn Jensen (Eastbourne)

Christoph Betzl

Markku Helminen

Frits Koppe

Toni Pilotto

Jorgen Hultgren

Torben Hansen

Csaba Hell

When I made that post about Wolves riders earlier, I was also thinking about Helminen and Frandsen...

Edited by chunky