British Speedway Forum

Hi, I hope this is the correct place for longtrack posts as I can't find a section devoted to it. Anyway...

I am completely new to longtrack but I was thinking maybe this year giving it a chance somewhere. I just want a basic run down and people's opinion on which is the best event to go to for the 2019 season. (Herxheim, La Réole, Marianske Lazne, Mühldorf, Scheeßel, Morizes, Roden)

Which has the biggest track? Are the bigger tracks better to watch at?

Which has the biggest crowds drawn?

Which is the better location to spend a few days in the area? I understand Muhldorf is near Munich... Maybe that would be best?

Any advice is appreciated, just want a bit of help... Thanks very much in advance :)

22 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Hi, I hope this is the correct place for longtrack posts as I can't find a section devoted to it. Anyway...

I am completely new to longtrack but I was thinking maybe this year giving it a chance somewhere. I just want a basic run down and people's opinion on which is the best event to go to for the 2019 season. (Herxheim, La Réole, Marianske Lazne, Mühldorf, Scheeßel, Morizes, Roden)

Which is the better location to spend a few days in the area? I understand Muhldorf is near Munich... Maybe that would be best?

Any advice is appreciated, just want a bit of help... Thanks very much in advance :)

Certainly the correct section- DGT(Dutch grass track) will be your man to give you all the answers you need. He has been at Inzell this weekend for the ice racing and will post i`m sure when he gets back.

If i was considering going i would go to one of Herxheim, La Reole,Muhldorf,Morizes or Roden which are the WC rounds 1-5  Marianske Lazne is a qualifier and  Scheessel the  challenge final. Another meeting you could consider on the 14th September is the world team Longtrack final(GB got silver in 2018) in Vechta Germany.

Edited by racers and royals

19 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Herxheim from memory has big maybe the biggest crowds

Scheeßel is also situated between Hamburg and Bremen, both well worth a visit B)

13 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Herxheim, Marianske Lazne, Muhldorf and Scheessel are proper long tracks (1000 meter-ish). Not always guarantee good racing though.

I wouldn't bother going to Marianske Lazne or Scheessel. Both are realy dull places.

La Reole is a nice track, but nothing special. Racing is not that brilliant.

Herxheim runs on a bank holiday (himmelfahrt) which usally has around 15.000 spectactors. I would go here if you want to visit a longtrack meeting. 

Muhldorf is a great place as well, and usually a big crowd. 

I would ofcourse recommend Roden. It's a nice place and very good track. Sadly spectactors are not always very interested in coming to Roden, and therefore the atmosphere is quite dull.

2 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Herxheim, Marianske Lazne, Muhldorf and Scheessel are proper long tracks (1000 meter-ish). Not always guarantee good racing though.

I wouldn't bother going to Marianske Lazne or Scheessel. Both are realy dull places.

Herxheim runs on a bank holiday (himmelfahrt) which usally has around 15.000 spectactors. I would go here if you want to visit a longtrack meeting. 

I would ofcourse recommend Roden. It's a nice place and very good track. Sadly spectactors are not always very interested in coming to Roden, and therefore the atmosphere is quite dull.

Hi DGT what’s Vechta like as i think the world team final would be good to go to.

Edited by racers and royals

5 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Bank holiday as in thursday, May 30th this year. Also the only place of the ones mentioned that Ive been to, went there for swc quali. Has a unique shape for the LT and with cheap beer and 15k people might be a good place to see longtrack racing.

Edited by f-s-p
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Hi DGT what’s Vechta like as i think the world team final would be good to go to.

Vechta is an awesome track. It's like a big speedway track, always produces fantastic racing. I realy like it that they are back on the FIM calendar. They also stage the 125cc FIM event on the same day.

Also worth mentioning that Cloppenburg will stage their 'Night of the Fights' speedway event on the friday eve before Vechta. It's a 30 minute drive between the two towns. This event is one of the most professional and entertaining events in Germany. 

• Like 1

i'm another looking to get to more longtrack, i've only been to Scheessel the year Tatum won his first title and loved it.

a really small town with limited accomodation, but as mentioned, between Hamburg and Bremen, although only went into Bremen.

i'm not sure whether it's worth driving to some or fly/car hire

All very interesting information from everyone, thank you all very much for the help :)

4 hours ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

Vechta is an awesome track. It's like a big speedway track, always produces fantastic racing. I realy like it that they are back on the FIM calendar. They also stage the 125cc FIM event on the same day.

Also worth mentioning that Cloppenburg will stage their 'Night of the Fights' speedway event on the friday eve before Vechta. It's a 30 minute drive between the two towns. This event is one of the most professional and entertaining events in Germany. 

I like this as a plan, thanks :t:

Not quite Longtrack but worth a mention / consideration for any fan. Sunday 15th September sees possibly the final meeting held at Swingfield nr Folkestone. Whilst this may be classed as a grasstrack it is a huge track and i fully expect many of the top European Long Track riders to be in attendance one again along with some very talented Brits so a definite date for any calendar this year.

12 hours ago, stevehone said:

i'm another looking to get to more longtrack, i've only been to Scheessel the year Tatum won his first title and loved it.

a really small town with limited accomodation, but as mentioned, between Hamburg and Bremen, although only went into Bremen.

i'm not sure whether it's worth driving to some or fly/car hire

As I said and one or two agreed Herxheim is the best for crowd/atmosphere. And if you make a few days of it nicely situated for a bit of sightseeing. 100km away from Stuttgart, which is a lovely city. Or in the other direction you have the German- French- Luxemburg triangle. Trier,Metz and Luxemburg are super and great  countryside in the area and a major wine producing area.We got shown around a wine cellar just by asking a question . Very friendly area

• Like 1