British Speedway Forum

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:33 AM, norbold said:

Stop it - it's bringing tears to my eyes! I saw my first speedway meeting at New Cross on 11 May 1960.  Ove Fundin scored an 18 point maximum and Aub Lawson 16 paid 17 for Norwich but New Cross won and Jimmy Gooch was our hero as he managed to beat Lawson in one race. After that first meeting I was a regular there till it finally closed in 1963.

The days of Split Waterman, Barry Briggs, Eric Williams, Jimmy Gooch, Leo McAuliffe, Reg Luckhurst, Doug Davies, Tommy Sweetman, Jimmy Squibb, Reg Reeves, Bob Dugard, Stan Stevens.....oh dear, I've got myself going now...

Although Briggo was, of course, top man in 1960, he didn't cope with it as well as some others, Sidney, and I think, from memory, it was his worst year for many years averagewise. The real master of New Cross was Ove Fundin, who was almost unbeatable at the Frying Pan except for the memorable night when Split Waterman beat him three times. Another rider who was a real master of the track was Jack Young.

And, iris, I think the name the Frying Pan was coined for the track rather than any pre-existing feature.

As I think I've mentioned before, I also saw my first speedway meeting at New Cross in 1960 but only at the end of the season so Norbold beat me by a few months. I saw most of the meetings in '61 though when Gooch, McAuliffe and Luckhurst were the second strings. They all went on to become world finalists by which time I think the heat leaders (Waterman, Davies and Williams) had all retired.

OK, so I'll chime in now.....I also saw my first Speedway meeting at New Cross in 1959, went to most meetings in 1960, 61 and 63 before following West Ham in 1964 until their close in 1972. Just as a side note, also saw West Ham in the two meetings in Holland before the disaster in 1970.

Back to NX.....great little track.....wish it were still there!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, andout said:

OK, so I'll chime in now.....I also saw my first Speedway meeting at New Cross in 1959, went to most meetings in 1960, 61 and 63 before following West Ham in 1964 until their close in 1972. Just as a side note, also saw West Ham in the two meetings in Holland before the disaster in 1970.

Back to NX.....great little track.....wish it were still there!

Pretty impressive. I went the the Lokeren memorial meeting on that sunny sunday all those years ago. Sometimes i wish you could bottle those moments in time and visit them again!

• Like 2