British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your club's all-time top team

White City 'Rebels'

Gordon Kennett, Dag Lovaas (await the usual comment), Marek Cieslak, Kai Niemi, Steve Weatherley, Trevor Geer, Richard Greer and Mike Sampson (Number Eight).

Edited by steve roberts

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

White City 'Rebels'

Gordon Kennett, Dag Lovaas (await the usual comment), Marek Cieslak, Kai Niemi, Steve Weatherley, Trevor Geer, Mike Sampson. Richard Greer.

When you look at there Championship side Steve it does not look breathtaking there team ephic and spirit must of been good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

When you look at there Championship side Steve it does not look breathtaking there team ephic and spirit must of been good.

Yes, Sid, and with risk of going over old ground 'The Rebels' released Richard Greer to a struggling Birmingham before it was known that Dag wasn't available for the '77 season which left them two heat leaders short. Marek was inspirational (especially around Wood Lane) and it has to be remembered that Paul Gachet picked up an early season injury (broken ankle) which kept him out of the side for the entire season. Mike Sampson (who was a match winner on more than one occasion) and Dave Kennett filled in but it was the ovearll team spirit and ethic that got them thru' in the end (and a little help from Barry Thomas!) despite intense pressure from Exeter and Reading in particular. A great season and one that I cherish personally...great days!

Didn't manage to beat you 'blighters' at Blunsdon that year however...

Edited by steve roberts

46 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Sid, and with risk of going over old ground 'The Rebels' released Richard Greer to a struggling Birmingham before it was known that Dag wasn't available for the '77 season which left them two heat leaders short. Marek was inspirational (especially around Wood Lane) and it has to be remembered that Paul Gachet picked up an early season injury (broken ankle) which kept him out of the side for the entire season. Mike Sampson (who was a match winner on more than one occasion) and Dave Kennett filled in but it was the ovearll team spirit and ethic that got them thru' in the end (and a little help from Barry Thomas!) despite intense pressure from Exeter and Reading in particular. A great season and one that I cherish personally...great days!

Didn't manage to beat you 'blighters' at Blunsdon that year however...

I can remember Steen Mastrup making his debut against the White City i think ? and if i remember rightly Brian Clark rode for the City that night.?

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I can remember Steen Mastrup making his debut against the White City i think ? and if i remember rightly Brian Clark rode for the City that night.?

I think that was during 1976 (when we lost again!) and if I remember Brian picked up a knee injury that night  (clashed with Bob Kilby?) which caused him problems for the rest of his career. A real shame because he wa really developing into a very useful rider and may well have ended up a full-time 'Rebel' although he was a 'Panther' thru' and thru'.

We eventually broke our 'duck' and won at Blunsdon in 1978!

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I think that was during 1976 (when we lost again!) and if I remember Brian picked up a knee injury that night  (clashed with Bob Kilby?) which caused him problems for the rest of his career. A real shame because he wa really developing into a very useful rider and may well have ended up a full-time 'Rebel' although he was a 'Panther' thru' and thru'.

We eventually broke our 'duck' and won at Blunsdon in 1978!

Spot on Steve sorted my progs out and in 1976 ( i remember spill now with Kilb, Brian got injured he was awarded a point in heat 4 .Swindon won 47-31 Ashby 12max. Gordon 14.    1978 Mastrup debut 0 knew there was guests Nigel Couzens 5 John Barker 4 for White City Swindon 36- White City 42 Kennett a 12 point max great days.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Hawks                                                  Kestrels

1. Barry Thomas                                 1. Barry Thomas

2. Bo Petersen                                    2. Andy Galvin

3. Bengt Jansson                               3. Mark Loram

4. Dave Morton                                   4. Paul Whittaker

5. Zenon Plech                                    5. Alan Mogridge

6. Finn Thomsen                                 6. Steve Schofield

7. Garry Middleton                              7. Trevor Banks

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, iris123 said:

Quite possibly, but were Egon Müller or Kevin Wölberts name ever spelt correctly in the UK? At least the press spell Müller correctly in relation to the Mueller report on Trump . Add to that a number of Swedes like Sjösten or Lindbäck....

I imagine that the fact that we English often simply ignore the umlaut must be a constant source of irritation to German speakers.  Iris is correct that Müller can be written as Mueller for those who haven't discovered the alt129 entry.

Bearing this in mind, the name of Bjorn Knutsson that we saw printed in so many speedway programmes back in the 60's actually contained two errors as Björn Knutson would have been correct. I have little knowledge of Scandinavian languages but I do know that they include letters such as  Ø and å which I imagine should have appeared in the printed names of various riders from Scandinavia but I've never seen them used in an English programme.

Norbold beat me to it with his New Cross team but how about this Wembley Lions line up:

Ove Fundin, Tommy Price and Split Waterman heat leaders

Lionel van Praag, Freddie Williams and  Brian Crutcher second strings

Dave Jessup and Bill Kitchen/Ginger Lees as reserves.

Four world champions plus three runners-up in that team!

Edited by Split

On 3/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Louis snr) , Louis jnr) Rickardsson, Gollob, Sanders,Sigalos,Davey 

Gollob a much better rider but can’t leave Donkey out as Gollob only did one season 

55 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Gollob a much better rider but can’t leave Donkey out as Gollob only did one season 

Great point yes Doncaster was great value i liked him like Tatum moved up full time in a tough British league without NL experience.

3 hours ago, Terry said:

Middleton would be higher than no 7 Terry wouldn't he?????  he was very talented was very good at Hackney and Oxford .

5 hours ago, Terry said:

All time Hackney team under CHR's original stipulation of all-time career:

Heat Leaders: Vic Duggan, Mark Loram , Cordy Milne

Second Strings: Bengt Jansson, Malcolm Simmons, Zenon Plech

Reserves: Chris Louis, Norman Hunter

12 minutes ago, norbold said:

All time Hackney team under CHR's original stipulation of all-time career:

Heat Leaders: Vic Duggan, Mark Loram , Cordy Milne

Second Strings: Bengt Jansson, Malcolm Simmons, Zenon Plech

Reserves: Chris Louis, Norman Hunter

Looking at all-time careers I find it difficult to choose between Norman Hunter, Colin Pratt, Jack Biggs and Bob Andrews.

• Like 1

On the basis of their whole careers, Cradley Heath followers might wish to chose 7 from Bruce Penhall, Erik Gundersen, Jan O. Pedersen, Alan Hunt, Anders Michanek, Bob Andrews, John Boulger, Jack Biggs, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill, Bobby Schwartz, Simon Wigg and Lance King.  Maybe consideration might also be given to Colin Pratt, Bob Andrews, Bernt Persson, Chum Taylor, Alan Grahame and Phil Collins.  For his Provincial League exploits Ivor Brown deserves a mention too.  Who knows what Steve Bastable might have gone on to achieve but for his injury at Leicester and his falling out with Dan McCormick, culminating in a transfer away from Dudley Wood.