British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your club's all-time top team

9 hours ago, norbold said:

The problem I have with this is, do you mean when they were actually riding for the club, or over their whole career? My best example of this would be Split Waterman. If it was over his whole career he would certainly make my New Cross team, but if we are just talking about the period he was actually at New Cross, probably not.

Over their whole career. If only during their Hammers spell or only riders I personally saw, I would have a different 8.

• Like 1

Riders I've seen for the Dons in no particular order. O.Nygren, T.Hedge, R.Moore, T.Jansson, B.Briggs, E.Jancarz & one of Ross, Jessup or Simmo!

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Over their whole career. If only during their Hammers spell or only riders I personally saw, I would have a different 8.

Thanks CHR.
If it's over their whole career, then:
Heat Leaders: Tom Farndon, Barry Briggs, Jack Milne

Second Strings: Split Waterman, Lionel Van Praag, Ron Johnson

Reserves: Cyril Roger, Eric Williams

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Thanks Norbold.The Lofqvist situation was the one that was confusing me most.I think when Tommy Jansson first came to Wembley he was down at reserve,so thought maybe Christer was at West Ham.Then it would all fit into place.In fact I think it would be more interesting to make a team up of the best riders who actually rode certain positions,rather than the best 7 or 8 riders.Tatum for instance one of the best reserves I saw at Wimbledon,but not one of the best 7 riders

Yeah, I was there for Christer's debut in 1970, when he scored 7 points in the main body of the team (which wasn't too strong). He maintained that form all year, and ended with a near 8-point average. His worst season was his last, at Hackney, and still averaged over 7 1/2.

Steve

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I was there for Christer's debut in 1970, when he scored 7 points in the main body of the team (which wasn't too strong). He maintained that form all year, and ended with a near 8-point average. His worst season was his last, at Hackney, and still averaged over 7 1/2.

Steve

...of which probably his best score that year was registering 13 points against Oxford which I witnessed in 1975.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

So was i, two race wins from memory. My first ever meeting at West Ham, 39-39 draw against Wimbledon.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

So was i, two race wins from memory. My first ever meeting at West Ham, 39-39 draw against Wimbledon.

Yup, and Sverre broke his arm when Peter Murray took him off right in front of us...

Funny, I saw on another thread where you said you were at the Lokeren Memorial Meeting, and I was there too! There was something special about Custom House (including the breeze coming off the river), and I do miss the place.

Steve

Okay, in view of the distinctions stated, here are my three teams :

All-Time

Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore

Vic Huxley, Vic Duggan

This is where it gets tough, but I will plump for Tommy Jansson and Split Waterman.

At Their Peak

Barry Briggs, Ronnie Moore, Vic Huxley

Olle Nygren, Geoff Mardon

Ron How, Tommy Jansson

Those I Saw (for the Dons)

Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Olle Nygren

Trevor Hedge, Tommy Jansson

Edward Jancarz, Roger Johns (not as consistent as some of the others, but he put in some incredible rides).

Steve

In my lifetime..

Mauger

Hamill

Jason Crump

Chris Morton

Peter Collins

Zagar

Shawn Moran

Edited by mikebv

53 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yup, and Sverre broke his arm when Peter Murray took him off right in front of us...

Funny, I saw on another thread where you said you were at the Lokeren Memorial Meeting, and I was there too! There was something special about Custom House (including the breeze coming off the river), and I do miss the place.

Steve

So do i. I was lucky enough to attend 17 meetings at Custom House between 1970-72. I pleaded with my old man for two weeks to take me to the last ever, in the end he gave in and we went. 

Of those I saw at BV 1958-1982

Ivan Mauger

Ove Fundin

Peter Craven

Peter Collins

Soren Sjoston

Chris Morton

Gote Nordin

21 hours ago, norbold said:

The problem I have with this is, do you mean when they were actually riding for the club, or over their whole career? My best example of this would be Split Waterman. If it was over his whole career he would certainly make my New Cross team, but if we are just talking about the period he was actually at New Cross, probably not.

I think it has to be for the club.

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

I think it has to be for the club.

Apparently not, according to the originator of the thread. See above.

8 hours ago, norbold said:

Apparently not, according to the originator of the thread. See above.

But it would be a bit daft for e.g. an Oxford fan to pick Tony Rickardsson, just because he did a handful of appearances for the club.  I'm sticking with what they've done for the club.

• Like 2