British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

6 hours ago, Derwent said:

Well here's the thing, Town wouldn't have needed to evict the Comets. You may not know but the Comets didn't actually have a formal lease for Derwent Park. They had a contract to rent it on an "as required" meeting by meeting basis subject to availability which is a completely different thing to a lease. They basically had no rights whatsoever regarding the stadium.

People who are having a go at Town need to realise that if it wasn't for their largesse then the Comets may not have completed their historic treble. Town let them use DP for the end of season meetings despite not having been paid for several weeks for the stadium's use. They could have just said sorry but you're not using it until we are paid up to date and there's not a thing Laura could have done about it.

Yeah we all know about the rent agreement Derwent it helped keep Town solvent for many years just like the food and bar takings from the Speedway , not so much a symbiotic relationship then. 

Comets did have a very difficult 2018 financially due in part to circumstances outside their control but i doubt very much whether Town are in a financially cosy position. No doubt they will exercise their right to charge the Reds to play at DP in order to make up for the income they will lose from the Speedway .

I'm a Town supporter so are some other Speedway Fans but what they have done to the track is making me consider not going again i'm so incensed. They have botched the place up for no great reason other than to try and get themselves a new pitch and changing rooms before the poop its the fan.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Derwent said:

I believe, and its only my hunch, that we will end up with a completely renovated Derwent Park instead of a new stadium. I think the council will then use the BP site to build the commercial offices etc for Sellafield and NHS as a stand alone business park.

Agreed, certainly looks to be heading in that direction!! ;)

9 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Yeah we all know about the rent agreement Derwent it helped keep Town solvent for many years just like the food and bar takings from the Speedway , not so much a symbiotic relationship then. 

Comets did have a very difficult 2018 financially due in part to circumstances outside their control but i doubt very much whether Town are in a financially cosy position. No doubt they will exercise their right to charge the Reds to play at DP in order to make up for the income they will lose from the Speedway .

I'm a Town supporter so are some other Speedway Fans but what they have done to the track is making me consider not going again i'm so incensed. They have botched the place up for no great reason other than to try and get themselves a new pitch and changing rooms before the poop its the fan.

I understand your anger about the track, it’s not something any of us are happy about.

But the other side of the coin is that as of now there is no speedway entity in existence to ride on it. Subsequent events re Laura’s finances have shown the claim that it was a one year moratorium to be completely untrue as the promotion simply don’t have the funds to resurrect it. I don’t see anyone on the horizon looking to pour money in either.

So, what are people expecting ? The track to be maintained in perpetuity on the off chance that someone eventually decides to lose money being a speedway promoter ? 

• Like 1

The track was left between 1987 - 1999 although tony mole altered it when he came onboard, i think town accept the stadium wont get built in time for the world cup and want derwent park to look better for those matches  .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

I understand your anger about the track, it’s not something any of us are happy about.

But the other side of the coin is that as of now there is no speedway entity in existence to ride on it. Subsequent events re Laura’s finances have shown the claim that it was a one year moratorium to be completely untrue as the promotion simply don’t have the funds to resurrect it. I don’t see anyone on the horizon looking to pour money in either.

So, what are people expecting ? The track to be maintained in perpetuity on the off chance that someone eventually decides to lose money being a speedway promoter ? 

For the track not to be destroyed so that there is a possibility of someone taking it on. Looking in it appears that the opportunity has been  seized to make sure that doesn't happen.  Even the armoured electric cable around the track that powered the red lights has been severed in multiple places.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

The track was left between 1987 - 1999 although tony mole altered it when he came onboard, i think town accept the stadium wont get built in time for the world cup and want derwent park to look better for those matches  .

Possibly may not go ahead at all Geoff.

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

well if there is any justice one of the Comets fans will have a big lottery win !

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

well if there is any justice one of the Comets fans will have a big lottery win !

Hooefully "thj" 

53 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Possibly may not go ahead at all Geoff.

Am also a rugby fan , but i hope it doesnt 

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

For the track not to be destroyed so that there is a possibility of someone taking it on. Looking in it appears that the opportunity has been  seized to make sure that doesn't happen.  Even the armoured electric cable around the track that powered the red lights has been severed in multiple places.

The pitch did not meet the FA's minimum width dimensions for football so the only option was to widen it. Which obviously meant the track had to go. I'm sure if they could have done the pitch alterations without dmaging the track then they would have done. But as long as football is going to be played there then there is no room for a speedway track. Now that it is looking increasingly likely that the new stadium won't be built then football looks set to be played at DP for a long time to come. I know its an emotional issue but you really can't blame anyone for a decision to accommodate a club that does exist over one that doesn't if you look at the hard facts.

Lets hope so and that they build a stadium like Belle Vue specifically for speedway. That would be brilliant.

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Derwent Park won't be used for the RLWC under any circumstances. The RLWC organisers have officially confirmed that if there is no new stadium then there will not be any games in Cumbria at all and they are looking at alternative venues elsewhere in the country as a Plan B.

43 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Hooefully "thj" 

Go on then am available....

Funnily enough I keep praying to the Good Lord for that very thing to happen and every night I say my prayers and end with "please God if you can let me win big on the lottery" and it hasn't happened yet.... however last night in a dream the Good Lord came to me and told me what he wanted me to do and when he finished I asked "Lord every night for the last 10 years I have ask for  a big lottery win an still nothing? Whats wrong?" He said "John you are going to have to work with me here" "I said Lord what would you like me to do" and he said "well you could at least buy an effing ticket for a start" Doh!!!

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Go on then am available....

Funnily enough I keep praying to the Good Lord for that very thing to happen and every night I say my prayers and end with "please God if you can let me win big on the lottery" and it hasn't happened yet.... however last night in a dream the Good Lord came to me and told me what he wanted me to do and when he finished I asked "Lord every night for the last 10 years I have ask for  a big lottery win an still nothing? Whats wrong?" He said "John you are going to have to work with me here" "I said Lord what would you like me to do" and he said "well you could at least buy an effing ticket for a start" Doh!!!

Regards 

THJ 

Yay good one THJ........Bernard Manning lives on eh.. lol.................Hey there 'Derwent'.........think I've sussed you ID...not 'banking' on you 'telling' me tho..... ha, ha.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

I am not sure what you expect the rugby club to do, they are quite rightly looking after themselves and who can blame them. The ground is a s***hole (and yes it was until last year, partly our s***hole). But there is no speedway club, it is no more, ceased to be, expired gone to meet it's maker AN EX-SPEEDWAY CLUB.......

As Derwent says the pair of surviving clubs have to do what is best for them, and that obviously involved widening and relaying the playing surface. Also you have to have a bit of sympathy with them, as no-one seems to know what is going to happen regarding the stadium development. Hopefully it will go ahead....but who knows.....there's politicians involved!!!!

• Like 1