British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

On 4/11/2019 at 7:26 PM, singy13 said:

He is clearly in the majority regarding speedway non attendees......A laal town like Workington had a high percentage pro rata re population who used to follow the Comets, I base this on the comments re Belle Vue on Wednesday.

Because I was just amazed to read on the Premiership area of this forum stuff regarding Belle Vue attendances....it seems only around 700/800 turned up on Wednesday night...an obvious clash with local top soccer match would have certainly affected that figure. But what really astounded me was a guy writing "we didn't manage our usual 1800".....blimey usual 1800????.. this is for speedways most famous team in a brand new(ish) stadium....and held in the UK's third largest city to boot.

It just, if ever needed, confirms speedway is in rapid decline. I can recall going to the old Hyde rd. stadium and being sat amidst 10,000 fans, but never less than 2,000....

....oh by the way great to see that young Dan is on the way back to top form.

And another 'by the way'....I see on the Town RL forum talk regarding the upcoming Allerdale council elections...it is apparently feared that if Labour do not gain the overall majority of seats on the council the 'new stadium project' could be seriously hindered by the Cons' and Independents....

Shamefully I have to admit, that I have NEVER voted in my entire life..............................................TILL NOW !!  No prizes for guessing which party I WONT be voting for then !;)

i do believe that the remaining die hards would still support the club in any way they could . it would  have been a hard act to follow . . i personally was looking forward to seeing speedway in 19 . the blame is not with the riders demands , it is with the promotors who are still willing to pay them the gig bucks . it looks like the barrel is now empty and there is no way of topping it up .it would have been nice to see kyle progress further up the ladder (good score @ glasgow tonight ) 

but we live in hope. but i doubt it will return .

any  idea who the other %50 was with .?

3 hours ago, singy13 said:

Hello Marra......just a further thought on the Comets demise.....and it's something that had worried me prior to all this stuff about the track being ripped up to welcome the Reds soccer crew.

I assume you'll have an idea about 'After the Lord Mayor's show' syndrome??......I had reservations about the 2019 season being able to match the wonderful stuff served up in 2018...and I feel the more 'fickle' element in the crowd would probably become stay at home folk, and therefore plunge Laura and Co into more financial hardship...just a thought-  now rather irrelevant of course...what do you think??

56 minutes ago, jenga said:

i do believe that the remaining die hards would still support the club in any way they could . it would  have been a hard act to follow . . i personally was looking forward to seeing speedway in 19 . the blame is not with the riders demands , it is with the promotors who are still willing to pay them the gig bucks . it looks like the barrel is now empty and there is no way of topping it up .it would have been nice to see kyle progress further up the ladder (good score @ glasgow tonight ) 

but we live in hope. but i doubt it will return .

any  idea who the other %50 was with .?

Young Kyle was hugely impressive tonight, he commented in the programme how grateful he was on Workington sticking by him and how much it helped his confidence.

Seems a very level headed young man and looking forward in watching him progress further with us this season.

• Like 5

On 4/12/2019 at 9:13 PM, A.N.Other said:

Shamefully I have to admit, that I have NEVER voted in my entire life..............................................TILL NOW !!  No prizes for guessing which party I WONT be voting for then !;)

Be careful who you vote for, at least the Labour council are trying to drag the town into the 21st century regardless of what is happening with the speedway. Mike Heaslip Labour Councillor did at least knock on our door. Unfortunately i wasn't home but the wife raised the issue about the speedway following reports that the council were apparently ignoring approaches from the speedway. Mr Heaslip stated that it was his belief that there was a meeting friday 12th April with 'the lady who runs the speedway' . He was also suggesting that Derwent Park would be available following the move by Town/Reds into any new stadium . 

3 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

He was also suggesting that Derwent Park would be available following the move by Town/Reds into any new stadium . 

Which seems sensible.  Once the RL and Soccer clubs are done and dusted with Derwent Park life...and they move to the new arena....let's hope a sound financial wizard will resurrect speedway, maybe even stox too? All the talk of Derwent Park being demolished seems crazy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, singy13 said:

Which seems sensible.  Once the RL and Soccer clubs are done and dusted with Derwent Park life...and they move to the new arena....let's hope a sound financial wizard will resurrect speedway, maybe even stox too? All the talk of Derwent Park being demolished seems crazy.

