British Speedway Forum
customhouseregular

The greatest "nearly men" 1948-2018

Who would you pick as the greatest post-war rider never to have been crowned World champion?

Given the restrictions placed on Soviet Union riders in the 60's, and their lack of access to the world's best on a regular basis, I would have to say Igor Plechanov.

Had he been able to compete in the British League he could well have been an even better rider and surpassed his two silver medal tally.

• Like 2

Surely the likes of Split Waterman, Jack Biggs, Olle Nygren, Ron How, Ken McKinlay and of course Jack Parker. More recently, Leigh Adams comes to mind.

Vic Duggan and Jack Parker, who won the non-World Finals of 1947/48

Graham Warren who was seriously injured before reaching a peak

Igor Plechanov who ran up twice

Phil Crump was the best Australian for a decade

Dave Jessup

Shawn Moran (imagine the fuss if he'd won the Bradford run-off and THEN got disqualisied!)

In the GP years, Jimmy Nilsen, Leigh Adams and Jaroslav Hampel.

IMO

• Like 1

In the late 60's Gote Nordin was referred to as the greatest rider never to have won a world title. I'm not sure about that though he was a favourite of mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Who would you pick as the greatest post-war rider never to have been crowned World champion?

Given the restrictions placed on Soviet Union riders in the 60's, and their lack of access to the world's best on a regular basis, I would have to say Igor Plechanov.

Had he been able to compete in the British League he could well have been an even better rider and surpassed his two silver medal tally.

Amazing how Plechanov mastered Wembley very quickly when other eastern bloc riders couldnt. Boris Samaodov was another who did well, but not to Igors level,

A mention must go to Sverre Harfeldt - a nearly champion, but not quiet. He would have been popular.

And I have sympathies for Dave Jessup, again, so nearly but too many opportunities missed.

• Like 2

So many to choose from but Arne Pander may well have scaled the heights if injuries hadn't continually knocked him back.

Vic Duggan, Vic Duggan, Vic Duggan, Vic Duggan and Vic Duggan.

Easily the best rider in the world for a number of seasons between 1946 and 1949, yet never World Champion.

Even given CHR has used 1948 as the start-date and therefore Duggan's incredible 1947 season is missed out, Duggan was still far ahead in 1948, and won the biggest event of the year.  Never has another rider been so utterly dominant and not ended up as a World Champion.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Split Waterman for sure and what about Brian Crutcher.

4 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

I think I would have to agree with you CHR. 

15 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Vic Duggan, Vic Duggan, Vic Duggan, Vic Duggan and Vic Duggan.

Easily the best rider in the world for a number of seasons between 1946 and 1949, yet never World Champion.

Even given CHR has used 1948 as the start-date and therefore Duggan's incredible 1947 season is missed out, Duggan was still far ahead in 1948, and won the biggest event of the year.  Never has another rider been so utterly dominant and not ended up as a World Champion.

Of course, with subjects like this, people tend to go for the most recent eras, particularly when they saw never some of the contenders.  However, I do feel that Vic Duggan is usually - and very unfairly - overlooked when it comes to the true greats of the sport.  He certainly had a spell where he was clearly a class above everybody else.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Split Waterman for sure and what about Brian Crutcher.

Brian Crutcher was on a par with Moore , Briggs ,Craven and Fundin.  However I think he would agree that on the big night he let himself down. Craven was far from the best rider in the world when he won his first world title but could perform on the big occasion.

I would certainly go along with Vic Duggan as the greatest rider not to win the World Championship.

Others would be Jack Parker, Graham Warren, Split Waterman, Aub Lawson, Brian Crutcher, Gote Nordin, Igor Plechanov, Dave Jessup and Leigh Adams.

As usual would agree with Norbold, but always thought Gote Nordin never had the killer touch. For example when he rode for Newport in 1966, he would always do great when we were way ahead and bound to win-but if it was a close meeting and we really needed him to come thru' for us he would choke. Any comments??

Leigh Adams

What about Eric Langton who does qualify as a post-war rider as he rode for Belle Vue after the war averaging 10.93 in his comeback season. He  was a winner of the Star Riders' Championship, the forerunner of the World Championship in 1932 and runner-up in1934 . He was also runner-up, after a run-off with Lionel Van Praag in the inaugural world final in 1936.