British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

1 hour ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Exactly, and with interest rates at a historical low now is the time for the council to get a developer/NHS/Sellafield et al on board, put politics to one side, and just get on with it.

Regarding Northside, it is really a chicken and egg situation - we need both a promoter/ and we need some help from Allerdale (who you would like to think feel they owe speedway something).

To my mind developing Northside solely for speedway, would mean we are in charge of our own destiny ie no dodgy lease/rental/gentleman's agreement type thing. It is a far better proposition than trying to squeeze a track around a full sized football/rugby pitch which never really works. Just ask Jenga which stadium has/had the best atmosphere for watching his mighty Hammers - The Boleyn or the London Stadium.

Now, where is that elusive, speedway loving multi millionaire when you need them?

THJ.....Get that ticket bought!

Boleyn Ground does (did)  it for me all the time .

just one thing tho , Northside only has permission to do training meetings , but on any day !

just adding ... when in Whitehaven i noticed lots of workers returning into the new buildings with Greggs, Costa and many other forms of human fuel .  i would say it has helped the local  economy out a wee bit , but its only money they would have spent in the BNFL  . cafes ..

Edited by jenga

30 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

So are you saying that you cant tell the difference between Workington and Whitehaven...............................................................?

Yes one has jam with lunch , the other doesnt !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

JAM ehhh , posh bartenders ...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, singy13 said:

It's just not a good enough area to develop though.........for all Derwent Park's many faults is was still a palace compared to some purpose built facilities..e.g. large and proper grandstand, concrete terracing etc....I always recall being disappointed at Barrow's out of town Park Rd. stadium...it was awful, and never popular with the Furness public...therefore short life span.

Northside would be much worse.

Oldside (Northside) was one of the sites evaluated for the New Stadium, badly marked down on user attractiveness and regeneration value for this purpose. The biggest issue with the training track site is security, hidden away in the trees in a secluded location leaves it open to theft and vandalism from which it has historically suffered. Would need top security fence and plenty of razor wire for sure. Would be better if it was more out in the open in close proximity to a frequently used road.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, geoff100 said:

think we all know which way is which Geoff !

37 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

think we all know which way is which Geoff !

aye , the ones from (frae) workington (wuckintun) say the jam eaters are from (frae) whitehaven  and the ones from (frae) whitehaven  say the jam eaters are (frae) workington (wuckintun).

the word jam eaters  came from (frae)  the miners that worked (wucked) down (doon) the pit and was considered to be the fuel for the miners , cheap and and easy and quick to knock up ( oh eck , thats gonna get me in trouble ) lol . so both towns folk say  the other ones as jam eaters .

the word frae is Scottish and translates to from  (for  us posh folk )

doon translates to down .  

garn translates to going . both are cumbrian , i do believe . honestly !

so when someone says to you , are you garn doon t speedway......    you only have to answer . ... not any more mate  .lol

see ya,all  sometime  . keep the faith ............ J.....

always happy to be shot down , ...

Edited by jenga
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

Oldside (Northside) was one of the sites evaluated for the New Stadium, badly marked down on user attractiveness and regeneration value for this purpose. The biggest issue with the training track site is security, hidden away in the trees in a secluded location leaves it open to theft and vandalism from which it has historically suffered. Would need top security fence and plenty of razor wire for sure. Would be better if it was more out in the open in close proximity to a frequently used road.

But what a location. A stunning beach situated a stones throw from the track. No venue could replicate that.

• Haha 3

On 6/7/2019 at 10:16 AM, cityrebel said:

But what a location. A stunning beach situated a stones throw from the track. No venue could replicate that.

Costa Del Oldside playground of the rich and famous ! if only.

3 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Costa Del Oldside playground of the rich and famous ! if only.

Yes, the gypsies. :angry::nono:

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Yes, the gypsies. :angry::nono:

i have yet to meet any poor gypsies .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jenga said:

i have yet to meet any poor gypsies .

I met one in Newton Mearns Waitrose carrying several bags of shopping.

I remember thinking to myself at the time. they must be heavy for her, poor gypsy that she was 

A group recently occupied a site by Workington harbour side which has planning permission for houses. The rubbish they left behind was disgraceful and included multiple empty gas cylinders, garden waste /tree cuttings, multiple burst black bags containing all sorts of waste debris, building waste and a large tyre. They just seem immune to prosecution.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gazc said:

I met one in Newton Mearns Waitrose carrying several bags of shopping.

I remember thinking to myself at the time. they must be heavy for her, poor gypsy that she was 

peob someone elses shopping !

can anyone tell me if the grass needs cutting @ Derwent Park ?

• Haha 1