British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester v Redcar BCS 30.03.19

Have to agree ref the lighting feel for the riders in those conditions. I know there is limited budgets but surely safety is paramount and will be sorted hope so. Ref the racing as many have said over many years the fundermental issue is the shape of the track long straights tight bends unless widen will never really change its ok the odd guy being able to ride but as an entertainment sport you need the majority to...Hemsley and his team got it so wrong from a clean field unless amend (very unlikely it will always be at best average racing)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cross Roads said:

Have to agree ref the lighting feel for the riders in those conditions. I know there is limited budgets but surely safety is paramount and will be sorted hope so. Ref the racing as many have said over many years the fundermental issue is the shape of the track long straights tight bends unless widen will never really change its ok the odd guy being able to ride but as an entertainment sport you need the majority to...Hemsley and his team got it so wrong from a clean field unless amend (very unlikely it will always be at best average racing)

Strange that the tr@ck builder was Glyn Taylor who also did Redcar. 

Leicester is very like Newcastle, same result, tractors racing more than bikes 

2 hours ago, Norfolk Bear said:

Strange that the tr@ck builder was Glyn Taylor who also did Redcar. 

Leicester is very like Newcastle, same result, tractors racing more than bikes 

Glyn Taylor didn't built it, David Hemsley did.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cross Roads said:

.Hemsley and his team got it so wrong from a clean field unless amend (very unlikely it will always be at best average racing)

I once spoke to David Hemsley; he said that he wanted a fast speedway, which is why the track had such long staights. (It seems that he wouldn't listen to Sam Ermolenko). The track has been altered three times to try to correct this error ...

• Like 1

I have to agree the track lighting at Leicester is in need of an upgrade and was always one of the most difficult tracks to broadcast from for both Sky & BT.

The lights have lost some of their lumen which is to be expected as coming up to 10 years old they also need to be taken in on the bends as following the track alterations they do cover the inside line very well especially on bend 3&4 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 4:49 PM, flagrag said:

I have to agree the track lighting at Leicester is in need of an upgrade and was always one of the most difficult tracks to broadcast from for both Sky & BT.

The lights have lost some of their lumen which is to be expected as coming up to 10 years old they also need to be taken in on the bends as following the track alterations they do cover the inside line very well especially on bend 3&4 

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember the lighting was re-used from the football pitches that were near the club house so they may be older than that,

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 40-38 said:

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember the lighting was re-used from the football pitches that were near the club house so they may be older than that,

If that's right they are possibly over 25 years old in some cases. I worked at the leisure centre in the mid 90's and those lights were defo there for the all weather pitches in 1995!!!

The lamps were new for 2011, only the poles were used from the tennis courts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the light is not good enough but I think that the brightness was set by one of the planning conditions imposed by the City Council when the track was built. As far as the helmet colours are concerned why can't we have luminous yellow?

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

I agree that the light is not good enough but I think that the brightness was set by one of the planning conditions imposed by the City Council when the track was built. As far as the helmet colours are concerned why can't we have luminous yellow?

Or yellow and black?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iainb said:

Or yellow and black?

Too simple, this is speedway we are talking about.