British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Just One Race (or maybe two!)

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

A lot of people DID take notice of it, especially when the named riders admitted it, I had quite a large group of friends who travelled to big meetings all over the country and weekly at our local track, they all quit going soon after that.

Didn't follow speedway then..what was the story?

52 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Didn't follow speedway then..what was the story?

Riders were open to bribery, someone would approach a riders and say 'so and so' wants to win the meeting and there's (whatever the inducement was) for you if you let him win the next race and maybe get under everyone else's feet as well. Some were openly bragging about it, some made it obvious when they suddenly slowed to let someone through and this was happening at all levels. It was eventually highlighted in a Sunday newspaper, complete with famous riders openly admitting it and seemingly seeing nothing wrong with it. I can't give figures but it seemed that a significant number of people stopped supporting and It never recovered, I knew a fair number who never went back and now consider the sport a joke. These days I'm sure there's much less of it but riders are still leading the sport's eventual demise by taking more out of it than is going in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terry said:

If I remember correctly Louis could've missed out in a run-off for the last few places if Doncaster had let Screen through. I think Ermolenko and Hancock gave Josh Larsen a 'leg up' in that meeting also.

I always thought it all added to the excitement of those qualifiers, trying to work out who's going to help who in the last round of heats..even though it was basically cheating!

Chris Louis was winning the heat in question and with Screen in third it ensured that Joe didn’t make a run off with Loram Louis and Hamill for 3 spots. Donkey kept Screen behind him and meant there was no need for a run off. Donkey hadn’t qualified he was already out and he blocked Screens every move.

Dont forget Donkeys partner was Pat Louis who was firstly Chris’s mum and secondly mother to Joanne who at that time was Mark Loram partner so of course Donkey wanted those 2 through.

I seem to remember Jonn Louis having a titanic battle with Bruce Penhall at the 1979 BLRC at Hyde Road. The tiger was past his best, but a well deserved winner on the night.

• Like 1

Dick Campbell beating Ivor Brown at old Meadowbank from the back for the Silver Sash is the best I've seen but there can't be many left who also did!

I remember a classic second half race featuring George Hunter and Mike Sampson at Cowley where they passed each other on numerous occasions...could have been set up but I'd like to belive that it was genuine!

The run-off between Martin Ashby and Ray Wilson for the last qualifying place for the World Final during the 1975 British Final at Coventry. Martin could have been more ruthless but being the gentleman that he was/is he raced Ray hard but fair missing out by a tyre at the chequered flag.

Two great Britons during the time that England ruled the speedway world.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I remember that race Steve but I don't think I went to the meeting so I'm guessing it must have been on tv

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bruno said:

I remember that race Steve but I don't think I went to the meeting so I'm guessing it must have been on tv

Yes it was on BBC's 'Sportsnight' if I remember?

Edited by steve roberts

On 3/9/2019 at 7:35 PM, steve roberts said:

The run-off between Martin Ashby and Ray Wilson for the last qualifying place for the World Final during the 1975 British Final at Coventry. Martin could have been more ruthless but being the gentleman that he was/is he raced Ray hard but fair missing out by a tyre at the chequered flag.

Two great Britons during the time that England ruled the speedway world.

People sometimes forget just how good Ray Wilson was i would say from 1967/73 he was in the top 10 /15 riders in the world.His record generally does not show that but i believe he was.Boocock/2 / Betts Wilson, Simmons,Collins, Jessup, Ashby,Louis, (ect) what a generation that was.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

People sometimes forget just how good Ray Wilson was i would say from 1967/73 he was in the top 10 /15 riders in the world.His record generally does not show that but i believe he was.Boocock/2 / Betts Wilson, Simmons,Collins, Jessup, Ashby,Louis, (ect) what a generation that was.

Yes, add Briggo,Mauger,Moore,Olsen,Michanek,Sjösten,Persson,Jansson,Jancarz,Waloszek,Plech one or two Australians like Airey,Valentine or Boulger etc and all those Brits 

Tbh it is hard to put Wilson in the top 10 of the period when you look at his rivals,but top 20 or 30 for sure.Maybe 1 or 2 seasons he just squeezed in,but not over a few seasons

Edited by iris123

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Yes, add Briggo,Mauger,Moore,Olsen,Michanek,Sjösten,Persson,Jansson,Jancarz,Waloszek,Plech one or two Australians like Airey,Valentine or Boulger etc and all those Brits 

Tbh it is hard to put Wilson in the top 10 of the period when you look at his rivals,but top 20 or 30 for sure.Maybe 1 or 2 seasons he just squeezed in,but not over a few seasons

There are at least 5 there who you named, who were not anywhere near Wilson's level Valentine a very strange choice of course he was very talented.

• Like 1

I know you are a fan of Valentine,so I put him in to see what you say

But of course I can add for the period you mention Fundin,Harrfeldt,Plechanov,Eide,Woryna,Löfqvist for any of the 5 you think aren't better

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I know you are a fan of Valentine,so I put him in to see what you say

But of course I can add for the period you mention Fundin,Harrfeldt,Plechanov,Eide,Woryna,Löfqvist for any of the 5 you think aren't better

The era was certainly a special one no doubt about that and all those you named deserve to be mentioned.Wilson for me is in a group of riders who were alot better than there bare results show Adams, E.Boocock, Ashby,Sigalos,Autrey, P.Crump are other examples.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The era was certainly a special one no doubt about that and all those you named deserve to be mentioned.Wilson for me is in a group of riders who were alot better than there bare results show Adams, E.Boocock, Ashby,Sigalos,Autrey, P.Crump are other examples.

I agree there.Just a pity I missed Fundin,Harrfeldt and Plechanov etc at their best

• Like 1