British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

On 4/19/2019 at 10:56 AM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Not according to my man who was talking to a family member who works for the promotion as part of the team... he intimated that there would be speedway next year and the club would be running... now this may have been idle banter whilst waiting for a pizza to arrive however it seems a strange thing to say from someone who is so close to the promotion...

Finally it's not from WHAT I said all YOU have to do is read the official documentation from the links provided to see what is happening to LJM Asset Management  the situation is not very good... however that wouldn't stop the same promotion from forming a new company to run the speedway again next year should they so desire...

It's not beyond the realms of possibility...

Just a potentially huge financial risk as I see it....

Regards 

THJ 

What I said regarding the likelihood of the Comets taking to the track again next year John, is a combination of your interesting posts on here, and other reports.  I am not saying it WOULDNT be happening, but its highly unlikely !  

Sorry that you didnt get to know first about this one mate !  :) :approve:

Edited by A.N.Other
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, comet49 said:

The plot thickens...

Just a thought.....and it's regarding club assets....where has that most expensive item..the airfence....gone from the track?....was it owned, or rented, by the promotion???

i think it is being divided up into small sections and sent through the post  to all those who contributed to its purchase . but the parts must be returned in time for the 2020 season opener ..

k20 that thing costs , but with what is looking like a hot , hot summer you will be able to make a good few beach crafts  for the beach !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, singy13 said:

Just a thought.....and it's regarding club assets....where has that most expensive item..the airfence....gone from the track?....was it owned, or rented, by the promotion???

I think its still in one of those large containers in the pits, that the wonderful Rugby Club or Council are trying to charge ground rent for.. to the speedway management. They are SUCH nice people arent they !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gazc said:

So what are you saying there's still a chance.

Honestly I know you have put this tongue in cheek as a PT but I seriously doubt it will ever be back...

There are to many things stacked against it... I would have loved  to run this year just to see what the council would have done with the track as 2 or so meters of each straight were supposed to be starting to get ripped up today to facilitate the widening of the pitch...

I will call down to DP Saturday to take a look but the whole thing  is genuinely tragic...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly I know you have put this tongue in cheek as a PT but I seriously doubt it will ever be back...

There are to many things stacked against it... I would have loved  to run this year just to see what the council would have done with the track as 2 or so meters each straight were supposed to be starting to get ripped up today to facilitate the widening of the pitch...

I will call down to DP Saturday to take a look but the whole thing  is genuinely tragic...

Regards 

THJ 

A Jim Carrey quote but yes it doesn't look very promising going by what you say.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

The licence that was on "Ice" has been "Annulled" by the BSPA and as stated previous there is nothing stopping the former owners from coming back and running again, but I would suggest that unless there is new money (and lots of it) is gone 

Remember the Dead Parrot Sketch well along those lines "Its Gone" it's no good pining! it's passed on! This Speedway Club is no more! it has ceased to be! it's expired and gone to meet it's maker! it's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If we had supported the spot more it wouldn't be pushing up the daisies! It's metabolic processes are now H18tory! it's out the league! it's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!!! THIS IS AN EX-SPEEDWAY TEAM!!! 

Sorry to be so flippant but it is really hurting that the club didn't get a chance to defend its legacy of "winning the treble", it would appear that the financial mess the club are in has just proved to be a "burden to great" and I honestly can not see any "White Knight" on the horizon looking to come in and pull the place around, no sane business person would touch the place with a barge pole and that leaves a philanthropist (sugar daddy) type who has the money and loves the area and sport so much that they are prepared to throw around a £140k a year of their own money at a sport that is followed by around 500 paying customers.

Regards
THJ

You have a "PM" John. 

Edited by A.N.Other
  • Haha 2

Oh dear the amazing vanishing posts... 

It reminds me of the Joke about the Lady Cleaner who whilst undertaking her job in the local working men's club and upon entering the Gents toilet found a drawing on the wall of a mans appendage, so immediately, and to protect everyone's modesty she washed it off. The next morning she did her rounds again and low and behold the offending drawing had reappeared much to her chagrin, again she washed off the graffiti and completed her tasks. Next morning she set about her work and again on the third day the appendage had reappeared even larger and bolder than before and this went on for the whole week, each morning a larger drawing on the toilet wall of a mans appendage which was starting to frustrate the Lady Cleaner so she wrote a note on the wall which said "Please stop drawing rude pictures on this wall" to which on the eight day she found a picture of the offending article that filled the full wall with the comment underneath "The more you rub the bigger it gets" 

Happy trails

Regards
THJ

• Haha 6

Just a thought, but if the current Workington promotion has wound the business up which owned the big 'C'. Then is it more feasible for anyone to bring speedway back to DP under a new promotion . I appreciate they may have to purchase a license,  air fence, tractors, etc. But surely this makes the Comets a more viable option if true. (I dont know i just live in hope).

Could Workington survive as a National League club? Eastbourne and Birmingham were able to keep afloat by doing this, but for Lakeside, it was a disaster. Workington's geographical position might make such a move more of a gamble, and supporters living in the vicinity can probably give a more accurate opinion about this than I can - but if Workington's average crowds last season were around the 500 mark, and they could maintain this kind of level, this would be perhaps, a feasible option?

• Like 1

Hmm , more to follow i do believe .

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 4:56 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

https://www.barrowafc.com/time-to-jump-on-the-bluebirds-train/?fbclid=IwAR0TWcXZhOVN-_mhaT2AF7kIV4sH1UugdM2Hd7MF_pZmNR18X-3wEHAq__Y

Interesting that it says "It is not yet known if the game will take place at Borough Park or Derwent Park, but kick off will be 3pm."

• Thanks 1