British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

43 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes, but the jury was out on it and they had started to clawback some monies pending a judgement and advised those that were audited to declare going forward pending the outcome. It seemed different inspectors had different opinions.

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Would that be classed as 'tax avoidance' ?

Is it similar to when buying 'working' dog food from the supermarket (VAT free)? Who can prove if your dog is a 'working' dog, or a 'couch' dog and, how many folk have used this loop-hole to avoid paying their due's.

Ah the good ole VAT Man... and yes it was classed as tax avoidance in the first instance and the money was to be clawed back by HMRC however on appeal (in a certain promoters front room where the VAT Man was told to "go forth and multiply" (I know because I was in attendance) and the VAT Man who ironically had the same surname as the promoter but was no relation; conceded) it was a bit contrived and I wont go into all the detail however what was going to be a £14k VAT bill was reduced to £3K and the programme became a match day magazine and the rest as they say was history.

Q. So when is a programme not a programme Ans... When it's a match day magazine (at zero rated VAT)

Regards
THJ

11 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Following on from this i am in a position to confirm that the Labour led Allerdale Borough Council did indeed meet with Laura. I am led to believe that something could develop re Comets moving to Oldside and that hopefully some sort of press release could follow. My advice to all speedway fans would be to vote Labour because this could well hinge on Labour retaining control of the Council so do the right thing !

Honestly

Nothing will develop the club has been annulled by the BSPA and what I cant understand is the day the Liquidation notice was officially published which was Thursday the 11th of April; Laura was having a meeting with the council to discuss Speedway yet she new then that the "Date of Winding-up Order" had been issued on the "3rd of April 2019" and that C Hudson 2nd Floor, Rosebrae Court, Woodside Ferry Approach, Birkenhead, CH41 6DU, had been appointed as the liquidator of LJM Asset Management.

Nothing will develop at Oldside (Northside for those who don't know the area) unless a new company takes the licence forward, (which is now up for grabs for anyone daft enough to take it on) the licence is no longer "on ice" it has been "annulled" due to the fact that the parent company LJM Asset Management have gone into liquidation.

On the politics side of things (and only as an outsider looking in) I have been involved in West Cumbria since 2006 and I have never seen such a shower of local politicians not only divided on party lines but tribal ones as well. Uppies; Downies; Reds; Town and everything Workington centric. Labour have done nothing for a region crying out for some vision and leadership, I know for a fact the two Independent Candidates in Maryport George Kemp and Ian Greeny would do more to support the Speedway than any so called Labour councillor. Don't be fooled by the rhetoric of any Westminister backed party they would say "the moon was made of cheese" if they thought it would get them a vote. The independent guys are the way to go (IMHO) and make them all work together for the people of West Cumbria not just whoever supports the local football or rugby teams.

Unfortunately the LJM backed Comets have officially gone; you are looking at a whole new chapter now

Regards
THJ

Looks like godfrey and co have the last laugh some sort of press coverage would have been nice !

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Nothing will develop the club has been annulled by the BSPA and what I cant understand is the day the Liquidation notice was officially published which was Thursday the 11th of April; Laura was having a meeting with the council to discuss Speedway yet she new then that the "Date of Winding-up Order" had been issued on the "3rd of April 2019" and that C Hudson 2nd Floor, Rosebrae Court, Woodside Ferry Approach, Birkenhead, CH41 6DU, had been appointed as the liquidator of LJM Asset Management.

Nothing will develop at Oldside (Northside for those who don't know the area) unless a new company takes the licence forward, (which is now up for grabs for anyone daft enough to take it on) the licence is no longer "on ice" it has been "annulled" due to the fact that the parent company LJM Asset Management have gone into liquidation.

On the politics side of things (and only as an outsider looking in) I have been involved in West Cumbria since 2006 and I have never seen such a shower of local politicians not only divided on party lines but tribal ones as well. Uppies; Downies; Reds; Town and everything Workington centric. Labour have done nothing for a region crying out for some vision and leadership, I know for a fact the two Independent Candidates in Maryport George Kemp and Ian Greeny would do more to support the Speedway than any so called Labour councillor. Don't be fooled by the rhetoric of any Westminister backed party they would say "the moon was made of cheese" if they thought it would get them a vote. The independent guys are the way to go (IMHO) and make them all work together for the people of West Cumbria not just whoever supports the local football or rugby teams.

Unfortunately the LJM backed Comets have officially gone; you are looking at a whole new chapter now

Regards
THJ

So in a nutshell you are confirming that Workington Comets is no longer , surely a press release should be forthcoming ??

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Looks like godfrey and co have the last laugh some sort of press coverage would have been nice !

It's in the BSPA rules that any company who ceases trading or goes into liquidation can not hold a licence... it's nowt to do with Godfrey and Co if thems the rules and everyone is aware and accepts that position... and unless LJM Asset Management rises like a Phoenix out of ashes of this liquidation mess  then thats it... and as for an announcement all of this is just breaking and unravelling before us... and will be a bitter pill to swallow for all concerned... and as ever when a business fails its rather embarrassing so no one will be rushing out to give a bad news press release will they...

