British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

So it appears that the landlords have evicted the tenants, thought it was strange to name the team then literally pull the plug a week later,and  cite finances as the reason,maybe hear more about it but something doesn't feel right 

21 hours ago, singy13 said:

It was in March 1999..but also can't recall which day.. was versus Newcastle for IT Trophy 1st leg.....recall Stoney having engine failure in 1st Heat...then he won all his other races...

attendance 4,000 plus....

On 3/30/2019 at 3:14 PM, geoff100 said:

Leader of the Council who said on TV we will support the Comets in their endeavours and back them to the hilt has gone to ground,

Thought the conspiracy theorists might have picked up on this...

Comets on ice for a year gets the council out of a hole pitch wise doesn't it...

And ya man the leader won't answer  his phone or any emails or text messages... 

Then the Vanity Project on that new stadium the one no one wants or can afford to run, the whole thing stinks to high heaven...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Yeah....then most eventually found other ways of entertainment....???

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Thought the conspiracy theorists might have picked up on this...

Comets on ice for a year gets the council out of a hole pitch wise doesn't it...

And ya man the leader won't answer  his phone or any emails or text messages... 

Then the Vanity Project on that new stadium the one no one wants or can afford to run, the whole thing stinks to high heaven...

Regards 

THJ 

It's obvious the pitch re-alignment caused the suspension of 2019 speedway...but why not say that in the first place?

Just back from Town match....stuffed Newcastle 21-20 lol.

The orange van I talked about earlier on here is a 57 reg..worth nowt I guess....and some clearing up has been done...but plenty of mess to dispense with as yet.

6 hours ago, singy13 said:

It's obvious the pitch re-alignment caused the suspension of 2019 speedway...but why not say that in the first place?

Just back from Town match....stuffed Newcastle 21-20 lol.

The orange van I talked about earlier on here is a 57 reg..worth nowt I guess....and some clearing up has been done...but plenty of mess to dispense with as yet.

Honestly

The pitch realignment had nothing to do with the Speedway not running it was purely financial....

However with the Speedway not running it has opened the door for everyone else to maximise their own interests and agendas...

Oh and I have been watching the Diamonds getting turned over by Redcar 43 - 46 today at Brough Park and I assume I will be watching my football team get turned over by The Gunners tomorrow (April Fools) night as well...

Oh well "come day go day and God bless Sunday" as me old Grandad used to say...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

The pitch realignment had nothing to do with the Speedway not running it was purely financial....

However with the Speedway not running it has opened the door for everyone else to maximise their own interests and agendas...

All very confusing for this old lad....the talk at match yesterday was re the speedway track being lost to a new/enlarged grass pitch, to comply with FA rules (for the 'Reds) with the work on this starting in May......."it needs time to settle before soccer kicks off in August".

And with the RL World cup fixtures destined for the brand new stadium in Oct 2021 it is work of some urgency?( i.e. Borough Park, the Reds current home, is to be the site of this new venue.)

It seems a 'chicken and egg ' scenario to my puzzled mind.....i.e. surely if speedway did run they would thereby have been ousted mid-season to allow this pitch work being on schedule?

Whatever, it still leaves me hoping there is new venue on the horizon to stage speedway for Workington........and regarding that -  I still can't fathom out why Derwent Park is scheduled for demolition.....now where's my tablets.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, singy13 said:

All very confusing for this old lad....the talk at match yesterday was re the speedway track being lost to a new/enlarged grass pitch, to comply with FA rules (for the 'Reds) with the work on this starting in May......."it needs time to settle before soccer kicks off in August".

And with the RL World cup fixtures destined for the brand new stadium in Oct 2021 it is work of some urgency?( i.e. Borough Park, the Reds current home, is to be the site of this new venue.)

It seems a 'chicken and egg ' scenario to my puzzled mind.....i.e. surely if speedway did run they would thereby have been ousted mid-season to allow this pitch work being on schedule?

Whatever, it still leaves me hoping there is new venue on the horizon to stage speedway for Workington........and regarding that -  I still can't fathom out why Derwent Park is scheduled for demolition.....now where's my tablets.

Honestly

I think if the Speedway had of run the Reds would have been looking for another temporary venue, or playing on a smaller pitch at DP no matter what protestations they made (about the FA and pitch size)... so the Speedway not running has saved the council a major headache in that regard...

The new stadium vanity project still might not get off the ground despite all the positive spin we are hearing...

The last thing I was told was DP wouldn't be demolished for 3/4 years and in that time the Speedway could use the venue and would be the sole users until somewhere more suitable could be found (Northside ish?) The Northside Track would need major alteration to accommodate big boys Speedway and this cost (around £150K) would be prohibitive...

Also Keith Denham spent an awful lot of time; effort and money laying the track at DP, surely there must be some recompense if it is just unilaterally ripped up... Also my big worry would be the electrics laid to the inside of the track for the starting gate, as it will be a complete ball ache to try and reset; relay and rewire those should they get damaged...

The outlook isn't that good I reckon but lets wait and see I would love to be wrong...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

This is harder to grasp than flippin' Brexit.......

..I'm not really arguing THJ you have more friends in speedway circles (and Maryport pubs lol) than I do, so am often pleased for your info sharing...good reading.

However if it was "purely financial" , re Comets crashing out, then why on earth did they sign up 7 riders ready for 2019??? It just doesn't add up to this bonzo.

I'll try to guess the answer in that folk who were promising to 'divvy up the cash', to help the promotion, backed out at the last minute?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, singy13 said:

Edited by A.N.Other
error

4 hours ago, singy13 said:

This is harder to grasp than flippin' Brexit.......

..I'm not really arguing THJ you have more friends in speedway circles (and Maryport pubs lol) than I do, so am often pleased for your info sharing...good reading.

However if it was "purely financial" , re Comets crashing out, then why on earth did they sign up 7 riders ready for 2019??? It just doesn't add up to this bonzo.

I'll try to guess the answer in that folk who were promising to 'divvy up the cash', to help the promotion, backed out at the last minute?

Absolutely 100 per cent CORRECT !  The Comets management were literally en route to the BSPA AGM to inform them we were not able to run in 2019,  when Laura received a phone call from a "local businessman", who said, "do NOT tell them that Laura...I can help".   So the Comets management said at the AGM that they were able to run.  But, just as you said, the promises of a cash injection did not materialise !

I am led to beleive that this in effect cost the club £5000, as they subsequently had to notify the BSPA that they now COULDNT run. If they had told them as they intended in the first place, that they were NOT RUNNING this year, then there would have been no £5000 to pay. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

I wouldn’t believe everything you read in the BSF.

yep , i agree with that topaz . i am a plum , but i dont come from Plumland . .! ..for you out of townies , that a village near Wigton  .. between  Maryport and 

Carlisle . but i know someone who lives  in the area ..... . 

• Haha 1