British Speedway Forum

Sad news. Loved his writing, both in the Star and his books. RIP.

Sad news, enjoyed reading his speedway stuff RIP....

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

His book on Fundin was a great read

RIP

Excellent book from a first class speedway man. I read this from cover to cover without pause. His book on Tom Farndon in collaboration with Norman Jacobs is well recommended. Sad to lose such a well respected man.

• Like 2

I especially enjoyed his "The Story Of The World Championship" book, sleep well Mr. Chaplin. 

Very sad to hear of John Chaplin's passing. He was, like myself, a lifelong Birmingham supporter, but his reporting was always impartial and his many speedway books were always interesting reading. He and I both rode for the same Cycle Speedway club - Birmingham Lions (who in more recent years changed its name to Sandwell). I started riding in 1953 when I was 13 when John was one of the leading riders in the club, but as a beginner, I was in awe of the senior club members and didn't really get to know him then. Later on, through our mutual love of all things "Brummies" we became good friends. I knew that he was battling against a very painful illness, but didn't realise that the end was so close.

John will be sorely missed by not just those who knew him personally, but  by everyone connected with speedway.

Rest in the peace of the Lord John - and thank you for your friendship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RIP John - so glad I had the opportunity to exchange some correspondence with you a couple of years ago

Have had so much pleasure in reading your wonderful output on speedway over many years - thank you

Sad news, R.I.P. John.