British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your club's all-time top team

4 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

But it would be a bit daft for e.g. an Oxford fan to pick Tony Rickardsson, just because he did a handful of appearances for the club.  I'm sticking with what they've done for the club.

That was the question as to how Simmo and Banger get picked for West Ham, when they performed much much better elsewhere

4 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

But it would be a bit daft for e.g. an Oxford fan to pick Tony Rickardsson, just because he did a handful of appearances for the club.  I'm sticking with what they've done for the club.

Definitely. Likewise a Swindon fan having Maciej Janowski or Jason Crump.

1. Barry Briggs

2. Leigh Adams

3. Phil Crump

4. Jason Doyle

5. Martin Ashby

Reserves!

Jimmy Nilsen and Bob Kilby

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Definitely. Likewise a Swindon fan having Maciej Janowski or Jason Crump.

I was mulling including Leigh Adams of Greg Hancock for Oxford.  But, at the end of day, Todd Wiltshire rode for six seasons with Oxford, rather than two or three, and god knows what would have happened he had not come out of retirement in 2006.  I don't think we'd have lasted that season.  Todd was a loyal servant to Oxford - there was also the time he missed GP practice to ride for the club.

The only "short term" Oxford rider I included was Ron How.  But he was No 1 of a treble-winning-side in 1964 and the club's first World Finalist that same season. 

Edited by lucifer sam

16 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

He never even crossed my mind (although I had left Oxford by then) but wouldn't have come any where near being included in a list of mine.

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I was mulling including Leigh Adams of Greg Hancock for Oxford.  But, at the end of day, Todd Wiltshire rode for six seasons with Oxford, rather than two or three, and god knows what would have happened he had not come out of retirement in 2006.  I don't think we'd have lasted that season.  Todd was a loyal servant to Oxford - there was also the time he missed GP practice to ride for the club.

The only "short term" Oxford rider I included was Ron How.  But he was No 1 of a treble-winning-side in 1964 and the club's first World Finalist that same season

To be fair, Jason Crump was a brilliant number one for Swindon, who practically saved them following their relegation, so could, perhaps, justify inclusion. But it was only for one season and in the lower league, so not for me. Janowski never looked like a world class prospect until leaving Blunsdon though.

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

He never even crossed my mind (although I had left Oxford by then) but wouldn't have come any where near being included in a list of mine.

The last time I went to Oxford was when he was in the team, but pulled out of the meeting beforehand for some reason !!!

From memory Leigh Adams guested instead

Edited by iris123

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The last time I went to Oxford was when he was in the team, but pulled out of the meeting beforehand for some reason !!!

Tony Rickardsson got booted out of the team two weeks early and was replaced by Todd Wiltshire.  The first meeting with Todd was a home win over Coventry, with the team spirit completely transformed.  To be fair, I think Rickardsson had already lost interest in speedway – with hindsight, he should have retired on top of the podium in 2005.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I have to say that I was never a fan of Rickardsson.

6 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Tony Rickardsson got booted out of the team two weeks early and was replaced by Todd Wiltshire.  The first meeting with Todd was a home win over Coventry, with the team spirit completely transformed.  To be fair, I think Rickardsson had already lost interest in speedway – with hindsight, he should have retired on top of the podium in 2005.

Just checked and it was 29th March v Wolves, and I was right for once, Leigh Adams guested,but TRick was all over the programme.Front and back cover and inside receiving the rider of the night trophy etc

• Like 2

I remember him going through the card against Reading in a bank holiday morning meeting at Cowley. I also saw a few of his meetings in his short stint at Arena Essex.

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I remember him going through the card against Reading in a bank holiday morning meeting at Cowley. I also saw a few of his meetings in his short stint at Arena Essex.

That was the last home meeting.

At Reading in the evening, he trailed around at the back of Heat 13 and then refused to go out in Heat 15, and Aaron Lanney blasted him over the PA. Todd Wiltshire was ready to come in, so Rickardsson's stint was ended two weeks early. 

As I said, I think his interest in speedway was already slipped.  It slipped further when Crump started giving him a good hiding in the GP series.

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Yes, maybe, and it was the question I raised about Split Waterman at New Cross. But as CHR originated the thread and it's his idea that it's "all-time" not just club, I would have thought that we should abide by his wishes and his rules.

Hi Grachan, reckon Mike Broadbanks should be in the Swindon team what about Brian Brett also-retired far too early.

4 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Hi Grachan, reckon Mike Broadbanks should be in the Swindon team what about Brian Brett also-retired far too early.

Possibly Broadbanks, although he was a bit before my time and I never saw him ride for the Robins. Briggs was, too, but his record speaks for itself so I included him anyway.

Rider with the most misspelt name in British Speedway... Mike Broadbank. 

Mind you, if he was bothered about it, he would have pointed it out to the editor of the Swindon Speedway programme.

Edited by lucifer sam