British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fromafar

End of season average.

Think Ritchie Worrell says it all in this weeks SS,signed for Edinburgh  last year where he loves the track ,not going back though would have been great financially but not average wise as it would be high at the end of the season.Who says riders don’t watch there average. Joke IMO.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Think Ritchie Worrell says it all in this weeks SS,signed for Edinburgh  last year where he loves the track ,not going back though would have been great financially but not average wise as it would be high at the end of the season.Who says riders don’t watch there average. Joke IMO.

Ritchie Worrell?

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Not sure I follow that. From what I can see, last year, he started at 8.52 and ended at 8, 7.8 if he’s allowed the 2.5% reduction. 

Maybe it’s because he’s not improving is why he didn’t get a place at Edinburgh? Maybe there are other reasons?

5 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

Not sure I follow that. From what I can see, last year, he started at 8.52 and ended at 8, 7.8 if he’s allowed the 2.5% reduction. 

Maybe it’s because he’s not improving is why he didn’t get a place at Edinburgh? Maybe there are other reasons?

obviously not,he  has told you the reason he doesn’t want too high an average IMO .

quote:

Edinburgh would be good financially- riding there and scoring good points every week,but Average -wise,I don’t think I would be very attractive come the end of the year.

Does that not tell you something about modern day riders in GB.?

Edited by Fromafar

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

obviously not,he  has told you the reason he doesn’t want too high an average IMO .

quote:

Edinburgh would be good financially- riding there and scoring good points every week,but Average -wise,I don’t think I would be very attractive come the end of the year.

First of all, I’m not sure there’s a connection between him not going back and worrying about his end of 2019 season average. I suspect that, had Edinburgh wanted him, he’d have gone back, so maybe he’s looking for an excuse. 

But, I do take your point that it suggests a lack of ambition when a rider in February 2019  is worried about what his average might be in a year’s time. Whatever he ends up as, he should surely be determined to be the best available whether that’s a 5 pointer, a 12 pointer, or anywhere in between.

Very few good riders miss out on team places at the beginning of a season

4 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

First of all, I’m not sure there’s a connection between him not going back and worrying about his end of 2019 season average. I suspect that, had Edinburgh wanted him, he’d have gone back, so maybe he’s looking for an excuse. 

But, I do take your point that it suggests a lack of ambition when a rider in February 2019  is worried about what his average might be in a year’s time. Whatever he ends up as, he should surely be determined to be the best available whether that’s a 5 pointer, a 12 pointer, or anywhere in between.

Very few good riders miss out on team places at the beginning of a season

In the article he stated Edinburgh offered him a contract.

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

In the article he stated Edinburgh offered him a contract.

You are well ahead of me on this - I haven’t read the article. 

But your point is the article says he was offered a team spot at Edinburgh but turned it down because, although he would earn well, he’d end up with a high average at the end of the season?

Dear me! As you say, a complete lack of ambition. Second strings sometimes do themselves out of a job because their average doesn’t fit, but that’s surely a rarity for heat leaders?

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

You are well ahead of me on this - I haven’t read the article. 

But your point is the article says he was offered a team spot at Edinburgh but turned it down because, although he would earn well, he’d end up with a high average at the end of the season?

Dear me! As you say, a complete lack of ambition. Second strings sometimes do themselves out of a job because their average doesn’t fit, but that’s surely a rarity for heat leaders?

That is my point,I think there are a few riders “playing the averages game” over the last few seasons.The sport has become a bit of a joke all round in recent season and they wonders how they can’t attract new fans.:neutral:

16 hours ago, Fromafar said:

quote:

Not just modern days riders...

I know of one from well over ten years ago who always tried to end up at 5.99 as he was seen as a  'solid six pointer' in the eyes of the promoters, and "5.99 always sounded as if I could improve it!"...

He always started the season well,  ran around a seven plus average, reached the point where he paid the bills for his riding for the season, then would get the calculator out as the season drew to an end as "everything else is bunce"... (He had a Full time job too unlike so many today, so any Speedway 'profit' was icing on his cake)..

He was never short of a team place so his system worked!!:D

Also he got lots of guest bookings keeping his average where it was, and reckoned some were "very good earners"..

About 20 years ago I had a conversation one night late in the season with a Promoter and suggested he might sign a rider who we were watching perform well. The same rider had been quoted that week in the SS as "never wanting the season to end", such was his upturn in form..

The Promoter told me he would never sign any rider based on late season form as he could never be sure if it was actually the fact that rider had improved or that the others he was racing against were lowering their averages for the following season..

If you use such a daft, easily manipulated system, based on so many variables, then you will always have riders using it to their advantage as why do 'too well' one year and miss the next through your 'success'?

Far more lucrative to do 'ok' for two seasons than 'do well' for one...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Not just modern days riders...

I know of one from well over ten years ago who always tried to end up at 5.99 as he was seen as a  'solid six pointer' in the eyes of the promoters, and "5.99 always sounded as if I could improve it!"...

He always started the season well,  ran around a seven plus average, reached the point where he paid the bills for his riding for the season, then would get the calculator out as the season drew to an end as "everything else is bunce"... (He had a Full time job too unlike so many today, so any Speedway 'profit' was icing on his cake)..

He was never short of a team place so his system worked!!:D

Also he got lots of guest bookings keeping his average where it was, and reckoned some were "very good earners"..

About 20 years ago I had a conversation one night late in the season with a Promoter and suggested he might sign a rider who we were watching perform well. The same rider had been quoted that week in the SS as "never wanting the season to end", such was his upturn in form..

The Promoter told me he would never sign any rider based on late season form as he could never be sure if it was actually the fact that rider had improved or that the others he was racing against were lowering their averages for the following season..

If you use such a daft, easily manipulated system, based on so many variables, then you will always have riders using it to their advantage as why do 'too well' one year and miss the next through your 'success'?

Far more lucrative to do 'ok' for two seasons than 'do well' for one...

Think we all know there is a good number on the same strategy.;)