Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
singy13

Derwent Park..update on Town RL forum

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

 

 

Oh dear the dreaded VAT man and some may not be aware that he (The VAT man) is a separate entity to HMRC and all three posts are valid and correct in certain respects....

I have had run ins with both departments and you can deal with the HMRC on issues like PAYE and NIC but the VAT man is a totally different prospect and he doesn't deal he goes for you with a vengeance having once been told off him he would remove my chattel's to the value he was owed and when I said I've never owned any cows he went on a major rant down the phone... no sense of humour whatsoever... plus he was based in Glasgow and we know what their sense of humour is like from experience...

So yes large figures can be run up quite quickly... 60 grand of VAT on bad debt in our companies case over 3 month...  and the Directors of No 10 Catering  are saying that the Tax man is wrong so I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt until it is proven otherwise... knowing the issues I had to resolve with the HMRC over the years they do make mistakes...

There do seem to be issues surrounding No 10 and LJM Asset Management both companies Laura has interests in but; if, when or ever; we find out the facts everything else is just speculation... 

Also there is a myth that they can only go back 6/7 years which is wrong they, HMRC and VAT can go back to day one it's only "us mugs" who are time restricted...

The bottom line is none of this helps bring back Speedway which is really the concern we all have...

Regards 

THJ 

And there lies the biggest worry exactly as your last line says......our real concern is that all the reassurance/positivity from Tony Jackson in the SS and Laura's comments on Facebook about running in 2020 are all about to go down the pan , the writing seems to be very much on the Wall :(.....Speaking to someone yesterday who attends Town matches saying what a mess the track is . Sadly I feel the days of watching the mighty Blue & White are well and truly over :cry:

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

There do seem to be issues surrounding No 10 and LJM Asset Management both companies Laura has interests in but; if, when or ever; we find out the facts everything else is just speculation... 

Also there is a myth that they can only go back 6/7 years which is wrong they, HMRC and VAT can go back to day one it's only "us mugs" who are time restricted...

The bottom line is none of this helps bring back Speedway which is really the concern we all have...

Nope....whatever we put on here can't bring the Comets back in an instant for sure........so does anyone fancy exchanging views on something a bit less complex....'Brexit' for example ???:cheers:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Taylorj said:

..Speaking to someone yesterday who attends Town matches saying what a mess the track is .

I follow Town too....just been to DP to get my ticket for Friday versus the big enemy.  Took the opportunity to have a look at the track etc.

The track is NOT in a mess - granted there is one set of vehicle wheel-marks visible around it...probably made during wet weather...and a few *human footprints surround the pit gate area..otherwise it all looks as ever was. BTW didn't find anyone to ask re the proposed removal of shale. 

* animals arrive Friday..lol.

Edited by singy13
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t you Workington fans just realise that you have lost your Speedway Team, There was not enough of you going when you were running, it was not financially viable, The Promoters were going cap in hand to run again this Season, as sad as it is Workington Speedway Is Finished, get over it and move on.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Argos said:

Why don’t you Workington fans just realise that you have lost your Speedway Team, There was not enough of you going when you were running, it was not financially viable, The Promoters were going cap in hand to run again this Season, as sad as it is Workington Speedway Is Finished, get over it and move on. 



Because my friend, the only thing certain in life is death. 

Workington Speedway is currently in a coma (license on ice), uncertainty is in the air, one would simply not switch off the life support machine straight away and give up all hope...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Argos said:

Why don’t you Workington fans just realise that you have lost your Speedway Team, There was not enough of you going when you were running, it was not financially viable, The Promoters were going cap in hand to run again this Season, as sad as it is Workington Speedway Is Finished, get over it and move on.

Why don't you naff off this thread , don't like reading it , don't , no -one got a gun to your head so you jog on and move on .........

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Oh dear the dreaded VAT man and some may not be aware that he (The VAT man) is a separate entity to HMRC

You're a bit confused there.

There used to be two separate entities.  The Inland Revenue (who were responsible for Direct Taxation - e.g. Income Tax, N.I., Corporation Tax, CGT etc etc) and Customs & Excise (who were responsible for Indirect Taxation -  e.g. VAT, Customs Duties  etc etc).

They were combined into one Government Department in 2005 -  "HM Revenue & Customs" (HMRC).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Argos said:

Why don’t you Workington fans just realise that you have lost your Speedway Team, There was not enough of you going when you were running, it was not financially viable, The Promoters were going cap in hand to run again this Season, as sad as it is Workington Speedway Is Finished, get over it and move on.

Its "dicks" like u that prob closed coventry .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

You're a bit confused there.

