British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

6 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I am a rugby fan aswell as a speedway fanatic but will not be going to watch town again, lets hurt them where it hurts the most in the pocket comet fans boycott the place .

Well i'm with you on this one geoff 100.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I am a rugby fan aswell as a speedway fanatic but will not be going to watch town again, lets hurt them where it hurts the most in the pocket comet fans boycott the place .

The way town are performing at the minute they're doing a pretty good job of losing support all by themselves,a shambles all round

• Like 4

Reds stated they were going nowhere if the new stadium didn''t go ahead . Was it just coincidence that Town battered on with the relaying of the pitch, new changing rooms and carving up of the speedway track ? i think not. The  increase in pitch dimensions was supposedly only to facilitate the Reds which now looks dead in the water,  after all why would they want to pay rent to Town ?.

Seems like the the reported amounts of money required for Reds to maintain the required safety certification were also widely exaggerated. The amount now being quoted is £15K quite a difference from rumoured six figure sums at the time.

There has to be some accountability somewhere for the reckless damage done to the speedway track. I have already contacted the councillors on the executive re this and i implore you to do the same. The relevant e-mail addresses can be found on page 21 of this thread, let them know how you feel !!!

• Like 4

Guest Loose Diamond
12 hours ago, gregory peck said:

The way town are performing at the minute they're doing a pretty good job of losing support all by themselves,a shambles all round

Not sure what league there in now. Relegated from Evostik Premier last season.

7 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

Northern Premier League - Northern Premier League North West Division

The Reds have played a blinder here, they have stuck to their principles and hung on to their stadium and its paid off for them, they will stay put on their own, no having to share with another club and will wait until the new stadium plans are revised and on a more concrete footing. They will tidy up thier little, much loved stadium and get on with it. The biggest  losers now are the speedway, supporters need to make sure when the council start to revise the plans and put the information out for public consideration they go and put their views forward, lobby/petoition the council etc, my money is they wont and speedway in Workington will be lost forever

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Loose Diamond said:

Just for info......'Town' are the Rugby League club, based at Derwent Park...and currently play in League 1 (which is the bottom segment of pro RL)...the relegated Evostick team are the 'Reds' soccer team of Borough Park fame... lol. Both stadiums are well past their use by date.  I attend Derwent Park to support Town, and was an avid Comets fan.

Edited by singy13

Guest Loose Diamond
1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Just for info......'Town' are the Rugby League club, based at Derwent Park...and currently play in League 1 (which is the bottom segment of pro RL)...the relegated Evostick team are the 'Reds' soccer team of Borough Park fame... lol. Both stadiums are well past their use by date.  I attend Derwent Park to support Town, and was an avid Comets fan.

Ok. I've been to Borough Park twice to watch Blyth Spartans. A few years ago when the Spartans were in the same league. Vanarama North it is now. Ground was dilapidated then. Not sure how much worse it is now. Been to Derwent Park many times. Lou Samson era and beyond! Joe and Tom Owen and beyond. I can remember one great Comets fan tried to punch David Bargh at the beginning of a race! That stadium was a bit ramshackle then as well.

Guest Loose Diamond
5 hours ago, Liz !!! said:

The Reds have played a blinder here, they have stuck to their principles and hung on to their stadium and its paid off for them, they will stay put on their own, no having to share with another club and will wait until the new stadium plans are revised and on a more concrete footing. They will tidy up thier little, much loved stadium and get on with it. The biggest  losers now are the speedway, supporters need to make sure when the council start to revise the plans and put the information out for public consideration they go and put their views forward, lobby/petoition the council etc, my money is they wont and speedway in Workington will be lost forever

I hope not. But unfortunately you could be completely correct.

12 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

Ok. I've been to Borough Park twice to watch Blyth Spartans. A few years ago when the Spartans were in the same league. Vanarama North it is now. Ground was dilapidated then. Not sure how much worse it is now. Been to Derwent Park many times. Lou Samson era and beyond! Joe and Tom Owen and beyond. I can remember one great Comets fan tried to punch David Bargh at the beginning of a race! That stadium was a bit ramshackle then as well.

Great memories...Joe Owen was the best visiting rider I've ever seen at Derwent Park...perfect balance at great speed..but my all time hero for the Comets was in the initial Ian Thomas/Geoff Brownhutt 1970 campaign....Mr. Excitement..Bob Valentine !!!!..he'd pass inside/ outside/any line..

I've been to many 'ramshackle' speedway venues for sure....lot worse than DP.

Not sure how much Borough Park has declined coz I never watched Reds, but have been to the two Town matches held there last couple of weeks...seen worse to be honest.

.....Derwent Park has slowly worn away...tho new plastic seats replaced the old wooden bottom achers not that long ago.

Guest Loose Diamond
7 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Great memories...Joe Owen was the best visiting rider I've ever seen at Derwent Park...perfect balance at great speed..but my all time hero for the Comets was in the initial Ian Thomas/Geoff Brownhutt 1970 campaign....Mr. Excitement..Bob Valentine !!!!..he'd pass inside/ outside/any line..

I've been to many 'ramshackle' speedway venues for sure....lot worse than DP.

Not sure how much Borough Park has declined coz I never watched Reds, but have been to the two Town matches held there last couple of weeks...seen worse to be honest.

.....Derwent Park has slowly worn away...tho new plastic seats replaced the old wooden bottom achers not that long ago.

Very good. 

AHH , Brough park perfect . concrete never goes out of fashion , does it .  if i lived next door to ir , i still would not go ! LOL ..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jenga said:

AHH , Brough park perfect . concrete never goes out of fashion , does it .  if i lived next door to ir , i still would not go ! LOL ..

Yes ya would....

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yes ya would....

here we go ! oh no i wouldnt . :icon_smile_clown:

52 minutes ago, jenga said:

here we go ! oh no i wouldnt . :icon_smile_clown:

Well I would.........

• Haha 1