British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Simon Cross Racing DVD - NEW!

SIMON CROSS RACING
The ultimate DVD collection

ONLY £16 (post-free in UK)

Please view the trailer here:

SIMON CROSS was one of the most exciting English riders of his generation. A teenage grasstrack star, he began his speedway career with Oxford (1982) and had a second season in the National League with Weymouth (1983) before steeping up into the big-time with reigning British League champions Cradley Heath.

In his 12 seasons with the Heathens (1984-95), 'Crossi' played a prominent role in the Midlands outfit winning a host of domestic honours alongside fellow club legends Erik Gundersen, Alan Grahame, Jan O. Pedersen, Greg Hancock and Billy Hamill.

Whenever and wherever Simon was on track, he set pulses racing with breathtaking manoeuvres that thrilled the crowds during speedway's last golden era. Even in the races he didn't quite manage to win, his courage and never-say-die determination earnt him many vital points from the back. This tenacity became the hallmark of his illustrious 15-year racing career.

This highly collectable double-disc set of non-stop action and contemporary interviews with Simon, lasting almost four hours and featuring 117 races, includes:

* Crossi in action home and away for Cradley Heathens.
* Racing his heart out for England in Test matches against Denmark and USA.
* Admire his courage and skill as he passes reigning World Champions Hans Nielsen and Sam Ermolenko in separate races at Dudley Wood.
* Competing against the world's best in individual World Championship rounds.
* Winning the 1988 Overseas Final – his biggest individual victory.
* His horrific first race crash in the 1989 World Team Cup that tragically ended the career of his club-mate Erik Gundersen and totally overshadowed England's win.
* His near career-ending spill in the 1990 World Pairs Final (when partnered with Kelvin Tatum) that almost left him paralysed.
* How he bravely fought back to regain star status at Cradley and a return to the national team.
* A race for his only Polish club, Start Gnieszno, in 1992.
* Early National League rides as a teenager for Oxford Cheetahs and Weymouth Wildcats.
* Still serving up a feast of thrills, Crossi in his final (1996) season with Coventry Bees.

RETRO SPEEDWAY . . . Keeping great memories alive

To view a 5-minute trailer and then hopefully order this DVD, please visit us at:
https://www.retro-speedway.com/homepage

SIMON CROSS RACING_edit page.jpg

Edited by tmc

SIMON CROSS is the 14th former star of the 70s & and 80s to feature in our popular 'Racing' DVD series and having produced them all, I can honestly say that this one gave me as much pleasure as any of them, and more than most.

Firstly, of the 117 races crammed into the thrilling two-disc set, the vast majority were new to me, so I didn't know the outcome as I viewed each one for the first time. Most of the races you will see were filmed by local video companies, hardly any were covered by national television cameras.

The other big factor that struck me watching 'Crossi' was his sheer determination, willpower and skill. About a third of the races we've captured he didn't actually win . . . but, typical of his honest endeavour and bravery, he invariably pushed those in front of him to the wire and never gave up until the chequered flag.

We'll never know if Crossi would have gone all the way and fulfilled his potential to become World Champion if a series of nasty injuries hadn't set him back in his peak years between 1988 and 1991, when he was undoubtedly world class and among the top two Englishmen (mainly vying for that honour with Kelvin Tatum but also Simon Wigg and Jeremy Doncaster). The highlights for me were his brilliant victories from the back over then reigning world number ones Hans Nielsen and Sam Ermolenko, and holding the Dane at bay for four pulsating laps at Hans' home track, Oxford.

Gating wasn't Simon's strong suit then but the hard knocks he suffered focused his mind on making sharper starts and reducing the risks in his latter seasons.

I hope you will get as much pleasure from this DVD as I did putting it together. It should appeal not only to Cradley supporters who idolised and admired Simon, but speedway fans worldwide who know a real racer when they see one.

Tony Mac