British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

It's friday night but,

It's friday, the sun is shining but there is no meeting at Lakeside tonight. It's on days like this the reality hits home. Another of my local venues have gone, unlikely to return. Enjoy your track if you still have one, because you never know what's around the corner.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It's friday, the sun is shining but there is no meeting at Lakeside tonight. It's on days like this the reality hits home. Another of my local venues have gone, unlikely to return. Enjoy your track if you still have one, because you never know what's around the corner.

Very sad. To have lost Lakeside, Rye House, Coventry and Workington all in such a short space of time really is horrible :(

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

You have my sympathy - as do all the Supporters of the Tracks  mentioned by Reliant Robin.....

My Track closed 45 years ago - Sunderland 'Stars'.

2 hours ago, The White Knight said:

You have my sympathy - as do all the Supporters of the Tracks  mentioned by Reliant Robin.....

My Track closed 45 years ago - Sunderland 'Stars'.

Remember going there to watch Comets, Jack Millen was your 'Star'................did think poor crowd given it was a top quality visiting team lol.

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

My track (Oxford) closed in 2007, so you have my sympathies.

I go to Scunthorpe most Fridays during the season.  Very friendly lot up there - you'd be very welcome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I feel your pain. I'm still mourning the loss of my beloved Hawks/Kestrels 28 years on :sad:

• Like 1

They are holding a charity event on the infield tomorrow and Sunday night on the infield, where they will be showing old banger footage on a cinema screen. Strictly limited to 300 each night. Tickets went on sale 7pm and are available via the Arena Essex Raceway Facebook page.

45 minutes ago, Terry said:

I feel your pain. I'm still mourning the loss of my beloved Hawks/Kestrels 28 years on :sad:

I was a Wimbledon fan, but have always supported my local venues, Hackney included!

3 hours ago, singy13 said:

Remember going there to watch Comets, Jack Millen was your 'Star'................did think poor crowd given it was a top quality visiting team lol.

He certainly was - along with Graeme Smith and Russ Dent.

Was that the year we won the Four Team Tournament Competition against Teesside, Workington and Berwick? 1972 or 1973 My memory fails me these days....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I was a Wimbledon fan, but have always supported my local venues, Hackney included!

You and me both...

I still remember being at school; last lesson on Thursday was physics, and all I wanted to was to get out of there, and head down to Plough Lane!

On a Wednesday, I'd get the tube to Tooting Bec, where Ken Archer would pick me up to take me to White City...

A few years later, I remember the poxy drive through Stockwell, the Elephant, and up Mile End Rd to get to Waterden Rd on a Friday. Coming home, I had figured out the traffic lights, and I could get from the Green Man all the way back to London Bridge without catching a light.

Making my way round the South Circular in rush hour to Crayford wasn't much better, although coming home was okay. Going to Rye on a Sunday was usually pretty easy, but you never knew which was best to get to Arena - going through London or round the M25.

God, I miss those days... :cry:

Steve

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:08 AM, teaboy279 said:

My mistake, the events are actually on the 31st may and 1 st June. Every single penny goes to a  Menagitis charity btw. Tickets available here.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/arena-essex-1-last-time-tickets-59560023634

Good to see that it is not a pubic event so I didn't trim my bush for nothing.

• Haha 1