There used to be two separate entities.  The Inland Revenue (who were responsible for Direct Taxation - e.g. Income Tax, N.I., Corporation Tax, CGT etc etc) and Customs & Excise (who were responsible for Indirect Taxation -  e.g. VAT, Customs Duties  etc etc).

They were combined into one Government Department in 2005 -  "HM Revenue & Customs" (HMRC).

No confusion here bonny lad they may have shared a common title since then however in 2010/2011 when we were fighting on with them they were two separate entities. Tax and NI dealt with from a Newcastle office  and a guy came to our office to sort out his issue and when we asked about the VAT element he said that had nothing to do with him the office dealing with that is Cumbernauld.

Every payroll issue is dealt with from either a Newcastle or Sunderland office, pension queries go to Tyne View Park in Benton and VAT queries and issues go to Cumbernauld all separate and none of them deal with another in anyway whatsoever... They can't even access each other's IT Systems...

I assume all the monies end up in the same HM Tax Revenues pot however they are all separate entities in there own right and as I still run my own business it is still what we have to do each time they get things wrong and we are really looking forward to making Tax Digital (not) but at least the mistakes will be down to us as we will be doing the bulk of their jobs for them...

Jezzzussss don't get me started on the Tax Man in whatever form he comes in.... nearly as bad as Brexit... 

Regards 

THJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never really understood VAT and sport as not clear on sports tickets that you pay at gate. So if I go to Monmore Green and pay £28 for me and the missus to get in and £3.00 for a programme are you saying Wolves have to pay 20% the the VAT man (£6.20), christ that's a huge chunk, and if they pay VAT I assume no way of claiming back??...

No wonder Speedway clubs are going bust....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, HGould said:

never really understood VAT and sport as not clear on sports tickets that you pay at gate. So if I go to Monmore Green and pay £28 for me and the missus to get in and £3.00 for a programme are you saying Wolves have to pay 20% the the VAT man (£6.20), christ that's a huge chunk, and if they pay VAT I assume no way of claiming back??...

No wonder Speedway clubs are going bust....

 

Yes although the vat comes out of your calcs not on top of, in other words your admission includes vat so out of £23 the vat content is £3.8333r - or £19.16 + vat. So that would be £2.50 for the programme and £16.16 admission to the club.

Edited by Byker Biker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes although the vat comes out of your calcs not on top of, in other words your admission includes vat so out of £23 the vat content is £3.8333r - or £19.16 + vat. So that would be £2.50 for the programme and £16.16 admission to the club.

But did you know that if you call your programme a match day magazine it is zero rated for VAT

In the UK, printed books, newspapers, journals and magazines (or 'periodicals') are zero-rated for VAT but not programmes...

Which club issues a match day magazine rather than a programme BB...

Regards 

THJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 1:00 PM, SteelShoe said:

Be careful who you vote for, at least the Labour council are trying to drag the town into the 21st century regardless of what is happening with the speedway. Mike Heaslip Labour Councillor did at least knock on our door. Unfortunately i wasn't home but the wife raised the issue about the speedway following reports that the council were apparently ignoring approaches from the speedway. Mr Heaslip stated that it was his belief that there was a meeting friday 12th April with 'the lady who runs the speedway' . He was also suggesting that Derwent Park would be available following the move by Town/Reds into any new stadium . 

Following on from this i am in a position to confirm that the Labour led Allerdale Borough Council did indeed meet with Laura. I am led to believe that something could develop re Comets moving to Oldside and that hopefully some sort of press release could follow. My advice to all speedway fans would be to vote Labour because this could well hinge on Labour retaining control of the Council so do the right thing !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

But did you know that if you call your programme a match day magazine it is zero rated for VAT

In the UK, printed books, newspapers, journals and magazines (or 'periodicals') are zero-rated for VAT but not programmes...

Which club issues a match day magazine rather than a programme BB...

Regards 

THJ 

Yes, but the jury was out on it and they had started to clawback some monies pending a judgement and advised those that were audited to declare going forward pending the outcome. It seemed different inspectors had different opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

But did you know that if you call your programme a match day magazine it is zero rated for VAT

In the UK, printed books, newspapers, journals and magazines (or 'periodicals') are zero-rated for VAT but not programmes..

Regards 

THJ 

 

41 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Yes, but the jury was out on it and they had started to clawback some monies pending a judgement and advised those that were audited to declare going forward pending the outcome. It seemed different inspectors had different opinions.

Would that be classed as 'tax avoidance' ?

Is it similar to when buying 'working' dog food from the supermarket (VAT free)? Who can prove if your dog is a 'working' dog, or a 'couch' dog and, how many folk have used this loop-hole to avoid paying their due's.

Edited by ruffdiamond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy