British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

9 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Not sure what you're on about there Biffa I was referring to your brain and if you had one more brain cell than you have now it would be lonely... Honestly...

Regards 

THJ 

thats unusual , you not being sure about your original swipe @ me  jim .!looks like the memory thing is starting to kick in .lol . see you had to edit your post . did you forget what you were going to write ? 

anyhow . god health and good luck with the new venture steve ..

2 hours ago, jenga said:

thats unusual , you not being sure about your original swipe @ me  jim .!looks like the memory thing is starting to kick in .lol . see you had to edit your post . did you forget what you were going to write ? 

anyhow . god health and good luck with the new venture steve ..

Know exactly what I was on about  Biffa and the edit was to add the Honestly on the end.... just for a bit more comedic effect like eh... you being a total plum an all that... ok...

Regards 

THJ 

you dont mind me calling you steve , do you jim ?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jenga said:

you dont mind me calling you steve , do you jim ?

i see you have joined the sad and confused trio @ Glasgow Steve .

3 hours ago, jenga said:

i see you have joined the sad and confused trio @ Glasgow Steve .

We are far from sad and confused we all know your a clown , no confusion there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In the Speedway Star this week Tony Jackson seemed quite hopeful that Speedway would return in 2020, personally I don’t share his optimism.

fake news , or is it . come on steve or  (john) tell us . i personally have my doubts because it will take a big bucket of cash to return the stadium as to what it was for speedway . thj quoted k150  to build a stadium from scratch. so poss k40 to k50 to return it to its former self . 

time will tell i s,pose .eh . 

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

In the Speedway Star this week Tony Jackson seemed quite hopeful that Speedway would return in 2020, personally I don’t share his optimism.

Honestly 

I think you are right it will take a miracle if we are to see Speedway back in Cumbria anytime soon let alone in 2020...

Regards 

THJ  

6 hours ago, topaz325 said:

I'm as optimistic as Lakeside getting a new track in Essex. Talking and doing are worlds apart.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I'm as optimistic as Lakeside getting a new track in Essex. Talking and doing are worlds apart.

You're right, but who would have believed that Leicester, Plymouth & Scunthorpe would have returned ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

You're right, but who would have believed that Leicester, Plymouth & Scunthorpe would have returned ? 

The sports health is a lot poorer now. Are there any more lunatics left in the asylum willing to invest in speedway.

Crazy and most annoying thing is they are planning to rip up the track, spend god knows how much for Workington Red's Football who I think have been relegated to a "Sunday League" who will probably scrape in around 100 crowd (and that's optimistic) . Complete Joke :mad: 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The sports health is a lot poorer now. Are there any more lunatics left in the asylum willing to invest in speedway.

If we had the ready capital, I suspect you and I would even if it was only to shore up an existing promotion (if truth were told, I have already done that as a one time Mildenhall shareholder).

I can say for absolutely certain that if one or two in Workington (and possibly one or two outside the town) had the money the Comets would be operating this season. 

Speedway is anything but alone in being little more than a personal hobby for the owner. According to an article in the Guardian last year, those in charge at Rugby Union Premiership clubs have poured in about £250m.  Roman Abramovich has put £1bn in Chelsea.

Investing £50 or even £250k in an existing speedway club suddenly looks like peanuts. 

I really hope - even if it is most unlikely - that the Comets can find some way of making it back. I will miss my journeys to the Wild West hugely in 2019. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I really hope - even if it is most unlikely - that the Comets can find some way of making it back. I will miss my journeys to the Wild West hugely in 2019. 

Don't think you'll be visiting the area for a while.....it's sad that a stadium handy for the Town centre, next door to a railway station, 10 mins from Macdonalds, Tesco almost touching the track, is  now lost to the sport.....I don't think anyone of wealth could revive very much interest if they built an 'out of town' venue either...Barrow tried this with ghastly results...no walk up support was always doomed to failure...so no DP = no speedway, sadly.

40 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Don't think you'll be visiting the area for a while.....it's sad that a stadium handy for the Town centre, next door to a railway station, 10 mins from Macdonalds, Tesco almost touching the track, is  now lost to the sport.....I don't think anyone of wealth could revive very much interest if they built an 'out of town' venue either...Barrow tried this with ghastly results...no walk up support was always doomed to failure...so no DP = no speedway, sadly.

I completely agree about the loss of Derwent Park but, these days, new speedway tracks have to be out of town in order to get planning permission (Scunthorpe, Leicester, Plymouth). Even then its not guaranteed - Kent is a fair distance from major housing and in the middle of an industrial estate but they have been refused a licence to run on Saturdays. 

That may or may not affect attendances but its something that can't be avoided.