British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yearbyred

Redcar v Newcastle Tyne Tees Trophy 29.03.19

Should be a close meeting tonight with 5 Riders on show who have been Redcars No 1 plus Steve Worrall. MPT looked a bit down on speed last week so hopefully he's got that out of his system

Performance of the second strings and reserves will be crucial - Stewart and Greaves looked good last week, Bacon not quite as quick out of the gate and looking forward to seeing how Jack gets on.

Think Diamonds will win overall but hopefully a good safe meeting to start the season.

1 hour ago, Yearbyred said:

Should be a close meeting tonight with 5 Riders on show who have been Redcars No 1 plus Steve Worrall. MPT looked a bit down on speed last week so hopefully he's got that out of his system

Performance of the second strings and reserves will be crucial - Stewart and Greaves looked good last week, Bacon not quite as quick out of the gate and looking forward to seeing how Jack gets on.

Think Diamonds will win overall but hopefully a good safe meeting to start the season.

Have to agree there Yerbs. Think it will be a tight meeting tonight, (probably last heat decider) and Diamonds taking the aggregate win around Brough, (bigger home advantage).

Bears by 12 points tonight. But Brough is a real test of visiting sides. I'm counting on 12 points being a big enough lead. Prove me right guys. UTB !!

Well that was as good an opening team fixture as you could possibly hope for - the quality of the racing throughout was excellent, with a couple of stunning races.

Bears looked like they would run away with it, good fightback by the Diamonds and then a last heat 5-1 gave the Bears a 12 point advantage. Not sure it will be enough but cracking entertainment.

For the Bears Wright was superb, MPT excellent (Heat 10 fantastic ride), Stewart looked improved from last year and Ben gave his all as usual. The other 3 all battled hard and showed promising flashes. Looked like a decent team tonight.

For the Diamonds the 3 heat leaders started poorly but picked up and Wethers, Lambert and Clegg chipped in.

A very good start and a decent sized crowd.

• Like 5

Enjoyed tonight's meeting very much. Have to say the Diamonds were caught napping at first, but battled well to keep up with the Bears.

I think both teams have very good riders and this season going by tonight is going to be an interesting one. Have to say Danny Phillips was like a changed man tonight riding well.

Stood next to a couple of Diamonds fans and they were good to chat too

Hope The Bears can do it on Sunday away from home, but it's gonna be another mighty one.

Good win for the Bears but they were left for dead at the tapes by the Diamonds in most races. Need to get their trapping gloves on!

48 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

Good win for the Bears but they were left for dead at the tapes by the Diamonds in most races. Need to get their trapping gloves on!

True, but not bad getting the 5-1's they got.

Highly entertaining meeting in front of what looked like to me to be a pretty decent attendance.

For Redcar, Stewart was highly impressive while Palm Toft's last to first in heat 10 was the highlight of the night. A word, too, for Jack Smith - a battling performance. 

Newcastle might yet be a much better prospect than some have suggested particularly if Clegg gets going. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, diamond@heart said:

Glad I stayed in the house. 

?

You missed some great racing and no-one got hurt.  What's not to like?

• Like 6

Apart from the result, this was a cracking meeting with some brilliant racing on a good slick track in front of a large crowd with the usual contingent of away supporters. Thought we were in for a good stuffing early on but, like another meeting here a couple pf years ago, the Diamonds suddenly turned it around and after a 14 point deficit, the Diamonds got with in 8 points only to lose heat 15 with a 5-1 against. A 12 point defeat was actually decent given the dominance of the Bears in the early 7 heats. In the junior meeting, there was some great racing and good performances from Dicken, Josh , Archie and Danny who was flying. Unlucky start for Sheldon with a dodgy clutch, but he will on song next time out I am sure. Some terrific overtaking at this junior level. Nice to renew our friendships with our usual Bears fans and ChrisHT, who made me and Alan very welcome once again. Thanks for your best wishes.

Very impressed at many things last night, a good atmosphere with the fans, great racing, stadium improvements, good even paced meeting and a complete  rethink to revitalise the programme and content. The whole evening was a great advert for speedway, with 2 sides who will give a good show everywhere I think. Massive parking, and queues at the turnstiles, even had some pies and peas left when I got there. :rolleyes:

NB Forgot to mention the fine form of Jordan Stewart. Very hit and miss last year IMO, but if he can continue this form he could prove to be very hard to beat.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

They were left dead at the tapes when off 2 & 4 as were Newcastle when they were off 2 & 4. gates 1 & 3 were by far the best for at least the first two thirds of the meeting.

the new starting procedure seemed to have been thrown out of the window in this match. Starting Marshall is supposed to indicate to the ref that he is satisfied riders are ready. not sure how he is supposed to do this, does the dropping of his arms the signal. Green light is supposed to come on BEFORE he walks to the back then the tapes are released. Well that certainly didn't happen. No green light until Starting Marshall was at the rear of the bikes (as per last year). Not sure who was to blame , the ref for not putting the green light on early enough, or the starting marshall for walking back before the green light. Needs to be clarified/ sorted otherwise confusion will reign. 

That said it didn't spoil what was a very entertaining meeting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Apart from the result, this was a cracking meeting with some brilliant racing on a good slick track in front of a large crowd with the usual contingent of away supporters. Thought we were in for a good stuffing early on but, like another meeting here a couple pf years ago, the Diamonds suddenly turned it around and after a 14 point deficit, the Diamonds got with in 8 points only to lose heat 15 with a 5-1 against. A 12 point defeat was actually decent given the dominance of the Bears in the early 7 heats. In the junior meeting, there was some great racing and good performances from Dicken, Josh , Archie and Danny who was flying. Unlucky start for Sheldon with a dodgy clutch, but he will on song next time out I am sure. Some terrific overtaking at this junior level. Nice to renew our friendships with our usual Bears fans and ChrisHT, who made me and Alan very welcome once again. Thanks for your best wishes.

Very impressed at many things last night, a good atmosphere with the fans, great racing, stadium improvements, good even paced meeting and a complete  rethink to revitalise the programme and content. The whole evening was a great advert for speedway, with 2 sides who will give a good show everywhere I think. Massive parking, and queues at the turnstiles, even had some pies and peas left when I got there. :rolleyes:

NB Forgot to mention the fine form of Jordan Stewart. Very hit and miss last year IMO, but if he can continue this form he could prove to be very hard to beat.

Like you say Jordan Stewart was I bit hit or miss last season,but he is a talent and has a great style given luck he will be star IMO 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StevePark said:

?

You missed some great racing and no-one got hurt.  What's not to like?

The result.