British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jackofdiamonds

Newcastle v Redcar Tyne -Tees Trophy 31/3/19 at 6.30pm

Been off this board for a few years due to ill health, which has fortunately improved. After being away for nearly 6 years I made the plunge and bought a season ticket for this season. Have to say I enjoyed last night and thought there was some decent racing.

Thought the team looked ok and especially inpressed with Jorgensen and Bjerre, who once they get a regular run of meetings and dialed into the track will be fine additions to the team. The only rider who really seemed to struggle a bit was Lambert and I'm sure he will be fine also once he gets used to the right racing lines at Brough.

A couple of incidents changed the result when we were on a 4 - 2 and Greaves fell and the re-run produced a 3 - 3, heat 12 with Bjerre unlucky to be excluded and then Wethers lifting in heat 14 when comfortably ahead. Thought Redcar certainly looked a decent side also yesterday and there was never any danger that the aggregate win would be theirs.

I think both teams will do ok this year and be in the mix for things.

Edited by acclennell
  • Thanks 1

Was good to see a few Redcar fans up, they obviously thought they had a good chance of winning something unlike previous years... Now I'm sure there's a name for fans who just follow a team when they think they are going to win... No can't think of it oh well never mind 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, andys said:

Was good to see a few Redcar fans up, they obviously thought they had a good chance of winning something unlike previous years... Now I'm sure there's a name for fans who just follow a team when they think they are going to win... No can't think of it oh well never mind 

Think Promotion will be glad these type of fans have decided to attend given the state the sport is in.:t:

• Like 4

Alas after Friday, less positives.  I know the riders are learning the track but even so it was a disappointing home start

Well done to the Bears who were certainly the better team over the two legs. Decisions certainly went against the diamonds.  I could be wrong but I didn't see Clegg actually touch the tapes in heat 8, the ref clearly stopped the race to early to exclude Greaves and then there was the heat 12 controversy.....tough call for ref.... but the fact that barker also fell would imply some contact with bjerre... in most (BUT NOT ALL)  cases the rider diving up the inside is excluded .

The most worrying aspects for me over both legs is:

• apart from a couple of flashes, generally we didn't look quick and the bears when behind were catching our riders
  • in both legs at the gates we were moving all over the place and we've already had 2 tapes exclusions and 2(3) warnings
  • we were beaten by redcar who were thrashed by Leicester !!!

Lets hope it is just rustiness but we would all agree we would have preferred to start the season like redcar  (or Leicester!)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

Alas after Friday, less positives.  I know the riders are learning the track but even so it was a disappointing home start

Well done to the Bears who were certainly the better team over the two legs. Decisions certainly went against the diamonds.  I could be wrong but I didn't see Clegg actually touch the tapes in heat 8, the ref clearly stopped the race to early to exclude Greaves and then there was the heat 12 controversy.....tough call for ref.... but the fact that barker also fell would imply some contact with bjerre... in most (BUT NOT ALL)  cases the rider diving up the inside is excluded .

The most worrying aspects for me over both legs is:

• apart from a couple of flashes, generally we didn't look quick and the bears when behind were catching our riders
  • in both legs at the gates we were moving all over the place and we've already had 2 tapes exclusions and 2(3) warnings
  • we were beaten by redcar who were thrashed by Leicester !!!

Lets hope it is just rustiness but we would all agree we would have preferred to start the season like redcar  (or Leicester!)

Agree with you 100%, I think Barker was to fault for the incident with Bjerre and as you say, the fact he fell indicates contact and he should of gone.  I think that decision turned the match firmly in Redcar's favour.  I don't think it would have made a difference to the aggregate score but it would have meant an opening night victory.

I think this is the first time in a long time I have seen such a twitchy set of Diamonds riders at the tape, it was like we had ants in our clutch hand.  This will have to be sorted otherwise we are going to continually penalise ourselves.

For me, the ref was rubbishe, to the point where he should be removed from this level of competition for a while and the incident with the rider red exclusion light and not the red stop lights topped it off.  I hope he doesn't darken Brough Parks door for a while but as he is local and refs are thin on the ground we will probs see a lot of him.

Impressed with Clegg, seemed to go off abit after two races, not sure if injured after fall or lack of confidence.  Phillips still a worry for me, not on the pace and only points were gifts.  Impressed with Bjerre and Jorgensen's pass on Wright was top drawer.  Steve was poor in my opinion for his standards and to be out elbowed to the first corner by Wright summed his night up.  Onwards to Berwick and see what that brings.

For the Bears, really impressed by Wright considering I believe he used to and maybe still does hates Brough Park.  Greaves and Bacon were very good for the Bears and luckily Palm-Toft had an off night.  I think the Bears can be confident of a good season.

Congrats to the Bears you were by far the better side over two legs but I think we deserved the win last night, just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andys said:

Most Bears fan don’t go to Rough Park because it’s the worse track in league 

• Thanks 1

The Bears did have some luck with decisions but the Bjerre call was spot on. No contact going into the corner , Bjerre bailed out and his bike hit Barker hence he surged forward and eventually fell.

Clegg didn't touch the tapes and Greaves was clearing the track when the race was stopped. Bears took their chances and visited at just the right time when the home team are just settling in. 

Diamonds will be fine, at home, on a much improved race surface.

Spoke to the ref afterwards who admitted he pressed the wrong button in ht 15 but he's still learning and when is a ref going to get everything right?

The Bears fans in attendance appeared to be the regulars who attend Newcastle and the attendance wasn't great for a local derby and first match of the season but that is the same everywhere in speedway now.

5 minutes ago, BearIt said:

Yet the Bears riders were singing its praises last night in the post match chat with Roy!!!!

Funny that!!!!

Regards
THJ

• Like 5

5 hours ago, andys said:

Geordies? ;) 

Edited by Bear_Bottom
Dramatic effect
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yet the Bears riders were singing its praises last night in the post match chat with Roy!!!!

Funny that!!!!

Regards
THJ

Well,,, howay John, they would wouldn't the, they'd just won ???

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, homer said:

very quiet on here wonder why

Leaving it to gobshltes like you. :approve:

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

No,,, a blame the leap into British Summertime, that lost hours slumber causes all sorts of chaos.

that may also account for people having to use other people usernames  when posting on here . good ole British summertime .eh !

Edited by jenga
  • Confused 1

On 3/31/2019 at 2:50 PM, Yearbyred said:

Given the Bears performance last night it will need a much better performance to hold onto the lead. MPT and Barker need to contribute a lot more and given Jordans previous visits to Brough I'm not expecting much from him either.

Well Jordan rode brough well but Tom bacon had a good match attacked the track as it should be,,, Simon going to kip & letting Barker past was poor Danny Phillips needs to get trapping Better & I think that could only be our only loss at brough this season hopefully impressed with the rest of the diamonds 

19 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Well done Redcar as they rode with a lot of grit and determination... they deserved it...

However... and I accept that it was the first home meeting of the season but I stand in line with the tapes and the starts seemed so disjointed and scrappy which was most unusual as Phil Day is normally a very good Start Marshall (as is Barry Simpson when we borrow him from Redcar) and although this had very little bearing on the final result as it was the same for both sides it did look very messy...

I thought this new "starting" rule was going to improve the starts however I can't say that slicker starts or a slicker starting process was evident this evening...

Regards 

THJ 

Spot on John & we did have a giggle at my little video of our new number 3

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BearIt said:

Not according to Barker and co.