British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your club's all-time top team

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Middleton would be higher than no 7 Terry wouldn't he?????  he was very talented was very good at Hackney and Oxford .

To be fair Sidney, the five above him were better riders and Thommo will always be my number one.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Middleton would be higher than no 7 Terry wouldn't he?????  he was very talented was very good at Hackney and Oxford .

All of the riders here were very talented. Although Middleton had one very good season at Oxford, I would place still place Thomsen above him on the strength of his record at international level, particularly Gothenburg in '77. Both, though, could be considered under-achievers.

I know Plech has a couple of World Final rostrums behind him, but I am still not totally convinced as he never pulled up any trees in the BL. Looking at some of the comments here, I think another worthy contender for a spot (based on all-time) would be dear old Jimmy Gooch.

What about Simon Wigg??? Or perhaps Mike Broadbank?

Steve

Edited by chunky

3 minutes ago, Terry said:

To be fair Sidney, the five above him were better riders and Thommo will always be my number one.

Can't argue with that - with the possible exception of Plech.

Steve

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Looking at all-time careers I find it difficult to choose between Norman Hunter, Colin Pratt, Jack Biggs and Bob Andrews.

Yes, I must admit I overlooked Jack Biggs! I probably would put him in instead of Norman Hunter.

2 hours ago, norbold said:

Yes, I must admit I overlooked Jack Biggs! I probably would put him in instead of Norman Hunter.

Both Biggs and Hunter could be classed in that category of "what if???"

Steve

3 hours ago, Terry said:

Totally agree Terry , Thommo  is a shoe in yes Middleton with all his ability has to go down as a underachiever.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally agree Terry , Thommo  is a shoe in yes Middleton with all his ability has to go down as a underachiever.

...oh but what a character! Garry certainly left his mark on the sport with his 'misadvenetures' and people still talk about him after all this time.

11 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...oh but what a character! Garry certainly left his mark on the sport with his 'misadvenetures' and people still talk about him after all this time.

I was always puzzled as a youngster about Garry  Steve,because he seemed a happy go lucky chap when i see him ride.I have his prized autograph and always thought his reputation was false.In a way just like Jack Millen he had a fearsome reputation but people have commented on just how nice a guy  Jack was he was great for helping young riders.Back to Middleton Steve how good was he ?  you would know more than me on that score.He was really good for Oxford fast and aggressive it is such a  shame how his life ended up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I was always puzzled as a youngster about Garry  Steve,because he seemed a happy go lucky chap when i see him ride.I have his prized autograph and always thought his reputation was false.In a way just like Jack Millen he had a fearsome reputation but people have commented on just how nice a guy  Jack was he was great for helping young riders.Back to Middleton Steve how good was he ?  you would know more than me on that score.He was really good for Oxford fast and aggressive it is such a  shame how his life ended up.

Yes Garry often had the better of Briggo when a 'Rebel' but often came unstuck when up against Martin Ashby. Thankfully my memories of speedway go beyond averages and heat wins or indeed the number of World titles achieved but the characters and memories that many riders evoked...great times!

Edited by steve roberts

14 hours ago, Split said:

I imagine that the fact that we English often simply ignore the umlaut must be a constant source of irritation to German speakers.  Iris is correct that Müller can be written as Mueller for those who haven't discovered the alt129 entry.

Quite interesting on Facebook that the former Wimbledon rider has his name down as Schroeck but his wife has herself down as Schrock I think

Edited by iris123

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

Quite interesting on Facebook that the former Wimbledon rider has his name down as Schroeck but his wife has herself down as Schrock I think

Then there was Max Schreck, who starred as the original Nosferatu... He would probably have scored more points for us - certainly a team spot would have been something to get his teeth into...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:32 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Some really good riders there Andy do you remember Jack Bibby.??

Yes - he was coming to the end of his time at Crayford when I started going in 1980 but TBH I cannot really remember anything individual about him

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, iris123 said:

ö=oe (in the German Alphabet)

His name in German is Schröck, which can alternatively be wirtten as Schroeck (which is accepted as correct spelling), or You can just leave the two dots out and then Your get the name as Schrock (which is not quite the correct spelling).

Same as with Michael Härtel, which in English should be written as Haertel, but is often written Hartel.

Egon Müller, should actually always been Egon Mueller in (English), but is usually referred to as Egon Muller.

Eastbourne

Ivan Mauger, Dave Jessup, Gordon Kennett, Martin Dugard, Nikki Pederson, Kelly Moran and Ron Preston

All English Dave, Gordon and Martin, plus Dave Norris, Dean Barker, Joe Screen Paul Woods

Canterbury

1. Mike Ferreira

2. Ted Hubbard

3. Steve Koppe

4. Graham Banks

5. Les Rumsey

6. Barney Kennett

7. David Mullett

8. Martyn Piddock