British Speedway Forum
chunky

How Many...

28 minutes ago, norbold said:

Silly me. Of course FIFA takes world precedence over the United Nations.

Both legitimate international organisations...

Yeah, I know, both are suspect also!

Perhaps we should start again with the question being along the lines of 'How many nations/countries/sovereign states/kingdoms/realms/territories/provinces/principalities/duchies have been represented in British (league) racing over the years?'  I am surprised there has been no reference to Rugby Union's Six Nations tournament, involving France, Italy, Ireland, UK1, UK2 and UK3, with the players born in the latter three 'areas' of England, Scotland and Wales having passports describing their nationality as British.  :)

Picking out special cases mainly due to England and Scotland being in at the start of the sports having a traditional place within the sport.Can also look at Curling where Scotland and England do compete.

But in general internationally run sports don’t recognize them and only GB can compete.Even in speedway which we are talking about they don’t allow England ,Scotland ,Wales or Jersey to compete any more

Still nobody has derived an answer to the question "How many. . . . . "
Seems the answer so far is 29, 32 or 35.
As regards the nations (or Crown Dependencies) of UK, unlike soccer and rugby associations which have their own Scottish, Welsh, Nthn Irish authorities, there's only one motorcycle/speedway authority for the UK, - the ACU is one entity for the whole of the UK.
So does that not make the answer 29 ?
The answer swings on 'Germay', 'West Germany', 'East Germany',  . . . and on  Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. 
Oh, . . .and on Croatia and Slovenia: if we never had a Yugoslav ride in UK, (think not,) then that's an easy 2.

www.speedwaychampions.com
www.speedway-sa.com 

• Like 1

Mentioned before but West and East are colloquialisms didn’t really exist alongside a Germany. It was just Germany and the Communist German state,which later merged into Germany.Just 2 countries . And had there been an East German in British speedway, as both Uhlenbrock and Hehlert were no longer when they rode

3 hours ago, britmet said:

Still nobody has derived an answer to the question "How many. . . . . "
Seems the answer so far is 29, 32 or 35.
As regards the nations (or Crown Dependencies) of UK, unlike soccer and rugby associations which have their own Scottish, Welsh, Nthn Irish authorities, there's only one motorcycle/speedway authority for the UK, - the ACU is one entity for the whole of the UK.
So does that not make the answer 29 ?
The answer swings on 'Germay', 'West Germany', 'East Germany',  . . . and on  Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. 
Oh, . . .and on Croatia and Slovenia: if we never had a Yugoslav ride in UK, (think not,) then that's an easy 2.

www.speedwaychampions.com
www.speedway-sa.com 

If a nation was actually a nation at the time (W. Germany, Czech Republic etc) then that counts.

I know it's a strange situation with the UK, but to my knowledge, while the UK is the sovereign state, the UK has never been represented in international speedway competition! Do we ignore the individual nations of the UK. Do Scotland's appearances in official FIM events (WTC and pairs) not count? Are Simmo's hat-trick of golds and PC's World Cup Final maximums invalid?

Are there any we have missed? Ukraine? I would think so there... Georgia?

Steve

I seem to remember that a rider from Switzerland, known as "the Crazy Butcher from Zurich", the one and only Jessy Inauen, rode at Exeter in the late 80's or early 90's. Not sure though if he rode for the Falcons in league speedway, or if he only rode there in an open individual meeting ?  

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Bavarian said:

I seem to remember that a rider from Switzerland, known as "the Crazy Butcher from Zurich", the one and only Jessy Inauen, rode at Exeter in the late 80's or early 90's. Not sure though if he rode for the Falcons in league speedway, or if he only rode there in an open individual meeting ?  

Bild könnte enthalten: 1 Person, Motorrad und im Freien

On 2/27/2019 at 3:04 PM, chunky said:

Are there any we have missed? Ukraine? I would think so there... Georgia?

Steve

Riders of Ukraine and Georgia were not represented in the British League ...

Brazil Antonio Lindbäck

Would this count even though he rides for Sweden, he was born in Brazil?

Edited by Robbie B
  • Haha 1

On 2/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, norbold said:

Northern Ireland is not a "nation" it is an integral part of the United Kingdom.

Ah but. If the Boococks are going to claim Yorkshire as a sovereign nation and CH and others, Cornwall likewise, NI sort of counts. :P

5 hours ago, Robbie B said:

Brazil Antonio Lindbäck

Would this count even though he rides for Sweden, he was born in Brazil?

Only if Jason Crump counts as British!

On 2/27/2019 at 8:41 AM, iris123 said:

But in general internationally run sports don’t recognize them and only GB can compete.Even in speedway which we are talking about they don’t allow England ,Scotland ,Wales or Jersey to compete any more

I know it's while ago now, but who won the football world cup in 1966?

2 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I know it's while ago now, but who won the football world cup in 1966?

For some strange reason you edited the part of my post out that dealt with that !!!! :blink:

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

For some strange reason you edited the part of my post out that dealt with that !!!! :blink:

Fair comment. I get carried away sometimes!

Anyone know when Wales were recognised as a sovereign nation in the speedway world? [Dad was Welsh]