British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kempol

What matches had the biggest attendance in Speedway history?

Late 70s at The Abbey estimated 17000..the gates were locked hundreds outside..Golden Helmet showdown.

In 1968 GB v Sweden also at Swindon..officially 12000 there but hundreds climbed in

I do remember some meetings at Plough Lane in the early 70s where you had difficulty finding a way through the crowd.The gangways were pretty well blocked.But they were mostly individual(Internationale,2nd Division Riders or even the early Spring Classics or test match meetings.I seem to recall one of the England v USA tests in the early 80s being packed where I was.But maybe by that stage some of the stadium was closed off

22 hours ago, iris123 said:

I do remember some meetings at Plough Lane in the early 70s where you had difficulty finding a way through the crowd.The gangways were pretty well blocked.But they were mostly individual(Internationale,2nd Division Riders or even the early Spring Classics or test match meetings.I seem to recall one of the England v USA tests in the early 80s being packed where I was.But maybe by that stage some of the stadium was closed off

In the early 70's the internationale used to pull in 20,000. The test match you refer to was the 1980 series. The stadium was partly closed to speedway in the NL era.

I went to the championship decider at Brandon between Coventy and Hull (Leicester followed on if I recall) in 1979 and the attendance at that meeting was pretty enormous I remember.

34 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I went to the championship decider at Brandon between Coventy and Hull (Leicester followed on if I recall) in 1979 and the attendance at that meeting was pretty enormous I remember.

I've got a mate that went to that. He reckons it was close to 20,000. Incredible really.

• Like 1

an entry in the guiness bokok of records  ,  claimed over 100,000 for a league match at Bradford

• Like 1

I was at the Coventry v Hull league decider in 1979 and I think the attendance was given as 23,000. It was certainly a huge crowd and I remember having to park about a mile away from the stadium.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

I was at the Coventry v Hull league decider in 1979 and I think the attendance was given as 23,000. It was certainly a huge crowd and I remember having to park about a mile away from the stadium.

'I was there' too, rammed, packed it was....

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, adonis said:

an entry in the guiness bokok of records  ,  claimed over 100,000 for a league match at Bradford

Yes - but it was a Rugby League match, 104,000 odd.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

Yes - but it was a Rugby League match, 104,000 odd.

ok

i got that wrong then

On 3/12/2019 at 9:30 AM, Grachan said:

The biggest crowd I ever saw at Swindon was a double header in 1974 against Hackney and Belle Vue - with Bob Kilby guesting for the opposition in both matches.

I didn't even get in the stadium until about heat 4 of the first match because of the queues, and you literally could barely move in the stadium. It was rammed solid all the way round. That was my first season watching speedway, and I've never seen a crowd like that since at a domestic meeting.

These days the sport would be ridiculed for this, "how can the sport be taken seriously?". Ah, the good old days :-)

• Like 1

The biggest attendance ever is generally regarded as the ‘73 WF at Katowice , estimated at 130,000.