British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Another Speedway Closes

In 1997 one could have bought Hull's Craven Park stadium lock stock and barrel for, wait for it, just £600,000 - bargain mate !  A relatively new venue, built in 1989, in 1997 Craven Park was running speedway (yay!), rugby, thrice weekly greyhounds, and had many bookings in the function rooms and today with little alterations also hosts dance / excercise classes.  This (together with speedway & dogs) would easily have fitted into the late Ian Thomas' mantra of 'not opening a shop for just one day a week but probably still paying rates for 12 months'.  To say the least.  Though understadably my interest in the activities at CP are nil there's zip chance of a speedway return as turns 3 & 4 had a blooming great stand built on them.  Apart from that new stand and 99% disappearence of the speedway track (still a wee bit of shale here and there) the place looks the pretty much same as it did pre-2005, when speedway ended (sad).  In fact the turns 1 & 2 area, especially the terracing, was knee deep in weeds the last time I looked.   These days think the only activities taking place are rugby and the dance / excercise stuff. Sigh.....

Edited by martinmauger
added CP stuff
  • Sad 1

On 2/28/2019 at 12:13 AM, Gemini said:

How can you say the only bit that's true is he bought it with the intention of building houses?  So you are saying it's lies how he made his money, owned a hotel etc? Anyway, you still didn't answer my question about the Ochiltree's having no idea he was a property developer which is what you are implying. I can't believe that. The Ochiltree's wanted to sell and didn't really care who bought the stadium as long as somebody did. They didn't have the passion for Coventry Speedway that Charles did.

Did they sell it to Sandhu .or did Sandhu buy somebody elses share and it was out of their hands ?, anyway  I don't consider it worthwhile debating with someone who posts and obviously believes  every word of Sandhus spin . If you want to blame the Ochiltrees  fine by me . you'll get no further argument ,because i have better things to do with my time ,  I'll see you in the new stadium  that Sandhu swore to find for  his beloved Bees , perhaps you could remind him i think he's forgot to look for somehwere B)

In other words you don't know what happened and neither do I. Unfortunately it makes no difference to me now whether there is a new stadium or not but I wish those who are working hard to try to get back to Brandon good luck. One thing we do agree on is Sandhu didn't fulfill his promise. 

13 hours ago, Gemini said:

In other words you don't know what happened and neither do I. Unfortunately it makes no difference to me now whether there is a new stadium or not but I wish those who are working hard to try to get back to Brandon good luck. One thing we do agree on is Sandhu didn't fulfill his promise

Is anyone surprised?

Sadly ~ No, but perhaps it would have all been different if what happened in the Winter of 2010/11 could have been avoided. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, Gemini said:

Sadly ~ No, but perhaps it would have all been different if what happened in the Winter of 2010/11 could have been avoided. 

It was long after 2011 that Sandhu promised to find somewhere else , only a fool or group of fools would believe anything  he said

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adonis said:

It was long after 2011 that Sandhu promised to find somewhere else , only a fool or group of fools would believe anything  he said

What I meant was perhaps things would have turned out differently if there hadn't been that upset in 2011 and Sandhu had kept his interest in Speedway instead of becoming disillusioned with the sport. I think we all agree he didn't keep his promise afterwards. 

• Like 3