British Speedway Forum

52 minutes ago, norbold said:

Yes, sadly, he was very good at New Cross. Wimbledon being our local rivals and all!

But then he was good everywhere!

Too right he was. I only saw him on his return in 1969, but i grew up with tales from my parents on how good he was in his first spell with the Dons.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Too right he was. I only saw him on his return in 1969, but i grew up with tales from my parents on how good he was in his first spell with the Dons.

Technically, he was the best rider I ever saw. He could do anything on a bike! I think the only thing he lacked that prevented him from winning more World titles was that ruthless killer instinct as typified by riders like Fundin, Briggs, Mauger and Rickardsson. He was too much of a gentleman! And he always put his team first before his own individual ambitions. 

Although, as I said, he was the "enemy", being the star of our closest rivals, I really came to admire him over the years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I saw him during his last season at Wimbledon in 1972 and he was still a very classy rider registering a healthy 10 plus average.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I saw him during his last season at Wimbledon in 1972 and he was still a very classy rider registering a healthy 10 plus average.

The last time i saw Ronnie ride, was in a series of match races against Briggo at Wimbledon in 1974.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, norbold said:

Technically, he was the best rider I ever saw. He could do anything on a bike! I think the only thing he lacked that prevented him from winning more World titles was that ruthless killer instinct as typified by riders like Fundin, Briggs, Mauger and Rickardsson. He was too much of a gentleman! And he always put his team first before his own individual ambitions. 

Although, as I said, he was the "enemy", being the star of our closest rivals, I really came to admire him over the years. 

Ronnie had the break from Wimbledon in 1964 after a badly broken leg( did he do car racing???) and  he did not comeback until 1969.So his WF record was still very good in very strong era's  winnner ( 2) and World number 2 (3 times) a great rider rode great racing  lines.I only see Ronnie ride four times but what a class act he was i still keep his prized autograph with pride and i still put him in the same bracket as Barry/Ivan.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

On 3/5/2019 at 8:14 PM, Tsunami said:

I was only there once in 1963(it's last year but I didn't realise that at the time). I loved it and the racing was great. It didn't ride like a circle like Somerset, but could be ridden very fast for a small track, I would image it could be ridden by big and small track riders alike.  I suppose a bit like Mildenhall.

Without being racist and controversial, it was a big shock for me and my mate visiting New Cross and seeing everyone coloured until we went into the Post Office and got serve by a white guy. It was a shock and eyeopener for someone who comes from Newcastle/North East and had never seen that before at home.  

Cramlington was full of black faces when the pits were there! Went to see a Millwall game 4 months ago, New Cross has big ethnic population, but very few in the New Den. Most of the white faces have moved to Kent.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Cramlington was full of black faces when the pits were there! Went to see a Millwall game 4 months ago, New Cross has big ethnic population, but very few in the New Den. Most of the white faces have moved to Kent.

Most real Londoners have fled the nest, me included. I still work in the smoke, but i hate the place. Now Rye and Lakeside have gone, ill be there even less. Although i still travel in to watch the gooners, which is more pain than pleasure these days. 

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Most real Londoners have fled the nest, me included. I still work in the smoke, but i hate the place. Now Rye and Lakeside have gone, ill be there even less. Although i still travel in to watch the gooners, which is more pain than pleasure these days. 

Left souf-east London for Swindon in1967, used to go back in the 70s to watch The Arsenal. Over a million Londoners left to settle in the 50 overspill expanded/new towns, plus the few million others, mainly working class.Peckham has been part gentrified, so locals are priced out. Couldn't live there now meself, too noisy, fast, and crime ridden.

Used to watch New Cross Wimbledon Ackney Wet Spam but now probably Kent and Eastbourne are nearest to the capital with no Rye or Lakeside.

Edited by auntie doris

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Left souf-east London for Swindon in1967, used to go back in the 70s to watch The Arsenal. Over a million Londoners left to settle in the 50 overspill expanded/new towns, plus the few million others, mainly working class.Peckham has been part gentrified, so locals are priced out. Couldn't live there now meself, too noisy, fast, and crime ridden.

Used to watch New Cross Wimbledon Ackney Wet Spam but now probably Kent and Eastbourne are nearest to the capital with no Rye or Lakeside.

I'm in Gustix territory a bit south of Peckham but totally agree.  South of the river is either gentrified or the other extreme and is no place to grow old i think. 

I definitely plan to visit Eastbourne as much as i can this season.  Only an hour and a bit down there from here i reckon and not been there in years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

I'm in Gustix territory a bit south of Peckham but totally agree.  South of the river is either gentrified or the other extreme and is no place to grow old i think. 

I definitely plan to visit Eastbourne as much as i can this season.  Only an hour and a bit down there from here i reckon and not been there in years.

I was born and bred in south west London. When the local eateries start putting tables and chairs on the pavement you know things are changing. The vast majority of my meetings next season will be at Eastbourne, Kent and the IOW. My trips north of the river will be few and far between.

15 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

South of Peckham...Dulwich very expensive, Sydenham, Crystal Palace.If I was a millionaire would live in Richmond upon Thames.Swindon property prices are half of London, even about half of  Oxford and Reading both 30/40 miles away.

Edited by auntie doris

Probably 50-50 with my family.My sister still lives very central in Lambeth Walk and my parents in Merton and a lot of my family still live in Wandsworth.Some though live further afield near Southampton or Bedford and my Auntie live in Kings Lynn Of all places.Lost Touch with others who lived in Bermondsey and Walthamstow , so no idea if any still live there

Edited by iris123

Can remember that last meeting at New Cross in 63. Stevens won last heat, Squibbo last to cross line. A loss to Poole. My fav was Penniket, number 5. Reg and Eddie Reeves, father and son, Lukehurst, Dugard, Squibbo was the top man. No idea what the crowd numbers were?

18 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Can remember that last meeting at New Cross in 63. Stevens won last heat, Squibbo last to cross line. A loss to Poole. My fav was Penniket, number 5. Reg and Eddie Reeves, father and son, Lukehurst, Dugard, Squibbo was the top man. No idea what the crowd numbers were?

Probably good by todays standards. In West Ham's last top flight season, attendances averaged 3000. A figure that was considered a disaster at the time. 

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Probably good by todays standards. In West Ham's last top flight season, attendances averaged 3000. A figure that was considered a disaster at the time. 

Now Swindon only average about half that, and are one of speedway best supported clubs. 3000 at The Abbey is a fantastic crowd.