British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
customhouseregular

Your club's all-time top team

I don't need much thinking to come up with mine. For all the racing talent the 80's-90's brought to Bradford. There's always only one 1-7 for me.

BRADFORD NORTHERN 1970

Alan Knapkin

Sid Sheldrick

Gary Peterson

Dave Schofield

Alf Wells

Alan Bridgett

Peter Thompson

ok and Robin Adlington as No 8

What a line up that was "a proper speedway team".

Based upon those I actually saw race for Wolves

1: Ronnie Correy

2: Mikael Max

3: Tai Woffinden

4: Peter Karlsson

5: Sam Ermolenko

6: Freddie Lindgren

7: Lars Munkedal

My first ever favorite rider was Dennis Sigalos but he didn't race for Wolves long enough to get in this. 

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Based upon those I actually saw race for Wolves

1: Ronnie Correy

2: Mikael Max

3: Tai Woffinden

4: Peter Karlsson

5: Sam Ermolenko

6: Freddie Lindgren

7: Lars Munkedal

My first ever favorite rider was Dennis Sigalos but he didn't race for Wolves long enough to get in this. 

Great lot really Witcher  spot on , Sigalos  was good and the the world  of speedway was robbed .I am but surprised with Munkedal  but i liked him though just  like Glanz, Eskildsen, Nicholajsen( etc) they were   very valuable riders.

Edited by Sidney the robin

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great lot really Witcher  spot on , Sigalos  was good and the the world  of speedway was robbed .I am but surprised with Munkedal  but i liked him though just  like Glanz, Eskildsen, Nicholajsen( etc) they were   very valuable riders.

Munkedal was a hero of mine, only reason I put him there :)

That and his 11 from 4 when we won away at hyde Road in 1987.

Otherwise it would be Sigalos or Bobby Schwartz at 7.

I think Ronnie Correy could have achieved much more had it not been for his broken back. He was one of the top few riders in the league prior to that.. he could easily have put 5 starts together in a World Final and taken a title.

When he returned he hadn't got the hunger on the world stage anymore.

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

I think Ronnie Correy could have achieved much more had it not been for his broken back. He was one of the top few riders in the league prior to that.. he could easily have put 5 starts together in a World Final and taken a title.

Sigalos was a rider i took to right from the start i remember him scoring a 15 point max from reserve at Swindon.He got better and progressed to world level and when he went to Wolves you could argue he was reaching his peak.Wolves a few riders I enjoyed  watching were Rob  Phetzing and Schwartz ( a great rider and awesome team man,) .

11 hours ago, BWitcher said:

He was a poor rider when he signed for 'The Cheetahs' and even with the help and assistance of Hans Nielsen never adapted to Cowley and didn't last very long.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

He was a poor rider when he signed for 'The Cheetahs' and even with the help and assistance of Hans Nielsen never adapted to Cowley and didn't last very long.

Unlike Per Sorensen who was a revelation Hans helped put 1.5 on Per's average.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BWitcher said:

I remember that meeting at Belle Vue - it was a double-header with Wolves and Oxford.

We commented at the time how good it would be to have a reserve like Munkedal.  The following year we had him and he was shocking.  You'd have Hans Nielsen slowing down the whole race, by pinning the other two riders to the white line on the second bend in his trademark style, and Munkedal would turn the throttle off and stay at the back. 

Munkedal had some talent, but either lacked the belief or the desire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

I remember that meeting at Belle Vue - it was a double-header with Wolves and Oxford.

We commented at the time how good it would be to have a reserve like Munkedal.  The following year we had him and he was shocking.  You'd have Hans Nielsen slowing down the whole race, by pinning the other two riders to the white line on the second bend in his trademark style, and Munkedal would turn the throttle off and stay at the back. 

Munkedal had some talent, but either lacked the belief or the desire.

Yes, a double header it was. League Cup semi or Final wasn't it? Didn't Marvyn Cox have a good meeting?

Lars was very erratic. Great gater but as you say something was missing.

There were a couple of times he seemed on the verge of taking the next step, but had an injury that stopped him in his tracks.

7 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Yes, a double header it was. League Cup semi or Final wasn't it? Didn't Marvyn Cox have a good meeting?

Lars was very erratic. Great gater but as you say something was missing.

There were a couple of times he seemed on the verge of taking the next step, but had an injury that stopped him in his tracks.

Cocker was bloody amazing in that meeting - I remember his full throttle battle with Chris Morton. Awesome! 

Munkedal just never got it going at Oxford.  Normally, Hans could take a fellow Dane and get him to up his performance. Per Sorensen was the classic example. For some reason, it just didn't happen with Lars. We probably should have dropped him before we did.

I can understand why he was more popular with the Wolves' fans - especially as he was part of the '91 championship side.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1