British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

i see you could be looking forward to higher council tax bills when this finally gets the go ahead . poor people of ALERDALE  will be paying for it for the rest of their lives . if its not broke , dont fix it 

9 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Yes lets keep the give the 2 s***holes a lick of paint each, and Bobs your uncle this part of West Cumbria can remain steadfastly in the 19th Century.

Why would Workington want or need  a state of the art multi function community stadium making use of historically low interest rates and interested prospective partners, when they already have the delights of BP and DP............

Absolutely pathetic, backward thinking idiots, and that is not just aimed at the lily livered excuse for councillors who have voted this down.

Got to agree with this . I would imagine it will  take some considerable time to come up with an alternative. Even the Town traders submitted a petition in favour of the stadium based on expected increase footfall from the Sellafield and NHS workers that would be using the facility.

If your going to do something do it properly is my view re this. Can't wait for the Council Executive reasons for rejection and their intended contingency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jenga said:

i see you could be looking forward to higher council tax bills when this finally gets the go ahead . poor people of ALERDALE  will be paying for it for the rest of their lives . if its not broke , dont fix it 

I would expect to contribute through Council Tax for better community facilities . What would your reaction be if the council backed plans for a new speedway facility but stated this may result in an overall increase in council tax ?

3 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

I would expect to contribute through Council Tax for better community facilities . What would your reaction be if the council backed plans for a new speedway facility but stated this may result in an overall increase in council tax ?

Joe Public cant do anything about it . we just have to pay if we use it or not . but i can see a smaller/cheaper stadium being built in the next couple of years ....

2 hours ago, jenga said:

Joe Public cant do anything about it . we just have to pay if we use it or not . but i can see a smaller/cheaper stadium being built in the next couple of years ....

Don't see that happening, not even in 10 years.....but if Derwent Park becomes permanent home to both clubs, as seems more than likely,  I therefore can see hope for a speedway venture.. it makes sense, doesn't it ????

5 hours ago, jenga said:

Breeze blocks and tin sheeting is an Allerdale speciality,get a few community service lads to knock it up,cheap and cheerful,get those bonus sheets and expenses forms completed allerdale

1 hour ago, gregory peck said:

Breeze blocks and tin sheeting is an Allerdale speciality,get a few community service lads to knock it up,cheap and cheerful,get those bonus sheets and expenses forms completed allerdale

Ok Allerdale go and see Armadale for help/ideas on stadium build..........The Edinburgh tin sheeting extravaganza.

• Haha 1

Yea keep this thread running soon be end of season if the matches run !! Rain no rain in Berwick !! Scunny call off ?. But don't think anyone will be 3 X champions this year

This was all about the Rugby World Cup...pushing through a bloody daft idea in order to bring a few rugby matches to the area, sod the speedway...sod the football, lets manipulate everything to suit Workington Town, let's not worry about the long terrm implications to the tax payer. What Allerdale needs is an new stadium that is fit for purpose and is financiablly viable, that meets the needs of all the local sports, that will serve the needs of youth development and the community, that will bring new business to the town and surrounding areas, that will look beyond today and to the future...Allerdale isnt just Workington its a huge area of West Cumbria and the needs of the entire area need to be considered not just one club

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Liz !!! said:

This was all about the Rugby World Cup...pushing through a bloody daft idea in order to bring a few rugby matches to the area, sod the speedway...sod the football, lets manipulate everything to suit Workington Town, let's not worry about the long terrm implications to the tax payer. What Allerdale needs is an new stadium that is fit for purpose and is financiablly viable, that meets the needs of all the local sports, that will serve the needs of youth development and the community, that will bring new business to the town and surrounding areas, that will look beyond today and to the future...Allerdale isnt just Workington its a huge area of West Cumbria and the needs of the entire area need to be considered not just one club

The nss at manchester fits the bill  !  Now where can i get a comets polo shirt ???

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

The nss at manchester fits the bill  !  Now where can i get a comets polo shirt ???

have a look in the charity shops !

19 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

TaylorJ's washing line ;)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Liz !!! said:

What Allerdale needs is an new stadium that is fit for purpose and is financiablly viable, that meets the needs of all the local sports, that will serve the needs of youth development and the community, that will bring new business to the town and surrounding areas, that will look beyond today and to the future...Allerdale isnt just Workington its a huge area of West Cumbria and the needs of the entire area need to be considered not just one club

Agree with all the above, and from what I understand that is exactly what the proposed stadium was aiming to deliver. As for the rugby world cup, so what if they were aiming to stage matches there - what better way of showcasing a brand spanking new facility and at the same time showing that this part West Cumbria means business and is determined to move with the times.

This will be a huge opportunity missed, and one that probably wont happen again.

As for the speedway, the public had their opportunity last year to show what interest was still out there for the sport by turning up and supporting the best and most successful team in its history. Unfortunately only around 450 or so of us could be a**ed to do so. Who knows, if 1000+ had come through the gate maybe things could have been so different!

3 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Agree with all the above, and from what I understand that is exactly what the proposed stadium was aiming to deliver. As for the rugby world cup, so what if they were aiming to stage matches there - what better way of showcasing a brand spanking new facility and at the same time showing that this part West Cumbria means business and is determined to move with the times.

This will be a huge opportunity missed, and one that probably wont happen again.

As for the speedway, the public had their opportunity last year to show what interest was still out there for the sport by turning up and supporting the best and most successful team in its history. Unfortunately only around 450 or so of us could be a**ed to do so. Who knows, if 1000+ had come through the gate maybe things could have been so different!

The main issue with the 2021 World Cup bid is that it was secured before planning was even approved for the stadium they were going to hold it in therefore inflating the costs considerably by having to build it much quicker than necessary. I have no issue with World Cup matches being held in the area but this was all done ar*se about face !

Edited by Liz !!!
  • Haha 2