British Speedway Forum

I'm sure its not that hard to nip to a cash machine before entering the Stadium :rolleyes: 

• Like 4

It’s not but on the other hand we are in the Year 2019 and chip & pin / contactless is and should be available everywhere. Typical of speedway in general to be way behind the times. 

Attending speedway should be as straightforward and hassle free as possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s not but on the other hand we are in the Year 2019 and chip & pin / contactless is and should be available everywhere. Typical of speedway in general to be way behind the times. 

Attending speedway should be as straightforward and hassle free as possible. 

well why not pay cash and give 100 per cent of the money to the club/rider running the testimonial rather than 15 per cent to Barclays or whoever the payment has to be processed through?

3 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

well why not pay cash and give 100 per cent of the money to the club/rider running the testimonial rather than 15 per cent to Barclays or whoever the payment has to be processed through?

15 per cent? Whilst some of the systems are not cheap to setup Barclays and/or others are not highway men.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

15 per cent? Whilst some of the systems are not cheap to setup Barclays and/or others are not highway men.

merchant charges, minimum monthly fees, transaction fees, rental of equipment, connection charges to landline/mobile network, all chip away at the amount being collected. It's why so many small businesses have a minimum spend on card transactions? Big companies can afford to swallow the fees and probably can negotiate not to pay them in the first place. 

Having not been on any website or Twitter regarding this meeting, I haven't seen that it is only cash. I have always paid cash to date at Glasgow so no problem for me but if this is definitely the case, then I foresee problems for those who regularly pay by card and, like me, have not picked up on this.........sounds a strange thing to do. 

16 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

merchant charges, minimum monthly fees, transaction fees, rental of equipment, connection charges to landline/mobile network, all chip away at the amount being collected. It's why so many small businesses have a minimum spend on card transactions? Big companies can afford to swallow the fees and probably can negotiate not to pay them in the first place. 

Whilst i agree that the standalone companies do have greater difficulties negotiating fees (perhaps clubs should get together and negotiate a stronger deal) Speedway & Stadiums are in the Hospitality&Entertainment industry and as such are expected in these evolving times to offer card based payments. I have seen many times people leave shops / venues that do not accept card payments as they simply do not carry cash and the majority don't return, Speedway simply cannot afford any more spectators to no longer return.

57 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Having not been on any website or Twitter regarding this meeting, I haven't seen that it is only cash. I have always paid cash to date at Glasgow so no problem for me but if this is definitely the case, then I foresee problems for those who regularly pay by card and, like me, have not picked up on this.........sounds a strange thing to do. 

As it is not Glasgow running the meeting you cannot use there merchant facilities.

Hardly a hardship for people with an atm across the road.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 2

Can anyone explain why there is no mention at all of this meeting on the Glasgow website. The next home meeting is shown as against Edinburgh, has the testimonial been cancelled?

You get a free programme and Easter egg as well. If you don’t want the programme go and sell it to someone in the programme queue and you’ll make a profit on it. Cash only I’m afraid but there you go. Upsetting  

I’m going to assume you guys don’t like Easter eggs so you can give that away and make a child happy though you’re probably be contributing to his early death due to child obesity so you can still be upset about that. 

• Haha 2

Any further info on more riders, not on that twitter thingy, also find it very strange in speedway star 2 page article and full page advert, but no mention of any riders involved !! Very poor publicity to try and temp fans up to Glasgow

I don't know if I've missed it somewhere but have the names of all the riders participating in the meeting actually been announced anywhere?
Seems to so little info about what should be a biggish meeting.

About 6 riders announced earlier on in this thread, but still about 10 short, may find out if/when I arrive at Glasgow in less than 2 days time, beginning to wonder if Mr cook wants a crowd to turn up 2nd guessing who is gonna ride !!