British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Belle Vue PSC - Mon 1st April

39 minutes ago, acef said:

I know. Was just a dig at buster and his reasoning for not paying kk what he wanted.

Kenneth will have a number of poor meetings but for buster to quantify his under payment as him not being a heat leader is not only disrespectfu, its neglegent

Thankfully teams like bv are willing to pay the going rate to keep a rider like Ken in this country 

Buster will only pay what is needed to make speedway viable at Lynn.Why overpay and see another team go by the wayside.We have seen too many go in recent years.

• Like 3

Watching Summers in his own race suit and own bike cover I couldn't help wonder if noses have been cut off to spite faces?

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Buster will only pay what is needed to make speedway viable at Lynn.Why overpay and see another team go by the wayside.We have seen too many go in recent years.

That’s counter productive.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

The expected result. Panthers need to get Cook back on board ASAP otherwise this team teams looks pants on paper without him.

Totally agree, & that's why I went up the pub rather than attend. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Totally agree, & that's why I went up the pub rather than attend. 

Same

• Like 1

If I were a Panthers fan I'd be gutted, promised Harris & Cook, end up with Tungate & Summers. Thought you'd win tonight, but Belle Vue heatlaeders & reserves proved too strong. 

Maybe a blessing long term, can't carry on with that septet.

On Monday, April 01, 2019 at 11:24 PM, acef said:

That’s counter productive.

That's the balancing act...

Sadly the truth is that a 'successful' Speedway team can be more of a risk to its survival than a 'run of the mill' one...

Paying out too much money to riders (who bring in hardly one extra punter by their presence), versus not peeing off your fan base by getting beat most weeks, is a tricky thing to achieve..

Winnng British Speedway competitions carries almost zero kudos the way they are ran, so it really isn't worth the risk paying out daft money to try and win them and possibly threaten your very existence..

After years of teams spending fortunes out on chasing 'fools gold' it does actually look like three teams at least are working to an initial strict payroll budget...

As the season goes on this budget may change if Chapman feels it is effecting attendances adversely. Or he may decide he is still getting enough 'die hards' to keep his costs the way they are and make a profit.

The correct way to run any business for me...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, tellboy said:

However, keeping to such a strictly controlled budget ( which sounds sensible ) does present a huge problem IF the crowd of diehards falls away so that the budget is endangered for all three of Buster's clubs. That could easily happen and depends on the continued support of the diehards who are becoming more and more dissatisfied ( and who Buster continues to ignore ). UK speedway seems to have given up on chasing a new generation of fans ( having lost out on the missing generation pf them ).

A very ordinary looking Panthers performance with Hans looking slow and no one else other than Wright standing out. Track was fast and smooth but was gate n go with no passing. Disappointing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

What was the crowd like? 

I would hazard a guess 1500

Just now, hans fan said:

I would hazard a guess 1500

Is that better than last season or worse?  Sounds pretty good for a Monday 

25 minutes ago, Lukas said:

A very ordinary looking Panthers performance with Hans looking slow and no one else other than Wright standing out. Track was fast and smooth but was gate n go with no passing. Disappointing.

That’s where Hans is these days. He’s nowhere near the level of ten years ago. 

Peterborough need to sort out this Cook business sooner rather than later. Getting him to change his mind or getting a much better replacement than Summers with all due respect needs sorting pronto. 

That moves Bjerre back down to reserve and makes a big difference to both him, and this team. 

Need to get this signing right and quickly. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Is that better than last season or worse?  Sounds pretty good for a Monday 

It was certainly as good if not better than anything we had last year.

Their was a good contingent from Belle Vue and I would say we had a few from other tracks as well plus a few I hadn’t seen for a few years.

For a weekday night it was excellent, whether it remains as good remains to be seen.