British Speedway Forum
chunky

Forgotten Europeans...

Don’t think Glücklich belongs in this category at all.Ok near the end of his career he had a bad season in the BL , but that doesn’t wipe out his achievements or make him ‘forgotten’ or obscure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henryk_Glücklich

Finished 5th in the world and in the 75 European Final finished 5th behind Mauger,Olsen,Crump and Michanek having beaten both Olsen and Michanek in the meeting.

Edited by iris123

I knew a forgotten European,. . but I can't remember his name.
www.speedwaychampions.com 
www.speedway-sa.com 

• Haha 1

How about South African Mark Frost, he's certainly a forgotten European!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, arnieg said:

How about South African Mark Frost, he's certainly a forgotten European!

alias Mark Frost, who really was a Hungarian in disguise. What was his real name? Was it Attila Stefani, or Laszlo Stefani? 

7 hours ago, Bavarian said:

alias Mark Frost, who really was a Hungarian in disguise. What was his real name? Was it Attila Stefani, or Laszlo Stefani? 

Remember him riding for 'The Cheetahs' in 1996 and he showed some promise before he was injured (I think he suffered a broken leg?) It was Paul Hurry who realised his potential during, I think, a trip to South Africa?

• Like 1

Here is a picture of a South Africa speedway team touring Poland in 1994 

The rider in the middle of the front row is Attila Stefani (alias Mark Frost). Next to him (the second from the left) is his brother Laszlo Stefani.  

Bildergebnis für Attila Stefani Salakmotor

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, miro said:

J osef angermuller

Just like Josef Angermüller of Reading, most of the 1970s/80s Germans in the British League are pretty much forgotten now, like Carsten Pelzmann of Middlesbro, Peter Würterle of Reading, Georg Hack of Ipswich, Hans Wassermann of Reading, or Gerd Uhlenbrock of Coventry, and  probably some others whom I have forgotten about.

It is slightly unfair to say Angermuller, Wassermann or Uhlenbrock are forgotten. Think the Reading riders are fondly remembered by their fans of the time. Seem to recall them getting mentioned from time to time and also the anniversary of Sepp’s death was reported in Germany . One such I am sure I posted here before

https://www.donaukurier.de/nachrichten/bayern/Wolnzach-wochennl452014-Ein-Komet-am-Speedway-Himmel;art155371,2980946

Uhlenbrock is also possibly remembered more in the UK than in Germany, possibly because of the fake news reported at the time that he escaped East Germany with his family in a motor bike and sidecar. The work of Dave Lanning ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

It is slightly unfair to say Angermuller, Wassermann or Uhlenbrock are forgotten. 

Have to agree there. This thread really concentrated on those who are easily forgotten, either because their British careers were almost over before they started (one or two matches), or they just weren't any good!

No, their British careers weren't that long, but Wasserman and Hack were both very accomplished riders, and like Glucklich, both had decent international careers, include World Final qualification.

Angermuller maybe wasn't quite as impressive in the UK, but again he had a fair reputation in mainland Europe.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Has anyone mentioned Adi Funk?

49 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Has anyone mentioned Adi Funk?

You did... :party:

Actually, iris123 mentioned him in the very first reply on thread. Funny, you can't really say somebody is forgotten when they have such a funky name!

Steve

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

You did... :party:

Actually, iris123 mentioned him in the very first reply on thread. Funny, you can't really say somebody is forgotten when they have such a funky name!

Steve

I think he might have me on ‘ignore’ !!! Can’t for the life of me say why, as I don’t think I have had a Barney with him. But yesterday someone asked if there was any videos from the recent ice speedway meeting in the Netherlands, and I posted a couple. A few hours later customhouse posted that there is one on YouTube!!! The one I had already posted :blink:

I would never ignore you iris. I just get forgetful and confused :blush:.

• Like 1