And with the reds just been relegated this weekend,and town hardly endearing themselves in a piss poor league, the future of the new stadium looks even brighter,get the shades out

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Be careful who you vote for, at least the Labour council are trying to drag the town into the 21st century regardless of what is happening with the speedway. Mike Heaslip Labour Councillor did at least knock on our door. Unfortunately i wasn't home but the wife raised the issue about the speedway following reports that the council were apparently ignoring approaches from the speedway. Mr Heaslip stated that it was his belief that there was a meeting friday 12th April with 'the lady who runs the speedway' . He was also suggesting that Derwent Park would be available following the move by Town/Reds into any new stadium . 

I will vote for the those that are against the same thing I am against....the building of a new stadium, which will be the biggest "Red(s) Herring" that this town has ever seen !!   If any labour councillor knocks at MY door, then he had better have already called an ambulance...coz he will need one pretty darned quickly after knocking !!!

6 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

I will vote for the those that are against the same thing I am against....the building of a new stadium, which will be the biggest "Red(s) Herring" that this town has ever seen !!   If any labour councillor knocks at MY door, then he had better have already called an ambulance...coz he will need one pretty darned quickly after knocking !!!

Blinkers are great when you don't want to see the light. Take it easy wouldn't want to read about you getting locked up and all !

On 4/11/2019 at 4:19 PM, Derwent said:

A company that Laura had a 50% stake in has just been wound up by the High Court over an unpaid tax bill owed to HMRC of >£300k

On 4/12/2019 at 4:51 PM, StevePark said:

Just been looking at this and a good link posted by Steve Park and unfortunately it does not look good at all for the Comets

An Insolvency Services Company from Birkenhead have been appointed to wind up LJM Asset Management Ltd however I am not sure where the £300k figure of debt owed to HMRC comes from but it does have implications with regard to the Speedway. 

No doubt this story will grow and rumble on however it made the move to put the "licence on ice" for a year and not to run an astute one as it would have resulted in the collapse of the club right at the start of the season...

Very sad situation

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No doubt this story will grow and rumble on however it made the move to put the "licence on ice" for a year and not to run an astute one as it would have resulted in the collapse of the club right at the start of the season...

Very sad situation

Very very sad indeed. The more info that is slowly appearing on here, (and elsewhere), regarding the Comets demise, continues to make me amazed that the 2019 season ever got any consideration at all. 

For example - the pitch renovations making the speedway track unavailable, the businessman who 'turned turtle', now it's a huge debt seemingly (?) owed the HMRC . Regarding the latter, there is post on the Town RL forum - from a Gentleman- who claims the promoters owed "businesses and riders"..........as Lewis Carroll wrote 'it just gets curiouser and curiouser'!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Just been looking at this and a good link posted by Steve Park and unfortunately it does not look good at all for the Comets

An Insolvency Services Company from Birkenhead have been appointed to wind up LJM Asset Management Ltd however I am not sure where the £300k figure of debt owed to HMRC comes from but it does have implications with regard to the Speedway. 

Very sad situation

Regards
THJ

The £300k HMRC debt wasn’t connected to the Speedway it was another company Laura had 50% ownership of called No.10 Catering Ltd  who were based in Carlisle.

https://www.in-cumbria.com/news/17569086.high-court-battle-over-dormant-carlisle-catering-firm/

I know No 10 Catering was a business she was involved with but knowing the turnover they did and the contracts they had the turrnover of the company wasn't enough to generate a 300 grand tax bill and there was a connection to the Speedway as No 10 sponsored a heat (I think) and provided the catering in the Blue and White cafe on the second bend and if that turned over 300 quid a meeting I would be amazed...

Regards 

THJ 

i do believe the HMRC takes into account any other business  that the defaulter has, ie speedway and any other L.J.M. connections .

i too would be amazed if the tax due is all down to no 10 catering .

jim carey lives on 

If you read the report it tells you that they think there has been a mistake... which is not unknown... HMRC chased us for what they said was a £34 and coppers underpayment... they got really nasty then realised it was their mistake and sent us a cheque for 800 quid not a word about the balls up they made and no apology either but they threatened to close the business if they didn't get what they said they were owed... and they were going to charge a daily interest payment on the £34 until us bad people paid their dues to the state....  total shower who are never wrong... until you prove otherwise then its oops... Grrrrr....

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i have been through the same thing myself about 15 or so yrs ago . they sent a lovely  gent down all the way from Scotland to have words about my accounts . 

after 4 hrs of grilling he told me i could go . but being a plum/biffa , i just sat there for another couple of hours and  ruined his days appointments .  said he was going to call the ecilop (police) . to which my reply was, good that will save me a phone call . i eventually removed myself from his jail and he said they would be in touch . 

15 plus years later and i am still waiting for the phone call/post . 

over paid , under performing  people . err just like speedway riders really !

guilty until proven innocent ..... :icon_smile_clown:

this plum has more brains .. eh Steve .