British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

7 teams in M+SDL in 2019 plus squads

For all its faults and mismanagement, and lets face it they are legion, glad to see logic has at least prevailed in the M+SDL with Reading racing at Swindon, Weymouth at Poole and Exeter at Plymouth.  My fragile faith in the speedway gods is at least partly restored.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pine490 said:

For all its faults and mismanagement, and lets face it they are legion, glad to see logic has at least prevailed in the M+SDL with Reading racing at Swindon, Weymouth at Poole and Exeter at Plymouth.  My fragile faith in the speedway gods is at least partly restored.

Until next year when all teams without their own track are prevented from racing and the development leagues are consigned to the history books :sad:

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Until next year when all teams without their own track are prevented from racing and the development leagues are consigned to the history books :sad:

They aren't prevented. I don't know why Rob said that in the SS article.

The fact is that each club have to show sufficient evidence that they are attempting to find land to bring Speedway back to the area they are representing. If they cannot do that to the satisfaction of the BSPA they won't be allowed to continue using the defunct club's name.

There is some question as to what satisfies the BSPA, but going by what Rob claimed he is doing, he shouldn't have a problem. 

Whether this "rule" is viewed as fair or not, it certainly isn't as Rob suggested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skydog said:

They aren't prevented. I don't know why Rob said that in the SS article.

The fact is that each club have to show sufficient evidence that they are attempting to find land to bring Speedway back to the area they are representing. If they cannot do that to the satisfaction of the BSPA they won't be allowed to continue using the defunct club's name.

There is some question as to what satisfies the BSPA, but going by what Rob claimed he is doing, he shouldn't have a problem. 

Whether this "rule" is viewed as fair or not, it certainly isn't as Rob suggested.

The danger is clearly the "sufficient" element. Exeter providing they have everything well documented sound like they are sorted, Im sure i have read that Reading are active in the search but it still leaves the others who im certain are a little quieter on that front. Should Camarthen, Weymouth or Milton Keynes not be able to satisfy the requirements the league would be in major jeopardy. 

All the club's claim to be making efforts. This isn't a new stipulation, we have to do this every year.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, skydog said:

All the club's claim to be making efforts. This isn't a new stipulation, we have to do this every year.

2 hours ago, kelvinlapworth said:

t the truth is some of the people who run the other "ghost teams" are simply using defunct names to play fantasy speedway with real riders. Sorry to be harsh but that is the brutal truth.

Glory hunters who won't put their money where their mouths are.

It can't have always been the case that teams using a historic name have to be actively looking for a new site in their area, because just a few years ago there was a team called "Mercia Vikings"  and there hasn't been any "Mercia" land or any Vikings since the days of King Cnut and Knig Harthacnut over a thousand years ago!

The Cnut running them must have been a 1,000 year old Glory hunter using a defunct name to play fantasy speedway who wouldn't put their Danegeld where their mouths are!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

It can't have always been the case that teams using a historic name have to be actively looking for a new site in their area, because just a few years ago there was a team called "Mercia Vikings"  and there hasn't been any "Mercia" land or any Vikings since the days of King Cnut and Knig Harthacnut over a thousand years ago!

The Cnut running them must have been a 1,000 year old Glory hunter using a defunct name to play fantasy speedway who wouldn't put their Danegeld where their mouths are!

Hmmm! Unless I've been suffering from dementia for the last 10 years I seem to recall that the Mercia Vikings were in fact the Coventry "Mercia Vikings" hence they were Coventry's junior/MDL team so I'm not sure where you get the ghost team idea from?

This may help you ... http://www.coventry-speedway.com/news_mdl.php?cat.5

Edited by kelvinlapworth

15 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Actually, the name 'Mercia' is very much alive, being used by the Army the Police and the Girl Guides to mention but three without taking any thought!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kelvinlapworth said:

Hmmm! Unless I've been suffering from dementia for the last 10 years I seem to recall that the Mercia Vikings were in fact the Coventry "Mercia Vikings" hence they were Coventry's junior/MDL team so I'm not sure where you get the ghost team idea from?

Dementia it must be.

The Mercia Vikings were a ghost team run out of Sheffield by what I can only assume fits your description of a Glory Hunter playing fantasy speedway,

http://www.speedwayplus.com/Vikings2012.shtml

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WalterPlinge said:

Dementia it must be.

The Mercia Vikings were a ghost team run out of Sheffield by what I can only assume fits your description of a Glory Hunter playing fantasy speedway,

http://www.speedwayplus.com/Vikings2012.shtml

Well done Sir, Very well done. I take my hat off to you for finding that one. I bet you got a little stiffie when you came across that page and had to sneak into the kitchen for a crafty pocket shuffle. £2 a year - what was I thinking??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kelvinlapworth said:

Well done Sir, Very well done. I take my hat off to you for finding that one. I bet you got a little stiffie when you came across that page and had to sneak into the kitchen for a crafty pocket shuffle. £2 a year - what was I thinking??

I'm sensing a renewed interest  in speedway  Kelvin  , New Project to come ?:D   . Veterans league maybe , I'll get your first rider signed up ..lol   how about  political league speedway . you run conservatives , I'll run ukip . find somebody and 7 hasbeens to run the LIb dems , and an idiot along with 7 other fools to run Labour ,  4 team tournaments what do you reckon ?

Edited by adonis

On 3/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, kelvinlapworth said:

In fairness when i read your original post which has now vanished i thought you were digging out the MK Knights. Whilst the ideal is that all ghost teams are doing their best to find a new venue of their own not all have the funding to setup a fresh lets be honest how many established clubs can start up again, Cradley for example have been trying without success for ages and have much deeper pockets than most. But by keeping the team name going the hard working groups of supporters are keeping the interest afloat and by having an active team name is still a positive step to the sport returning to the area.

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In fairness when i read your original post which has now vanished i thought you were digging out the MK Knights. Whilst the ideal is that all ghost teams are doing their best to find a new venue of their own not all have the funding to setup a fresh lets be honest how many established clubs can start up again, Cradley for example have been trying without success for ages and have much deeper pockets than most. But by keeping the team name going the hard working groups of supporters are keeping the interest afloat and by having an active team name is still a positive step to the sport returning to the area.

It wouldn't bother me if any ghost team didn't have a snowballs of finding a new home , Lets face it if Coventry bees can't .what chance has Milton keynes got ,  The idea of the league is to provide a stepping stone to a team place ,somewhere they are fortunate enough to have a track/Team , what does it matter If MK or anybody else runs a team and provides new riders for established teams ,  the MDL in it's glory days ,before it was mismanaged and mistreated having served it's purpose for some , was a production line ,the like of which I had never seen before and am unlikely to see again

• Like 1