British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Unforeseen circumstances

I wish I had a fiver for every time that something happening in speedway was explained by the phrase "unforeseen circumstances".

Glasgow appear to be the latest in a long line of clubs to use the phrase; although they have course have now issued a fuller explanation over the Lawlor/Bickley switch.

The moral of the story is:

If you use the phrase unforeseen circumstances, explain what they were.

Shall we keep a record of how many times we spot the phrase this year :neutral:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I wish I had a fiver for every time that something happening in speedway was explained by the phrase "unforeseen circumstances".

Glasgow appear to be the latest in a long line of clubs to use the phrase; although they have course have now issued a fuller explanation over the Lawlor/Bickley switch.

It's like the phrase the politicians use 'let me be clear', when they are anything but clear! :o

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

There is an explanation on the Glasgow thread.

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

It's like the phrase the politicians use 'let me be clear', when they are anything but clear! :o

Or when organisations state "lessons will be learnt" for the umpteenth time following many screw ups, because they either do not think about a problem or ignore advice and information from others because they think they know best.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 2

My "favourite" is  - " in the best interests of the sport". That seems to be as loose and meaningless as anything could be but we do hear it about important things like fixture changes. Seems to be derived from "because I say so".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

There is an explanation on the Glasgow thread.

I noted that in my original post

However, Glasgow used the phrase unforeseen circumstances in the first instance until the heat of social media forced them to come clean

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Or when organisations state "lessons will be learnt" for the umpteenth time following many screw ups, because they either do not thing about a problem or ignore advice and information from others because they think they know best.

As well all know, the lessons are never learned. Good point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

My "favourite" is  - " in the best interests of the sport". That seems to be as loose and meaningless as anything could be but we do hear it about important things like fixture changes. Seems to be derived from "because I say so".

Best interests of sport = best interests of person making the decision

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I noted that in my original post

However, Glasgow used the phrase unforeseen circumstances in the first instance until the heat of social media forced them to come clean

Yes and they explained why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

Yes and they explained why.

Only after an uproar.

52 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Only after an uproar.

I think you miss the point being made too easy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tsunami said:

I think you miss the point being made too easy.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse but I don't follow your comment.

All I saw was this:

1. Glasgow sack rider due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
  2. Furious debate here and elsewhere as to what is was
  3. Glasgow make statement to clarify.

Surely, if they had announced the details at the outset, most of this nonsense would have been eliminated. 

Perhaps a case of learning lessons,

Just now, Richard Weston said:

I'm not being deliberately obtuse but I don't follow your comment.

All I saw was this:

1. Glasgow sack rider due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
  2. Furious debate here and elsewhere as to what is was
  3. Glasgow make statement to clarify.

Surely, if they had announced the details at the outset, most of this nonsense would have been eliminated. 

Perhaps a case of learning lessons,

Given what I and others have said or liked, perhaps it is you that needs to read more and learn for the future. Glasgow would appear to be on a hiding for anything with people with your thinking.

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Given what I and others have said or liked, perhaps it is you that needs to read more and learn for the future. Glasgow would appear to be on a hiding for anything with people with your thinking.

Glasgow are just the latest example of unforeseen circumstances.

How come a club whose social media is lauded fell into such a trap?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Glasgow are just the latest example of unforeseen circumstances.

How come a club whose social media is lauded fell into such a trap?

How aloof of you. :nono:

If a rider was in involved in the following what would you announce it.

- the rider is a druggie

- He has lost his licence through drugs/drink and can't drive and has no mate to drive him

- He has nobbled the top riders wife

- He has destroyed a bonding session which has involved the Police, Fire services, sponsors and inconvenienced a whole hotel and their customers and then decries and lies about    the promotion

- He's about to be found guilty in court and going to be put away.

- He's a wife beater and those around him know and are concerned

ETc Etc Etc Etc 

Do you serious think that announcing the full details of cases like that is in the clubs, the sponsors and the riders interest, in order to feed the likes of you to satisfy your curiosity ? 

Remember, that publicity is not good for the club, and the rider will probably suffer and not get a ride in future. A more than adequate rider is readily available to replace and there needs to be harmony as the push for publicity and sponsorship is increasing in readiness for the opening meetings. Said rider decides to have his say and lies about the way the club sacked him and is read by many fans and possibly new fans.

It should be a NO brainer to you.

• Like 7