British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

Pitch being completely reseeded, supposedly ready for July. Apparently the existing grass was skimmed off, it was then ploughed and mixed with loam from  a pitch that was being lifted in Blackburn. The sand on the top you see is to be mixed in with the other layers before seeding.

The previous pitch was reportedly 8 metres too narrow to meet the minimum  dimension requirements for football ,  it will also be lengthened by some 10 metres overall. Where the shale has been removed from the track the concrete base is exposed, some 2000 tonnes of material have reportedly been shifted so far. As a long time Worky speedway fan it was very sad to see and put a downer on my day.

The finance for the operation is apparently coming from the new stadium pot of money. If the pitch had been big enough for football then it goes without saying a lot of this work and expense wouldn't have been required bearing in mind the relatively short construction period for the new stadium. After saying this, if the new stadium doesn't happen for any reason then at least the teams should have a good level pitch to play on, the previous one was in poor condition.

Just need the Council to take the speedway along with them as well in this much needed ambitious project. It is only fair that you try to rehouse a tenant you've made homeless !.

The Rugby pitch was big enough to take an FA approved size football pitch it was the Reds who wouldn't move unless they had the same size pitch as the one they were leaving at Borough Park.

Also following the last  Rugby League World Cup when the Kiwi Rugby Team nearly walked out of the match they had scheduled at DP saying they wouldn't walk their dogs on DP and they trained on better pitches the Rugby Club stated  the pitch needed to be re-laid if they were going to have to share it with the football club.

Honestly there was the space to accommodate everyone if the good will had of been there.

You will never get the full truth but you can build a picture when you start to get snippets of what's went on and been said but the sub tenants (the Speedway) have been well and truly shafted.

It was a case of me first me last and if there is owt left me again... stuff you Jack cos we are alright...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It was a case of me first me last and if there is owt left me again... stuff you Jack cos we are alright...

Regards 

THJ 

Well thats pretty much in line with the way things are these days John ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Thanks 1

Would love to know john walsh's views on all this he is a fan of all 3 sports footy being tops i suspect anyone know him to ask ?

• Like 1

didnt John Walsh jump ship from the speedway ages ago . why ask him. he does not even go anymore , just like the rest of us . 

but hey , if ever the speedway returns , Walshy will be there wanting his free admission  and nominal fee . as long as he gets his name in the paper and on tv . he will be happy as a pig in  ....

• Haha 1

Wouldn’t be surprised if he fell out with it because of the way it’s run. Just my opinion, don’t see him anywhere. It’s got worse, too. 

Think u will find as john got older he cut down his workload , he was a good friend of the comets done alot beh8nd the scenes for them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno who ???,,, but I bet his lady is well proud of him ;)

The guy at the front of pic is a good bloke...it was the view of the arena that was the purpose of adding it, just to show the work done so far...sad to see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Also following the last  Rugby League World Cup when the Kiwi Rugby Team nearly walked out of the match they had scheduled at DP saying they wouldn't walk their dogs on DP and they trained on better pitches the Rugby Club stated  the pitch needed to be re-laid if they were going to have to share it with the football club.

Hiya THJ...the 'Kiwis' twined about most of Derwent Park.....their main one being about the smallness of the changing rooms...mind they were mainly very big guys.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jenga said:

didnt John Walsh jump ship from the speedway ages ago . why ask him. he does not even go anymore , just like the rest of us . 

but hey , if ever the speedway returns , Walshy will be there wanting his free admission  and nominal fee . as long as he gets his name in the paper and on tv . he will be happy as a pig in  ....

Walshy did sterling work on behalf of Comets before he was lost to them...he did however do a live commentary last season, for Radio Cumbria, on a Friday night meeting v Peterborough.

He is still flying his pigeons....and luvs those big spending 'Sky Blues' of Manchester...sadly.

18 minutes ago, singy13 said:

The guy at the front of pic is a good bloke...it was the view of the arena that was the purpose of adding it, just to show the work done so far...sad to see.

I didn't say the guy wasn't a good bloke, (a don't even know who he is),,, but dunno why you took a photo of him ? ;)

Just now, ruffdiamond said:

I didn't say the guy wasn't a good bloke, (a don't even know who he is),,, but dunno why you took a photo of him ? ;)

Ok sorry marra........I didn't take the photo...it was on facebook.....as I said to show DP developments.....Can't see speedway getting back on there ever.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:18 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Jacko is still working (use that term very loosely) at Sellafield and spending the rest of his spare time looking after his elderly parents. I spoke to him about two week back and he is threatening to go to a couple of choice meetings as a spectator if he gets the chance as was the case for Ben Barkers testimonial I believe where he managed the Worky four (unfortunately I missed that one)

Regards 

THJ 

Ha ha..Sellafield is the place for grafters for sure..............I somehow managed 30 years of it.

Miss my speedway fix big style....but too old to travel far nowadays....TV the only way for me I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Ok sorry marra........I didn't take the photo...it was on facebook.....as I said to show DP developments.....Can't see speedway getting back on there ever.

Ahh ok,,, would probly agree with you on the last bit :(

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Think u will find as john got older he cut down his workload , he was a good friend of the comets done alot beh8nd the scenes for them.

Fair enough, I don’t really know him myself. 

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Ha ha..Sellafield is the place for grafters for sure..............I somehow managed 30 years of it.

Miss my speedway fix big style....but too old to travel far nowadays....TV the only way for me I'm afraid.

GRAFTERS  l.m.a.o . i know its hard work getting your yearly dose of beta and gamma radiation . i get more watching telly.......  . grafters , is that a new kids bike ?