British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Just One Race (or maybe two!)

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I agree there.Just a pity I missed Fundin,Harrfeldt and Plechanov etc at their best

Same as you Iris i never saw Craven or Knutsson either but not to worry eh.Some of those i named i saw alot of so a huge bias is there you tend to do that without realising.Ashby a prime example apart from Norden 1975 wtc and winning the superama he never showed his true worth his World class record in all honesty was modest he was better than that.

• Like 1

Saw quite a lot of Fundin when he signed for the Aces in 1967. He was obviously still a top class rider, though apparently Hyde Road was not a particular favourite of his, not that you would have known from watching him. The first home meeting after he won the world title was against Newcastle. He came round on the tractor with the World Championship trophy, won his first two rides and then was beaten third time out. Who was the Newcastle rider to beat him? It's not the obvious answer....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Saw quite a lot of Fundin when he signed for the Aces in 1967. He was obviously still a top class rider, though apparently Hyde Road was not a particular favourite of his, not that you would have known from watching him. The first home meeting after he won the world title was against Newcastle. He came round on the tractor with the World Championship trophy, won his first two rides and then was beaten third time out. Who was the Newcastle rider to beat him? It's not the obvious answer....

Goog allen

• Like 1

Saw Ove win the World final at Wembley 63..for me he was top rider in early 60s..Briggs top in mid 60s. 

During the 1972 World Final at Wembley when Ole Olsen was pushed out at the first bend by John Louis and ended up at the back but managed to pass him and Bernie Persson before giving chase to leader Christer Lofqvist when he lost it and slid off which effectively ended his chances of retaining his crown. Pure drama. Pure Theatre...and pleased me having never been a fan of him!

Edited by steve roberts

1971 Gordon Kennett stalking John Louis and eventually forcing his way up the inside.

1973 Neil Middleditch passing Arthur Price on the last bend to win the match 40-38 against Boston

1974 Martin Yeates breaking the Arlington track record in Heat 2 the reserves race.

1978 John Barker the Eagles number 7 winning Heat 8 against the Newcastle Tactical Substitutes Tom Owen and Graeme Stapleton

All time favourites were the second half finals in 1971 and 1972 which usually featured Malc Ballard, Gordon and Dave Kennett, Roger Johns and occasionally an opposition heat leader. They were like stock cars on bikes. I don't think the Kennetts and Ballard liked each other much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hawkeyenz said:

1971 Gordon Kennett stalking John Louis and eventually forcing his way up the inside.

1973 Neil Middleditch passing Arthur Price on the last bend to win the match 40-38 against Boston

1974 Martin Yeates breaking the Arlington track record in Heat 2 the reserves race.

1978 John Barker the Eagles number 7 winning Heat 8 against the Newcastle Tactical Substitutes Tom Owen and Graeme Stapleton

All time favourites were the second half finals in 1971 and 1972 which usually featured Malc Ballard, Gordon and Dave Kennett, Roger Johns and occasionally an opposition heat leader. They were like stock cars on bikes. I don't think the Kennetts and Ballard liked each other much.

I never had an issue with the old T/S ruling and I, too, recall when a 'lesser' rider went out and beat tactical moves made by the opposition Team Manager. Used to bring the house down and added an element to the procedings and highlighted the sometimes unpredictabilty of the sport.

We were fortunate at Cowley in watching many of the Eastbourne lads during second halves (which I used to enjoy) and, of course, both Gordon and Malcolm ended up riding for Oxford. I recall that there was some animosity between Ballard and the Kennett brothers and remember when in 1974 during a 4TT held at Eastbourne which involved Oxford (Gordon), Hackney (Dave), Poole (Malcolm) and the home team Ballard got upto all sorts of mischief picking fights with all and sundry! Whatever became of 'Mad Malc'?