British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kitten2502

Helping your club........

There is an interesting thread on the Brummies fans forum in relation to the club asking for volunteers to join working parties to help spruce up the track/stadium/riders changing rooms & coming up with initiatives to raise funds to build a proper pits area for the Development League riders. The thread was started by a "fan" who is offended by the begging nature of the requests for help, so I thought I'd put it out there to see what the general consensus is - would you be offended if your club asked for this kind of help or would you be happy to roll your sleeves up/put your hand in your pocket?

Personally I have given my time to the working parties campaign this year - when work shifts has allowed - and did many weekends pre season last year too. The club provide tea/coffee/biscuits by way of a thank you to those who turn up to help with track spruce up.

Thoughts...……….

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

There is an interesting thread on the Brummies fans forum in relation to the club asking for volunteers to join working parties to help spruce up the track/stadium/riders changing rooms & coming up with initiatives to raise funds to build a proper pits area for the Development League riders. The thread was started by a "fan" who is offended by the begging nature of the requests for help, so I thought I'd put it out there to see what the general consensus is - would you be offended if your club asked for this kind of help or would you be happy to roll your sleeves up/put your hand in your pocket?

Personally I have given my time to the working parties campaign this year - when work shifts has allowed - and did many weekends pre season last year too. The club provide tea/coffee/biscuits by way of a thank you to those who turn up to help with track spruce up.

Thoughts...……….

It's up to the individuals. Some can or can't work, but can still assist in many ways. If someone is offended by that, perhaps Brum can do without him as he sounds like he would try and spread his obsessions. Every track needs every fan, but remember what a bad apple does to the rest eventually.

• Like 1

Quite honestly, it's nothing new. A lot of speedway clubs - and even smaller football clubs - have requested for fans to help with things, whether it's painting and fixing things, or just clearing up trash. Nothing wrong with that at all; if you want to help, fine, and if you don't want to help, fine. Not like anybody is forcing you to do anything.

With the fragile financial status of most clubs, it makes sense. Even if they weren't in that state, I would have no problem in helping. It can actually feel good to be involved, and to make a difference.  Give me free drinks and biccies, and I'll be there!

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

What is there to be offended about?

If you want to help your club, you can.    If you don't want to help, you don't have to.

If you've got some time to spare, you might be able to help.  If you haven't got spare time, no one is forcing you, or penalising you for not helping.

Lots of clubs, societies, sports teams, theatres, churches, schools, scouts etc etc rely on volunteer help.

Whether its helping paint the changing rooms of your local football team or speedway team, helping out at the kids' school sports day, donating costumes to the local theatre amateur dramatic society, making chutney for the church jamboree, or organising the Rotary Club annual dance, the world might be a better place if more people gave up a few hours of their time to get out and help an organisation close to their heart rather than sitting at home behind a keyboard moaning and being unnecessarily offended by everything.

• Like 3

What is there to be offended about? Don't do it if you don't want, do it if you do. I coached football for donkeys years and never got a penny for petrol or time - no one made me do it

• Like 2

A regular thing with the 2 clubs nearest to me.Asking for help painting,cutting grass or repairing things.Everything is provided as well as food and drink.Just got to have the time and it is your decision to turn up or not.

Same as some conservation groups ask you to help clear up a beach or river bank etc

Don’t see why anyone can get upset

Edited by iris123

Likewise i can't see why anyone would be offended or consider it begging if the clubs are asking for assistance / manpower. Financial aid is slightly different mostly from riders that gripes a little, especially when its the same ones year on year. But for clubs looking to improve things (and especially the dire/dangerous 2nd half pits at Brum).

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Likewise i can't see why anyone would be offended or consider it begging if the clubs are asking for assistance / manpower. Financial aid is slightly different mostly from riders that gripes a little, especially when its the same ones year on year. But for clubs looking to improve things (and especially the dire/dangerous 2nd half pits at Brum).

Er ... there weren't any second half pits, dire or dangerous, which is why they are being built now! As for the original question, everybody and his dog knows that the 'fan' in question is not the sharpest tool in the box.

25 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Er ... there weren't any second half pits, dire or dangerous...…... 

There was an allocated space for the Bulls/juniors - however it was FAR from ideal - hence why it is being addressed.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

There was an allocated space for the Bulls/juniors - however it was FAR from ideal - hence why it is being addressed.

Yes, I know all about that, having helped a rider who had to use this space a few times! Most stadiums have GL riders parked up some corner on the dirt ... Which is why I am glad that the Birmingham promotion is doing something. The only other track which has second-half pits is Stoke.

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Yes, I know all about that, having helped a rider who had to use this space a few times! Most stadiums have GL riders parked up some corner on the dirt ... Which is why I am glad that the Birmingham promotion is doing something. The only other track which has second-half pits is Stoke.

Berwick has 2nd half pits

• Like 2

I offered my input to the Belle Vue programme in 1990, which I contributed to for 18 years and received a complimentary pass for my efforts. Belle Vue banked money from programme sales

Yet I am called a freeloader!

6 hours ago, *JJ said:

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Along with Kings Lynn, Belle Vue, Rye house, Cov and im sure a few others. All most 2nd half riders really want is a bit of space, level ground and some level of light. There are plenty which do just that and plenty who just see the additional riders to accommodate as a nuisance. 

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

And Redcar.

• Like 1

Asking fans for help with pre-season tidying up is a common thing.  At Hull , Craven Park there were promises of tea / coffee & biccies, with maybe fish & chips if the work extended past tea-time, sadly I was never able to join the fun as it was always on a week day.  Two local girls regularly tidied up pits, changing rooms, etc.  On one occasion help was requested to paint the safety fence, one enterprising chap turned up and painted the entire fence, kickboards on straights boards on the bends, all by himself taking some 8 hours.  Refused any form of payment, now that's dedication.  Also, pit accomodation for 2nd halfers was roomy, in front of the old dog kennels....

Edited by martinmauger
added pits info
  • Thanks 2