If you have a disposable income of around 150k per annum you can set up a promotion and run the club it will be  there for the taking... Oh and you will need to be happy writing off a large lump of that figure each year...

Regards 

THJ 

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

So in a nutshell you are confirming that Workington Comets is no longer , surely a press release should be forthcoming ??

You'd certainly think so,we can't really believe now it was only a year out with all that's come out lately,it's all desperately sad, with the memories of our finest hour still fresh in the mind,it appears now that's all we have,memories

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Who would write and send out the press release?

Can't think the administrators would be over-bothered.

It would seem no-one connected with the promotion would have any standing to issue such a release.

8 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

38 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

It would seem no-one connected with the promotion would have any standing to issue such a release.

Think most of us knew the 'licence on ice' situation was only to calm the much troubled waters, and Comets were in reality no more.

Re the' press release' - perhaps it does need doing to, as it were, nail the lid down. Think Laura needs to make the effort.

As THJ says it's "a whole new chapter"........and honestly when I do win the lottery I'll revive Workington Speedway.......

.........incidentally anyone know where you buy a ticket?

Edited by singy13
missed a word
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Administrators gives an inkling of hope that there is something to save in a business and businesses can run in administration for months... the company appointed to wind up LJM Asset Management are Liquidators which is something slightly different... and they won't give a stuff if I'm honest...

No one is really owed an explanation as to what has gone on within LJM and in Maryport on the lash tonight I have just heard that the promotion are still wanting to do something next year... so here's hoping...

Something similar (not the same) just simlar happened to Newcastle a few year back and Newspeed rose out of the ashes from a wind up of one business and the refomation of another and Newspeed is still running the spot now so never say never....

It's always darkest before the light...

Oh and my lottery tickets are on...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 3

On 4/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, SteelShoe said:

Following on from this i am in a position to confirm that the Labour led Allerdale Borough Council did indeed meet with Laura. I am led to believe that something could develop re Comets moving to Oldside and that hopefully some sort of press release could follow. My advice to all speedway fans would be to vote Labour because this could well hinge on Labour retaining control of the Council so do the right thing !

Ooh look up..there's several pieces of pale coloured Bacon flying past ! :rolleyes:

On 4/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Administrators gives an inkling of hope that there is something to save in a business and businesses can run in administration for months... the company appointed to wind up LJM Asset Management are Liquidators which is something slightly different... and they won't give a stuff if I'm honest...

No one is really owed an explanation as to what has gone on within LJM and in Maryport on the lash tonight I have just heard that the promotion are still wanting to do something next year... so here's hoping...

Something similar (not the same) just simlar happened to Newcastle a few year back and Newspeed rose out of the ashes from a wind up of one business and the refomation of another and Newspeed is still running the spot now so never say never....

It's always darkest before the light...

Oh and my lottery tickets are on...

Regards 

THJ 

There is little likelihood of any bikes going round a track...(from what YOU said anyway.)

Edited by A.N.Other

8 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

My understanding of this, is that the "something next year" is referring to a Special Evening Dinner type of event, to celebrate 50 years of Workington Comets. Bit like a "Sportsmans Dinner" where people involved with the club during its 50 years (or should that be 49 ?) will be in attendance. So for example former riders, and past management etc. There is little likelihood of any bikes going round a track...(from what YOU said anyway.)

Not according to my man who was talking to a family member who works for the promotion as part of the team... he intimated that there would be speedway next year and the club would be running... now this may have been idle banter whilst waiting for a pizza to arrive however it seems a strange thing to say from someone who is so close to the promotion...

Also this is the first I have heard of any sportsmans dinner.... what would the point of that be if the spot doesn't run... it would be like having a wake?

Finally it's not from WHAT I said all YOU have to do is read the official documentation from the links provided to see what is happening to LJM Asset Management  the situation is not very good... however that wouldn't stop the same promotion from forming a new company to run the speedway again next year should they so desire...

It's not beyond the realms of possibility...

Just a potentially huge financial risk as I see it....

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word

16 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Before the days of "press releases" (which turned press reporters into press repeaters) we used to have these people called investigative journalists who would sniff out local stories and print the results in the local rag for all to see. Why don't some of you Worky fans get on to the sports reporter of the News and Star (might I suggest  jon.colman@newsquest.co.uk) and suggest to him that, for once, rather than waiting for the news to come to him, he might consider getting his finger out and going out to discover what the hell is happening to Workington Comets.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Before the days of "press releases" (which turned press reporters into press repeaters) we used to have these people called investigative journalists who would sniff out local stories and print the results in the local rag for all to see. Why don't some of you Worky fans get on to the sports reporter of the News and Star (might I suggest  jon.colman@newsquest.co.uk) and suggest to him that, for once, rather than waiting for the news to come to him, he might consider getting his finger out and going out to discover what the hell is happening to Workington Comets.

Doubt said gentleman has the time to do such things. Local papers reporters are thin on the ground-sports reports have virtually disappeared.

People stopped buying papers – advertising when to Facebook and Google and local journalism has virtually died, as a result.

Suggest you ask Google and Facebook to investigate - they have snaffled all the money in publishing. Perhaps they can do some public interest journalism.