British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester v Redcar BCS 30.03.19

13 hours ago, Elmo said:

Can we have some decent grading equipment please?

Some better track lighting is also required.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Yes, I was thinking the same, last week and this... Has it been changed at all since last season or is my eyesight just failing as I get older and grumpier?

32 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Absolutely. At last weeks meeting it was awful. Leicester are not the only track in need of an lighting upgrade. At Rye House last season, the riders needed miners helmets to negotiate the bends!

......ianb.......

crowd looked substantially down on last week too.

It didn't look down by a great deal. Understandable though as the previous week was the first match of the season and against  Ipswich who are in the higher league.....also Chris Harris riding seems to pull a few extra fans in. (Fliss loves him so she was there) :D  But to be serious I'm pretty sure there will be even less each week if the racing doesn't improve so hopefully it will. 

Agree about the lighting as it's always been awful and it's now worse by the stupid change to Yellow helmet colours which are difficult to tell apart from White.  I don't know what colour Scott was wearing either because it certainly wasn't Blue.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gemini said:

It didn't look down by a great deal. Understandable though as the previous week was the first match of the season and against  Ipswich who are in the higher league.....also Chris Harris riding seems to pull a few extra fans in. (Fliss loves him so she was there) :D  But to be serious I'm pretty sure there will be even less each week if the racing doesn't improve so hopefully it will. 

Agree about the lighting as it's always been awful and it's now worse by the stupid change to Yellow helmet colours which are difficult to tell apart from White.  I don't know what colour Scott was wearing either because it certainly wasn't Blue.

It used to be the case that fans stayed away for challenges and then turned up for the real competitions, there were certainly a lot less where I was standing than last week. Agree, I really struggled with the yellow helmet colour... I thought they recently went back to yellow and black?

9 hours ago, Gemini said:

It was the same at Foxhall on Thursday, white and yellow both looked the same to me. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It was the same at Foxhall on Thursday, white and yellow both looked the same to me. 

My moiney is on Vardy to be the first ref to make the same mistake

Did any of those of you commenting on the racing actually go? And if you did were you watching??

Obviously not I’d say by your comments on the racing, there was plenty of passing....

58 minutes ago, peckover said:

Did any of those of you commenting on the racing actually go? And if you did were you watching??

Obviously not I’d say by your comments on the racing, there was plenty of passing....

yep, I was there, the only 2 moments of comment were Bates beating Stewart on the line and a cracking ride by Connor Mountain. Everything else was a total procession with riders strung out with 30 yards between each of them. Oh and seemingly hours of tractor racing. What did you see?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, adonis said:

My moiney is on Vardy to be the first ref to make the same mistake

She is no more gone and not coming back 

3 minutes ago, mac101 said:

She is no more gone and not coming back 

Good news for speedway that  good job I'm not a gambler :D

Edited by adonis

1 hour ago, iainb said:

yep, I was there, the only 2 moments of comment were Bates beating Stewart on the line and a cracking ride by Connor Mountain. Everything else was a total procession with riders strung out with 30 yards between each of them. Oh and seemingly hours of tractor racing. What did you see?

I agree that too many times races are too strung out but there does not have to be passing to have an interesting race. Close racing is what is require which we won't often get until teams have riders of similar qualities and abilities. I've been to many meetings up and down the country where the fare has been just the same. Passing is good but you can still see a good race when the riders keep closer together and seem to be making an effort to get or keep better race positions.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

I agree that too many times races are too strung out but there does not have to be passing to have an interesting race. Close racing is what is require which we won't often get until teams have riders of similar qualities and abilities. I've been to many meetings up and down the country where the fare has been just the same. Passing is good but you can still see a good race when the riders keep closer together and seem to be making an effort to get or keep better race positions.

It also doesn't help when visiting Heat Leaders are un-competitive, for whatever reason, scoring just 7 points from 8 rides.

As a first time visitor to Leicester I will say it was one of the worst presented meetings I have been too in many a year.

The ' Racing ' was none existent, who ever came out of the second turn infront won except for the Bates ' overtake' on the line.

Track preparation was awful hence the tractor spending more time on the track than the riders, ( a rider did post a video of the track condition before the meeting showing the problem hours before the meeting) and led to two riders crashing.

Control of the starts was terrible, why did the ref call the riders back from the start line when they were ready to race to do a twenty minute track grade? One overtake all night, speakers on back straight were poor ( terrible echo) and the centre green needs cutting.

No second half racing?

Yes, the opposition were poor but that was not a good advert for speedway on a cold night and there were many comments from home supporters on the way out who were not impressed.

• Like 1