British Speedway Forum
chunky

How Many...

...nations have been represented in British (league) racing over the years? I know we have had some newer ones represented in recent years, particularly with the breakup of some of the Eastern European nations (and both the old and the new count if riders actually represented that particular nation at that time). A straightforward name-change doesn't count as two (Rhodesia/Zimbabwe).

NO!!! MARK LORAM DOES NOT COUNT AS MALTESE! Neither does Graham Warren count... I am talking about bona fide nationalities...

Apologies if this has been covered before, but it's quite possible that we would have increased the number now.

Here is a start :

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.

France, Netherlands, Germany, West Germany.

Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada.

Argentina, Zimbabwe, South Africa.

Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland.

Over to you...

Steve

Hungary - Zoltan Adorjan

Latvia Andrzej Lebedevs

Russia Ilya Bondarenko

Estonia Rene Aas

East Germany Gerhardt Uhlenbrock

Czech Republic George Stancl

Czechoslovakia Jiri Stancl

Croatia Jurica Pavlic

In 1973 when Gerhard Uhlenbrock rode for Coventry he was also riding for West Germany.

Maybe  Dinse or someone  rode as East Germans?But Hehlert also turned out for West Germany so doubt he qualifies.

But really Chunky is making the mistake of thinking there were 3 German states,when in reality there was only 2. East Germany joined the Bundesrepublik or the 5 states became part of it.They didn’t form a new state

So you will only find two sets of German champions for instance,not 3.There isn’t a West Germany and then a Germany.West and East are colloquial terms.

Edited by iris123

Northern Ireland, Guernsey and Jersey, although the latter two are British Crown dependencies rather than 'nations'.

15 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Northern Ireland, Guernsey and Jersey, although the latter two are British Crown dependencies rather than 'nations'.

That's what I was looking for! I can't remember who was from where, but that's why I didn't mention the Channel Islands. Would that be Hughie Saunders and Marcus Bisson? I wasn't sure about Northern Ireland....

Have we had any Manx?

Steve

Northern Ireland is not a "nation" it is an integral part of the United Kingdom.

35 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's what I was looking for! I can't remember who was from where, but that's why I didn't mention the Channel Islands. Would that be Hughie Saunders and Marcus Bisson? I wasn't sure about Northern Ireland....

Have we had any Manx?

Steve

Yes, Saunders from Guernsey and Bisson from Jersey.  John Fitzpatrick (Stoke, Southampton, West Ham, Rayleigh, Yarmouth, Ipswich, New Cross, Middlesbrough) was born in Guernsey, as was Stan Mauger (Coventry).  I believe that Andrew Tully (Edinburgh and Scunthorpe) was from the Isle of Man.  An added piece of trivia - Ivan Mauger's grandparents were from Guernsey.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Northern Ireland is not a "nation" it is an integral part of the United Kingdom.

So too is Scotland; does that not count? Or England, for that matter.

The sovereign state is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and comprises four examples of a "country within a country", of which Northern Ireland is one.

Steve

Edited by chunky

1 hour ago, chunky said:

So too is Scotland; does that not count? Or England, for that matter.

The sovereign state is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", and comprises four examples of a "country within a country", of which Northern Ireland is one.

Steve

Well now, look at this way...can England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland join the United Nations in their own right?

The topic is How many Nations have been represented.And then when Jersey is given 'that's  what I was looking for ,is the answer.I'll be blowed :blink:

It'll probably take a while for this to get through,because apparently saying someone is posting bullrubbish is worth a ban,but it is ok to call me names!!!

Edited by iris123

15 minutes ago, norbold said:

Well now, look at this way...can England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland join the United Nations in their own right?

Well now, did the UK lose to Croatia in the World Cup semis?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Well now, did the UK lose to Croatia in the World Cup semis?

Silly me. Of course FIFA takes world precedence over the United Nations.