British Speedway Forum

New Cross i wondered what sort of track was it? i know it was small but was it fast or technical.?Crayford is the smallest track i have been to and being a big Briggo fan i have  always wondered how he got around New Cross so well even though it was not one of his better tracks.

Edited by Sidney the robin

8 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

New Cross i wondered what sort of track was it? i know it was small but was it fast or technical.?Crayford is the smallest track i have been to and being a big Briggo fan i have  always wondered how he got around New Cross so well even though it was not one of his better tracks.

Known as 'The Frying Pan' so I guess that it was circular in shape. It was featured in the film 'Once a Jolly Swagman' and appeared rather small.

I believe it was around 1/8 mile and practically circular.

Frying Pan described its size rather than its shape,. Aerial photos show it had a 2:1 length to width ratio. 
Length was 262 yds up to 1953: 278yds in its brief revival, '59-'63.

www.speedwaychampions.com
www.speedway-sa.com 

Edited by britmet
  • Like 1

Is it possible the area was already known as the frying pan? There is another area known as the frying pan in nearby Clapham

Can't really remember I was only 7!

I seem to recall reading that it was quite heavily banked, which might have contributed to its nickname.

I was only there once in 1963(it's last year but I didn't realise that at the time). I loved it and the racing was great. It didn't ride like a circle like Somerset, but could be ridden very fast for a small track, I would image it could be ridden by big and small track riders alike.  I suppose a bit like Mildenhall.

Without being racist and controversial, it was a big shock for me and my mate visiting New Cross and seeing everyone coloured until we went into the Post Office and got serve by a white guy. It was a shock and eyeopener for someone who comes from Newcastle/North East and had never seen that before at home.  

I had a look at New Cross with a couple of my mates in 1975. The stadium was in a pretty poor state at that stage, but very easy to gain access and have a look around. I've always regretted not having a camera with me that day, because i believe most of it was demolished soon after. I did something very similar with Manchester White City in the 1980's, but again no photographic evidence!

• Like 1

Stop it - it's bringing tears to my eyes! I saw my first speedway meeting at New Cross on 11 May 1960.  Ove Fundin scored an 18 point maximum and Aub Lawson 16 paid 17 for Norwich but New Cross won and Jimmy Gooch was our hero as he managed to beat Lawson in one race. After that first meeting I was a regular there till it finally closed in 1963.

The days of Split Waterman, Barry Briggs, Eric Williams, Jimmy Gooch, Leo McAuliffe, Reg Luckhurst, Doug Davies, Tommy Sweetman, Jimmy Squibb, Reg Reeves, Bob Dugard, Stan Stevens.....oh dear, I've got myself going now...

Although Briggo was, of course, top man in 1960, he didn't cope with it as well as some others, Sidney, and I think, from memory, it was his worst year for many years averagewise. The real master of New Cross was Ove Fundin, who was almost unbeatable at the Frying Pan except for the memorable night when Split Waterman beat him three times. Another rider who was a real master of the track was Jack Young.

And, iris, I think the name the Frying Pan was coined for the track rather than any pre-existing feature.

Edited by norbold
Typo
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, norbold said:

Stop it - it's bringing tears to my eyes! I saw my first speedway meeting at New Cross on 11 May 1960.  Ove Fundin scored an 18 point maximum and Aub Lawson 16 paid 17 for Norwich but New Cross won and Jimmy Gooch was our hero as he managed to beat Lawson in one race. After that first meeting I was a regular there till it finally closed in 1963.

The days of Split Waterman, Barry Briggs, Eric Williams, Jimmy Gooch, Leo McAuliffe, Reg Luckhurst, Doug Davies, Tommy Sweetman, Jimmy Squibb, Reg Reeves, Bob Dugard, Stan Stevens.....oh dear, I've got myself going now...

Although Briggo was, of course, top man in 1960, he didn't cope with it as well as some others, Sidney, and I think, from memory, it was his worst year for many years averagewise. The real master of New Cross was Ove Fundin, who was almost unbeatable at the Frying Pan except for the memorable night when Split Waterman beat him three times. Another rider who was a real master of the track was Jack Young.

And, iris, I think the name the Frying Pan was coined for the track rather than any pre-existing feature.

Briggo was a big guy and had quite a awkward  riding style not the best technical rider not by a long chalk.As Norbold said he was well beatable there but i often think that one year riding there taught him one hell of alot and helped him prolong his career and stay  world class until 1972.When i think of small track riders i always think of Gordon Kennett he left a small track and conquered White City.Then  i feel he should of moved to Swindon rather than go back to Eastbourne riding a technical track then going to a racey track is very difficult.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Gordon was brilliant at Wimbledon until he re signed for the Dons in 1984. He just couldn't get around the place, although he was far better there with Eastbourne in the NL era.

13 hours ago, norbold said:

What about my man Ronnie Moore. Was Mirac good at the frying pan.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

What about my man Ronnie Moore. Was Mirac good at the frying pan.

Yes, sadly, he was very good at New Cross. Wimbledon being our local rivals and all!

But then he was good everywhere!