British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

24 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

I am not sure what you expect the rugby club to do, they are quite rightly looking after themselves and who can blame them. The ground is a s***hole (and yes it was until last year, partly our s***hole). But there is no speedway club, it is no more, ceased to be, expired gone to meet it's maker AN EX-SPEEDWAY CLUB.......

As Derwent says the pair of surviving clubs have to do what is best for them, and that obviously involved widening and relaying the playing surface. Also you have to have a bit of sympathy with them, as no-one seems to know what is going to happen regarding the stadium development. Hopefully it will go ahead....but who knows.....there's politicians involved!!!!

Fingers crossed it doesn't go ahead, complete waste of money for a Sunday League Football/Amateur Rugby Club to pull in around what size of crowd , a few hundred ?? sitting in a massive 8000 Stadium with a few offices in it :rolleyes: 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Fingers crossed it doesn't go ahead, complete waste of money for a Sunday League Football/Amateur Rugby Club to pull in around what size of crowd , a few hundred ?? sitting in a massive 8000 Stadium with a few offices in it :rolleyes:  

I presume your comments are very much tongue in cheek.

The question is, do all concerned carry on pumping money into decaying facilities well past their sell by dates, or do they want a state of the art facility fit to help drag this part of West Cumbria into the 21st century. Maybe part of the reason for the dwindling attendances is the state of the present facilities. Imagine also the impression prospective signings get when they turn up at DP or BP for the first time!

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

So no benefit to the area at all then ? Not the Sellafield and NHS workers putting money into the local economy at lunchtime etc ? Not the new NHS facilities and clinics ? Not the staging of pop concerts and major sporting events that provide a large economic boost ? Not the vastly improved facilities for juniors and grassroots sport in what will be a community stadium ? No wonder this area will never have anything when all of the above is a “complete waste of money”. Sometimes I think the folk round here get what they deserve, ie nowt.

• Like 1

Guest Loose Diamond
4 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

I am not sure what you expect the rugby club to do, they are quite rightly looking after themselves and who can blame them. The ground is a s***hole (and yes it was until last year, partly our s***hole). But there is no speedway club, it is no more, ceased to be, expired gone to meet it's maker AN EX-SPEEDWAY CLUB.......

As Derwent says the pair of surviving clubs have to do what is best for them, and that obviously involved widening and relaying the playing surface. Also you have to have a bit of sympathy with them, as no-one seems to know what is going to happen regarding the stadium development. Hopefully it will go ahead....but who knows.....there's politicians involved!!!!

I don't know why Northside could not be developed? Has no one thought of this? Someone must have surely? Then you would not have the track limitations of Rugby/Football. I wish Newcastle could get out of Newcastle Greyhound Stadium. The speedway Sabatuer's are at work all the time. It is disgraceful what they do there.

5 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

I don't know why Northside could not be developed? Has no one thought of this? Someone must have surely? Then you would not have the track limitations of Rugby/Football. I wish Newcastle could get out of Newcastle Greyhound Stadium. The speedway Sabatuer's are at work all the time. It is disgraceful what they do there.

This has been discussed in this thread Loose Diamond and THJ has outlined what is required the main facilitators being a promoter and a council willing to help. If we have the first then i'm really hopeful we would have the second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

So no benefit to the area at all then ? Not the Sellafield and NHS workers putting money into the local economy at lunchtime etc ? Not the new NHS facilities and clinics ? Not the staging of pop concerts and major sporting events that provide a large economic boost ? Not the vastly improved facilities for juniors and grassroots sport in what will be a community stadium ? No wonder this area will never have anything when all of the above is a “complete waste of money”. Sometimes I think the folk round here get what they deserve, ie nowt.

These are all good valid points Derwent and i'm all for bringing this part of the world into the 21st century.  Thirty million pounds is a lot of cash but perhaps Real Madrid put it into perspective by looking to fork out eighty eight million for Eden Hazard rising to potentially twice that with add ons ??? now that is silly money. 

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

20190606_135617.thumb.jpg.89fb073331296566c905282fba99419f.jpg

Its not level either singy and needs further work. It has flooded twice now in the areas it always has, has it been rushed ?.  Storm Miguel is due saturday see how much water it holds after this. It hasn't been seeded yet for obvious reasons so its got to be running behind schedule.

1 hour ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

I presume your comments are very much tongue in cheek.

The question is, do all concerned carry on pumping money into decaying facilities well past their sell by dates, or do they want a state of the art facility fit to help drag this part of West Cumbria into the 21st century. Maybe part of the reason for the dwindling attendances is the state of the present facilities. Imagine also the impression prospective signings get when they turn up at DP or BP for the first time!

Not solely the reason for dwindling attendances but a valid point none the less. New facilities can be a catalyst for better attendance, the new leisure centre backs this up but it must be used in an intelligent manner to maximise potential and to be fair i think the business case goes a long way towards this.

55 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Not solely the reason for dwindling attendances but a valid point none the less. New facilities can be a catalyst for better attendance, the new leisure centre backs this up but it must be used in an intelligent manner to maximise potential and to be fair i think the business case goes a long way towards this. 

Exactly, and with interest rates at a historical low now is the time for the council to get a developer/NHS/Sellafield et al on board, put politics to one side, and just get on with it.

Regarding Northside, it is really a chicken and egg situation - we need both a promoter/ and we need some help from Allerdale (who you would like to think feel they owe speedway something).

To my mind developing Northside solely for speedway, would mean we are in charge of our own destiny ie no dodgy lease/rental/gentleman's agreement type thing. It is a far better proposition than trying to squeeze a track around a full sized football/rugby pitch which never really works. Just ask Jenga which stadium has/had the best atmosphere for watching his mighty Hammers - The Boleyn or the London Stadium.

Now, where is that elusive, speedway loving multi millionaire when you need them?

THJ.....Get that ticket bought!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

Their are sellafield offices in haven they get free parking and take their own lunch , whitehaven has seen no benifit 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Their are sellafield offices in haven they get free parking and take their own lunch , whitehaven has seen no benifit 

I think those folk do a laal bit of shopping around the town though....but don't make a major difference as you indicate.

30 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

developing Northside solely for speedway, would mean we are in charge of our own destiny 

It's just not a good enough area to develop though.........for all Derwent Park's many faults is was still a palace compared to some purpose built facilities..e.g. large and proper grandstand, concrete terracing etc....I always recall being disappointed at Barrow's out of town Park Rd. stadium...it was awful, and never popular with the Furness public...therefore short life span.

Northside would be much worse.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

So are you saying that you cant tell the difference between Workington and Whitehaven...............................................................?