British Speedway Forum
chunky

Forgotten Europeans...

A worryingly large number of these riders rode for Sheffield!!!!  As well as the ones others have already mentioned, I distinctly remember Lars Eriksson, Heinrich Sprenger, Trond Skretting and Hank Stemen having second half races at Owlerton, and also Lennart Bengtsson appearing in a 4TT at Halifax at the end of the 1978 season. 

Don't diss Allan Fog... he came in on a (I think) 7.00 average, then got injured and his rider replacement did us proud :D  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

A worryingly large number of these riders rode for Sheffield!!!!  As well as the ones others have already mentioned, I distinctly remember Lars Eriksson, Heinrich Sprenger, Trond Skretting and Hank Stemen having second half races at Owlerton, and also Lennart Bengtsson appearing in a 4TT at Halifax at the end of the 1978 season. 

Don't diss Allan Fog... he came in on a (I think) 7.00 average, then got injured and his rider replacement did us proud :D  

All of those have already been mentioned too!

Steve

Guiseppe Marzotto (aka Charlie Brown) didn't pull up any tress for Wolves in 1976. Clearly his talents lay elsewhere.

Edited by Sotonian

Ah yes, 'Mr GM' had an idea for a new speedway engine.  Anyone know what became of this venture :D?  I'm sorry, it's Friday afternoon, he did get the marketting, production, supply etc more than a bit right though.....

1 hour ago, Sotonian said:

Guiseppe Marzotto (aka Charlie Brown) didn't pull up any tress for Wolves in 1976. Clearly his talents lay elsewhere.

That is exactly why I didn't mention him; he has hardly been "forgotten!

Steve

Just now, chunky said:

That is exactly why I didn't mention him; he has hardly been "forgotten!

Steve

His racing exploits have which was rather the point.

3 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

His racing exploits have which was rather the point.

Funny, isn't it? There are probably posters on the BSF who didn't even know he rode in the BL!

Seriously, while he wasn't "great", he wasnt anywhere near as dire as most of the names mentioned on here...

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chunky said:

All of those have already been mentioned too!

Steve

Yes, maybe I should have worded the first part "the ones who have already been mentioned in relation to Sheffield" lol.   I think it was Andrew who mentioned Jan Zabik, I liked him too,  but he was 34 when he rode here, and whilst he did all right, didn't achieve the necessary average (6 points?) which enabled foreign riders to return for the next season.

Remember the Falcons having a really odd look in 1994 (or 93?)  - Henk Bangma, Andy Bossner and Toni Svab. All came out of the blue. Svab turned out to be a solid signing, Bossner had the odd moment, but was really inconsistent, Bangma was well out of his depth.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, iris123 said:

I guess what I mean is not only did I miss their UK career I missed their whole career even on the continent.At least with Bøgh I did subsequently hear of him.Same with Kurt Hansen from Halifax

A number of these riders in the past few days the first I ever heard of them was when someone posted something here!!! Even living in Germany I have never heard of Odematt. But most of my speedway friends here come from the old East Germany so riders like Tetzlaff ,Ernst or Mike Ott are mentioned more than the West Germans

Useless piece of trivia. German TV produced a version of Till Death Us Do Part  and called it Ein Herz und eine Seele  (literally "One Heart and One Soul") and Alf Garnet's character had the name Alfred Tetzlaff.

Edited by Split
Correction

1 hour ago, Split said:

Useless piece of trivia. German TV produced a version of Till Death Us Do Part  and called it Ein Herz und eine Seele  (literally "One Heart and One Soul") and Alf Garnet's character had the name Alfred Tetzlaff.

Hmmmm.. That would have sounded great on our version too!!!

Steve

When I first started going to speedway in 1978 I only saw speedway at Hyde Road for the first couple of years...so for me that was what speedway was about..no idea about what Eastbourne for example was like so my early impression of riders was based on Hyde Road form disorders some of the southern teams who visited once a year had some particularly poor foreign riders...Henryck Glucklich may been ok ?...I remember him as being poor based on a Hyde Road visit....I remember Uno Johansson coming in for one Belle Vue match and being very poor...I remember Eastbourne coming with Borge Kling and Lars Hammarberg who did nothing at all...not sure if they were in the 64-14 match ?...Emily Sova at Belle Vue didn't last long nut was actually quite entertaining and a very friendly guy..

3 hours ago, Trotter65 said:

When I first started going to speedway in 1978 I only saw speedway at Hyde Road for the first couple of years...so for me that was what speedway was about..no idea about what Eastbourne for example was like so my early impression of riders was based on Hyde Road form disorders some of the southern teams who visited once a year had some particularly poor foreign riders...Henryck Glucklich may been ok ?...I remember him as being poor based on a Hyde Road visit....I remember Uno Johansson coming in for one Belle Vue match and being very poor...I remember Eastbourne coming with Borge Kling and Lars Hammarberg who did nothing at all...not sure if they were in the 64-14 match ?...Emily Sova at Belle Vue didn't last long nut was actually quite entertaining and a very friendly guy..

Glucklich was a decent rider on the international scene, but never showed any of that in the BL, and Johansson had a couple of brief stints a few years apart, without showing any form.

Hammarberg and Ring (not Kling - there was also a Borje KLINGBERG at Eastbourne at another time) were never that great, and with a home track like Eastbourne, it would have been a big difference to Hyde Rd.

Steve

Guest compost
7 hours ago, chunky said:

Glucklich was a decent rider on the international scene, but never showed any of that in the BL, and Johansson had a couple of brief stints a few years apart, without showing any form.

Agree re Glucklich though didn't he always ride on borrowed kit - never brought his Polish gear over here ?  Thought he rode the track spare for Racers home meetings.  Maybe more a sign of bad promoting than a bad rider (I always thought he wasn't that bad but very frustrating to support as too erratic).

21 minutes ago, compost said:

Agree re Glucklich though didn't he always ride on borrowed kit - never brought his Polish gear over here ?  Thought he rode the track spare for Racers home meetings.  Maybe more a sign of bad promoting than a bad rider (I always thought he wasn't that bad but very frustrating to support as too erratic).

...Recall Glucklich getting on the wrong side of Billy Sanders at Smallmead on one occasion which led to Billy administering his own form of justice after an on track altercation!