British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

Thankyou.UTT

By the way I didn't write the above....just copied it as I think it provides some useful info as to the Comets future, and perhaps reasons why 2019 suddenly/regretfully became a no-goer?

Edited by singy13
post seems deleted ?

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Anyone from the speedway promotion able to confirm this ?

maybe THJ aka steve w could drop a line or two or three or four on here and just tell everyone that speedway @ Derwent P ark is only going to return when the reds and town move into the new stadium . so it looks like speedway was never going to start in 2019 anyhow . 

gonna miss this bitching sport i love . really sad :cry:

• Like 2

Wasnt that long ago mr denham wanted to build his own speedway stadium , where,s he at now?

• Like 1

Modern "grass" football pitches are basically now carpet with a lot of artificial material and only a % of what we would call "grass".

Go and walk on almost any football pitch in the PL / EFL Championship and it is like a spongy carpet, then look at the pitches on TV this weekend near the end of the season and they will look like August pitches from 5 years ago.

Many lower league grounds are as good as the PL of 5 years ago with semi artificial pitches. If they have 2 weeks of decent weather, bit of rain and sun and all goes well it will be as described

Sadly, as you imply, the minute they stat moving shale its the end at Derwent Park - shale is commodity though these day, so may be they will make a few quid moving that on.

Edited by HGould
corrected spello

Speedway in 2020 was never going to happen, unless a multi millionaire came in and built a track from scratch.

Edited by topaz325

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

Modern "grass" football pitches are basically now carpet with a lot of artificial material and only a % of what we would call "grass".

Go and walk on almost any football pitch in the PL / EFL Championship and it is like a spongy carpet, then look at the pitches on TV this weekend near the end of the season and they will look like August pitches from 5 years ago.

Many lower league grounds are as good as the PL of 5 years ago with semi artificial pitches. If they have 2 weeks of decent weather, bit of rain and sun and all goes well it will be as described

Sadly, as you imply, the minute they stat moving shale its the end at Derwent Park - shale is commodity though these day, so may be they will make a few quid moving that on.

Th

Just hope that the shale is being diverted to Northside track so that at least there is a gain from this situation. Sadly the legal side is once it's on the ground it then belongs to the stadium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenga said:

so it looks like speedway was never going to start in 2019 anyhow .

My thoughts too marra.......just hoping a new venue can be found asap.......Derwent Park is to be demolished.

Now speedway teams are 'revving up' I miss the Comets even more......especially last years magnificent 7.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Speedway in 2020 was never going to happen, unless a multi millionaire came in and built a track from scratch.

You don't have to have a multi millionaire. Redcar was initially put together, for well less than three hundred grand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

You don't have to have a multi millionaire. Redcar was initially put together, for well less than three hundred grand.

Ok, I,ll say £500,000.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Ok, I,ll say £500,000.

Yep that could get you, a tidy speedway outlet. With the help of a sympathetic council.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yep that could get you, a tidy speedway outlet. With the help of a sympathetic council.

Their just interested in building a white elephant with 8000 seats for less than a 1000 regular fans, still at a £100,000,000 its seems a bargain .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Their just interested in building a white elephant with 8000 seats for less than a 1000 regular fans, still at a £100,000,000 its seems a bargain .

Hello geoff100.....an angry emotion can make nonsense of inputs and I'm as guilty as anyone. But the now infamous new stadium is an 8,000 capacity (with just 2000 seats) at £25 million.

It's  a much needed facility for our area!!!

You will have noticed I've severely edited the original post...because for some reason it was deleted off the Town forum?

But having memorised some detail I do think Comets were never gonna be able to complete a full season this year(2019)...and given that DP is destined for demolition they will need another venue for speedway. Though I still can't understand why DP should be knocked down......can anyone enlighten me on that one please???? 

..........................Cue for Joni Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi'....................'.you don't know what you've got til it's gone'...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, singy13 said:

Hello geoff100.....an angry emotion can make nonsense of inputs and I'm as guilty as anyone. But the now infamous new stadium is an 8,000 capacity (with just 2000 seats) at £25 million.

It's  a much needed facility for our area!!!

You will have noticed I've severely edited the original post...because for some reason it was deleted off the Town forum?

But having memorised some detail I do think Comets were never gonna be able to complete a full season this year(2019)...and given that DP is destined for demolition they will need another venue for speedway. Though I still can't understand why DP should be knocked down......can anyone enlighten me on that one please???? 

..........................Cue for Joni Mitchell's 'Big Yellow Taxi'....................'.you don't know what you've got til it's gone'...

Nice post but its going to cost 100 million over 50 yrs according to times and star 

20 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Nice post but its going to cost 100 million over 50 yrs according to times and star 

Bloody hell,,,, have they taken a 'provy' out for it like ?

• Haha 1