British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Dorothy, Roy & Young Norman

A look back at London Speedway and Cycle Speedway Of the 1960’s. Some very familiar faces and I don’t suppose ‘young Norman’ is a regular here, is he?

• Like 2

Don’t recognise the faces, maybe a bit before my time but I remember racing at Rayners Park which was just like the video in that they were all men driving up in their own cars and we were still at school , aged around 15. Right bunch of posers they were too, never had the bottle to graduate to proper motorcycle sport but able to whop teams of school boys. Tolworth Tudors were even worse. They were great days and I enjoyed them but I got fed up with being knocked off by men poncing around in what was basically a schoolboy sport. Most teams were pretty equal though , especially around East London. 

Garratt Lane nr Wimbledon Speedway I think

Edited by iris123

I thought that the commentary said it was Beckenham, It doesn't really jog my memories of the Wimbledon track, interesting vid though iris.

• Like 1

Any of you guys go to Raynes Park cycle speedway in 1964, particularly September 1964????

I only rode once their, it would be a Saturday afternoon (cant remember the date) but the meetings were the National Cycle Speedway Association championships.  Juniors on the Saturday, Seniors on the Sunday.

I rode for Belle Vue Gladiators in the Junior team final on the Sat'day afternoon against another Manchester team from Hyde. BV were favourites, but Hyde beat us by 2 points.

Same afternoon, maybe less then an hour later, I rode in the Junior individual final and won it with 13 points. Thats was 4 wins on the trot then 3rd in my final race, when I only needed 1 point, and I was against 2 guys who were favourites - Pail Rennie, Gorton Manchester, and Chris Hunt from Wembley.

Was any of you there????

Obviously the track suited me, does anyone have any photos or video clips of (any) racing there. As I said, only saw it the once.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the video particularly of the Hackney v. Wimbledon regular speedway meeting-remember well the old Hackney uniform-maybe it was taken in 1965. Nice to see Mrs. Dorothy Charles - Batson who did a lot for Wimbledon speedway there. Also is Brian Davies still with us?

Just found out that Brian Davies died in 1987 at the young age of 51-anyone know what happened??

my dad rode for South London Rangers at Garratt Park in the early 60s, will have to show him this next week when i see him, see if i can get any names.