British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Just One Race (or maybe two!)

6 hours ago, chunky said:

I finally found the match I was looking for - September 1978...

A couple of weeks earlier, Roger Johns had inflicted the only defeat on PC at the Tommy Jansson Memorial. This time it was a league clash against the Aces at Plough Lane.

After a couple of impressive wins against Mort and Les Collins, Johnsy then racked up two brilliant wins over PC to complete an incredible maximum.  One of them saw passing and repassing, and no matter what PC tried, he just couldn't stop him.

We lost 40-38, but seeing a couple of races like that, with Roger coming up trumps both times, it really didn't matter to us!

Steve

Happiness is 40-38...Though normally that was meant to apply the other way round!

For me I think it would have been Eastbourne about 1977 and strangely it wasn't much of a race but the runaway winner was Gordon Kennett. The reason I remember it especially is it was the first time I'd ever seen a rider go four laps without shutting the throttle. I'd just got a Speedway bike and so was probably paying more attention than before and it really made me doubt my ability for the first time. Of course in later years I had no doubts about my ability, I became well aware I didn't have much of it!

Other races I particularly remember are one with Christer Lofqvist passing Soren Sjosten (I think) third bend of the last lap after being a long way behind at Poole in the early 70's. Something Lofqvist was able to do often enough that it was widely assumed Mr Knott would put his hand in his pocket when it happened.

Also Briggos crash at the Wembley World final when he lost his finger because the bike ended up a few feet from us. Hated Bernt Persson for years after but he turned out to be a really nice bloke.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, The Third Man said:

Not a star rider, but Bob Paulson at Halifax in 68, riding round the boards in heat 13 to beat Boothroyd and Boocock to get a 39-39 draw for Sheffield

and Arnie Haley coming from the back in, 69 in think, to beat Mauger in the silver sash match race at Belle Vue

Andre Compton team riding Benji at Sheffield, he has to just about stop the bike on numerous occasions to get a 5-1, maybe against Stancl, cant remember the year. best team riding I have ever seen

Remember reading Paulson actually beating a peak  Ivan in heat 1 once, at Hyde Rd that took some doing.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

Remember reading Paulson actually beating a peak  Ivan in heat 1 once, at Hyde Rd that took some doing.

Who, if I recall, commited suicide sometime after he retired?

3 minutes ago, Vince said:

For me I think it would have been Eastbourne about 1977 and strangely it wasn't much of a race but the runaway winner was Gordon Kennett. The reason I remember it especially is it was the first time I'd ever seen a rider go four laps without shutting the throttle. I'd just got a Speedway bike and so was probably paying more attention than before and it really made me doubt my ability for the first time. Of course in later years I had no doubts about my ability, I became well aware I didn't have much of it!

Other races I particularly remember are one with Christer Lofqvist passing Soren Sjosten (I think) third bend of the last lap after being a long way behind at Poole in the early 70's. Something Lofqvist was able to do often enough that it was widely assumed Mr Knott would put his hand in his pocket when it happened.

Also Briggos crash at the Wembley World final when he lost his finger because the bike ended up a few feet from us. Hated Bernt Persson for years after but he turned out to be a really nice bloke.

Did Briggo leave a gap Vince ?? or was Bernie to hard?? and what does your gut feeling tell you would Briggo of gone on and been World champ in 1972.?

I think it was Heat 3 of the BLRC at the old Belle Vue. Three riders - Peter Collins, Chris Morton and Shawn Moran swapping positions in a real close scrap throughout. Unfortunately, it is somewhat misted in my memory after 34 years of time, I just remember it being brilliant to watch.

That was a great race, unfortunately, the meeting not covered on TV or by a local video company.

Edited by moxey63

The world cup race at Peterborough between Crump, Zagar & Miedzinski. Was an excellent meeting with a number of good races

23 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

1999 Gollob v Nilsen what a race, how Gollob avoided going through the fence on the last two bends god knows.

Good choice.

I think there was perhaps an even better race in 2001.  Gollob v Hancock v Hamill v Adams, I think it was.  All four lead the race at one point.

6 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I think it was Heat 3 of the BLRC at the old Belle Vue. Three riders - Peter Collins, Chris Morton and Shawn Moran swapping positions in a real close scrap throughout. Unfortunately, it is somewhat misted in my memory after 34 years of time, I just remember it being brilliant to watch.

That was a great race, unfortunately, the meeting not covered on TV or by a local video company.

I have always wanted the 1983 BLRC on dvd i dont think it was televised .Lee got a duck egg first time out got filled in then ended up taking Hans to the cleaners and getting second behind Erik a great meeting.

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Good choice.

I think there was perhaps an even better race in 2001.  Gollob v Hancock v Hamill v Adams, I think it was.  All four lead the race at one point.

A race you should be remember??? The overseas Final Hyde Rd 1983  Andy Grahame, S.Moran, Lee, Phil Collins a great race Phil Collins deservedly ended up winning the meeting.

27 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A race you should be remember??? The overseas Final Hyde Rd 1983  Andy Grahame, S.Moran, Lee, Phil Collins a great race Phil Collins deservedly ended up winning the meeting.

Wasn't there for that one, Sid.  Did the Overseas at White City in '81 and '82.

Rather memorable race in the '82 event, featuring Penhall, Sigalos, Moran and Moran. ;)

I think my dad told me not to make a fuss as we were leaving, because I was one extremely unhappy 9-year-old after the crowd booed Penhall, who was my childhood hero.

Edited by lucifer sam

12 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Wasn't there for that one, Sid.  Did the Overseas at White City in '81 and '82.

Rather memorable race in the '82 event, featuring Penhall, Sigalos, Moran and Moran. ;)

I think my dad told me not to make a fuss as we were leaving, because I was one extremely unhappy 9-year-old after the crowd booed Penhall, who was my childhood hero.

I think the fans reaction really shook Bruce up after that race  Sam.Was it cheating or was it gamesmanship who knows i really liked White City but it was sometimes slick though.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

1999 Gollob v Nilsen what a race, how Gollob avoided going through the fence on the last two bends god knows.

That was the greatest single move I have ever seen in speedway. Nilsen was going flat out, and Gollob went inside him like he was standing still. Then, to totally miss the turn, and cut back inside the way he did...

Steve