British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Just One Race (or maybe two!)

Or when Hefenbrock beat Gollob in heat 1 of the German  GP 2007 ?!?

Edited by iris123

1 hour ago, falcace said:

It was. I was there and it was a glorious sunny rare Friday night meeting at Hyde Road. Great that it was captured for posterity too and with the superb commentary of Dave Lanning :-)

I am a big Mort fan, so this gives me ample opportunity to indulge myself. Oddly enough, the ones most etched in the memory were not so much Mort at his best (as above), but scraping through World Championship rounds. In 86, winning his last race at the Intercontinental at Bradford, making a rare start and hanging on from Pedersen, Thorp and Shirra (?) after an otherwise unconvincing meeting. Also, the 87 British Final, being last away in his final ride and facing elimination but picking off Doncaster and Cross (on the last turn) to sneak through. I think it was the relief and living every second of those races that made them so memorable.

Was that the meeting when Carter smashed the track record in his first outing and then Morton came out in his first ride and demolished Carter's time?

39 minutes ago, norbold said:

And Stan Stevens beating Barry Briggs at West Ham.

You beat me to it Norbold.

• Like 1

1969..Swindon v Exeter..Briggs v Ashby neck and neck for 4 laps, Ashby won by a tyre width.

2007..Coventry v Swindon..Swindon needed a 5-1 in last heat to win. Adams was away and gone, Chrzanowski spent 4 laps holding off Schlein and Nicholls, as I leapt around amongst the Bees fans. Incredible speedway.

Edited by auntie doris

If you want to talk about Chris Morton, it's hard to beat his ride against Gundersen and Muller in the 1981 WTC Final at Olching...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

1969..Swindon v Exeter..Briggs v Ashby neck and neck for 4 laps, Ashby won by a tyre width.

2007..Coventry v Swindon..Swindon needed a 5-1 in last heat to win. Adams was away and gone, Chrzanowski spent 4 laps holding off Schlein and Nicholls, as I leapt around amongst the Bees fans. Incredible speedway.

Swindon v Belle Vue 2008      Adams 2. Crumpie 1 three great races i remember Jason taking Adams from the back in heat 1.Then later on Leigh getting his revenge one of the races Crump was all over him but Leigh stood firm.

• Like 1

Not a star rider, but Bob Paulson at Halifax in 68, riding round the boards in heat 13 to beat Boothroyd and Boocock to get a 39-39 draw for Sheffield

and Arnie Haley coming from the back in, 69 in think, to beat Mauger in the silver sash match race at Belle Vue

Andre Compton team riding Benji at Sheffield, he has to just about stop the bike on numerous occasions to get a 5-1, maybe against Stancl, cant remember the year. best team riding I have ever seen

Edited by The Third Man

6 hours ago, norbold said:

And Stan Stevens beating Barry Briggs at West Ham.

Two ex-New Cross riders battling it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Swindon v Belle Vue 2008      Adams 2. Crumpie 1 three great races i remember Jason taking Adams from the back in heat 1.Then later on Leigh getting his revenge one of the races Crump was all over him but Leigh stood firm.

I remember that, and Adams winning his own Farewell meeting..with a second bend swoop from last to first.

57 minutes ago, Split said:

Two ex-New Cross riders battling it out.

I can remember Stan being the last rider to cross the finishing line at the Pan 1963.

8 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Andre Compton team riding Benji at Sheffield, he has to just about stop the bike on numerous occasions to get a 5-1, maybe against Stancl, cant remember the year. best team riding I have ever seen

2006 v Rye House and it was Chris Neath,who was so annoyed by the slow moving Compton rolling roadblock that he chucked his bike down on the infield !

Andre and George Stancl wielding their bikes as weapons and trying to knock each other off.

1985 Golden Helmet match race,Shawn v Hans Nielsen who had set a new track record of 61.4 (it was 63.2 at the start of the meeting).Shawn just gets the drop into the first turn and for the next four laps Hans tries inside and outside to get by,only for Shawn to block (fairly as you would expect) his every move.

Edited by Andrew

Damn, if it were one race, I too would have gone for the Stevens v Briggs race....but I'll "cheat" a little and say any one of Malcolm Simmons rides at Wimbledon in the KO Replay for West Ham in 1965......just unbelievable!

I finally found the match I was looking for - September 1978...

A couple of weeks earlier, Roger Johns had inflicted the only defeat on PC at the Tommy Jansson Memorial. This time it was a league clash against the Aces at Plough Lane.

After a couple of impressive wins against Mort and Les Collins, Johnsy then racked up two brilliant wins over PC to complete an incredible maximum.  One of them saw passing and repassing, and no matter what PC tried, he just couldn't stop him.

We lost 40-38, but seeing a couple of races like that, with Roger coming up trumps both times, it really didn't matter to us!

Steve

• Like 1