British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

https://www.barrowafc.com/time-to-jump-on-the-bluebirds-train/?fbclid=IwAR0TWcXZhOVN-_mhaT2AF7kIV4sH1UugdM2Hd7MF_pZmNR18X-3wEHAq__Y

Interesting that it says "It is not yet known if the game will take place at Borough Park or Derwent Park, but kick off will be 3pm."

After the recent council elections I doubt it will be at the new Super Stadium that was proposed... especially for the Evo-Stik West Division eh.... dizzy heights there eh... Mickleover Sports North Ferriby and South Shields here we come eh... 2000 plus crowds for them matches like eh...

Honestly 

Regards 

THJ 

Al sit back and wait for Jenga to start...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just reading the speedway star after being away working sad to see good old rolly hughes the clerk of the course has died with his funeral being on monday 13 may.a true comets fan for years RIP " ROLLY ".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was informed, while at yesterday's Town RL match, that work on removing the speedway track from Derwent Park is scheduled to commence today, Monday 20th May.

1 minute ago, singy13 said:

I was informed, while at yesterday's Town RL match, that work on removing the speedway track from Derwent Park is scheduled to commence today, Monday 20th May.

Remove or  reduce the straights ?

8 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Remove or  reduce the straights ?

For F.A. regs...to allow 'Reds' on DP..the pitch needs both widened and lengthened..so it seems not much track will be left untouched.

I can confirm that work has started today on ripping up the track and laying new turf.

19 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I can confirm that work has started today on ripping up the track and laying new turf.

What a shame . Does this mean the end of speedway at Derwent now ?

The probable end of speedway at Derwent Park - I was informed that the work was starting at 1pm, with the speedway track being ripped up, to make way for the wider pitch required by Workington Reds to meet FA regulations.

No winners in this sorry tale; especially as there is no certainty politically in Allerdale at present. Unlike the rest of the country, where the Tories took a kicking at the council elections, in Allerdale it appears we are left in a state of gridlock, with the council likely to be led by a Tory/Independent coalition. The new leader of the Tories is ex-UKIP, who spent most of his time pre-election decrying the cost of the new stadium.

Personally, I think we have seen the end of speedway at Derwent Park, regardless of whether the new Allerdale stadium is built or not.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Dont understand why its happening the new stadium is no closer the reds board wont sign over borough park so why are they moving .

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

laying new turf.

Without sounding too pedantic..I hope.....it's loam with grass seed added that is quick growing (3 wks)....

.....still think that yes a new stadium for RL and Soccer...then have speedway at DP again when moves to new place sorted..don't knock DP down in other words???

and that brings us full circle back to the beginning . the management MUST have known that speedway  was NEVER going to start in 2019 and signing riders up was a huge smoke screen with a few mirrors thrown in for good measure .

rumours are around saying speedway will return in 2020 , but the cost of re doing the track and all the other stuff thats getting ripped out will be too much for ANYONE to take on . plus , who is going to start the massive job of putting it all back together .?

we have had some bad times team wise and a good few great ones . it will just be a memory now and many of us will not see this sport  @ Derwent Park again ..  :cry:

speedway will never flourish while the likes of Godfrey and co have their fingers in the mixing bowl . .. 5 yrs max and thats your lot .all the magic tricks have been done, they have ran out of smoke and broke all the mirrors . very sad ..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jenga said:

it will just be a memory now and many of us will not see this sport  @ Derwent Park again ..  

That's me, and the Comets scenario, done then....:(

3 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Dont understand why its happening the new stadium is no closer the reds board wont sign over borough park so why are they moving .

Borough Park’s safety certificate expires soon and there’s no way it’ll pass another inspection without massive investment. The Reds would be looking at a new home anyway as BP is pretty much on the verge of being condemned.

My guess is Reds will move to Derwent Park and Borough Park will be flattened. Council will then decide there is no money for new stadium and will sell the land for development. Reds and Town will share Derwent Park and Speedway will never be able to return there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cometbaz said:

My guess is Reds will move to Derwent Park and Borough Park will be flattened. Council will then decide there is no money for new stadium and will sell the land for development. Reds and Town will share Derwent Park and Speedway will never be able to return there.

That sounds right on the money to me.

• Like 1