British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hamish McRaker

Craig Cook: what next?

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Isn't Lambert riding U21 this year?

Thought he was, doesn't it depend on your age at the start of the year or season?

If not then Dan Bewley would be a great U21 'third' rider, particularly at the NSS..

Would make sense crowd and PR wise too. Bring a lot of local fans in who may be undecided abut going, and give BT a positive narrative about the 'future of British Speedway' etc..

Have Lambert as the U21 Rider with Bewley at No.2 to Woffinden.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Smith said:

It was reported that Belle Vue released Craig for similar. GP rider demands for a bang average rider. He also publicly slated Belle Vue's management. 

So Craig has pretty much left himself with Championship Glasgow or Premiership's Swindon and Wolverhampton. Neither of the Premiership clubs management teams would be stupid enough to pay what his "Speedway Superstar" wages.

Why Swindon? Are you talking down the line if someone struggles, totally unfeasible  would only fit if Doyle or Batch were dropped and that's totally unlikely

Edited by hagonshocker

Craig's habit of running his mouth on social media instead of dealing with issues behind closed doors will hurt his chances of getting another team. Promotors aren't daft and he's not good enough to make them take the risk of it happening with them.

3 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

Why Swindon? Are you talking down the line if someone struggles, totally unfeasible  would only fit if Doyle or Batch were dropped and that's totally unlikely

Cook has 3 spots in the Champ. 

1.Swindon (CFS connection surely pulls the weight) 2. Wolves doubt it 3. Poole well it would be funny considering Ford hates him. 

I know he had problems in Rybnik and has a very tarnished reputation in Poland due to him being a GP rider and being one of the worse riders in league 1. 

Needs to come out get a spot and keep his head down and out of the way. 

And he will look in the champ this year due to how weak it is. When you are riding against 17 year olds and you were a Gp rider you should go rather well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

I think that merely serves to show just how difficult it will be for him to get a top flight place here - injury seems the only way to me, and even then I suspect other options will be considered first. 

I'm a Cook fan - and he's anything but an average rider - but he was stupid with Peterborough. True, he had a point. But in sticking to it he halved his speedway earnings overnight  and  massively lost out as a result. Instead of thinking it through he behaved petulantly and he will be counting the cost all season. 

I really don't know where he goes from here but suggestions that he shuts his mouth and just gets on with it seem pretty good advice to me.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

I'm thinking 2019 and beyond. If Buster does a good job and holds on to his 3 clubs Cook won't be signed by any of them.

There's his toys out the pram moment when dropped by Belle Vue which didn't go down well with Lemon. 

On reflection, I think he'd struggle to get a ride at Swindon in the future. Rosco has been very obvious in not being Cook's biggest fan with how he handled him over the GB team. 

So, in the current Premiership setup if it continues in future years may be Cook's only chance is with Wolverhampton. 

I honestly think now Cook has put himself in a no win situation and he'll just become an also-ran type of rider. He's managed to get a 'Big Time Charlie' attitude imo, burning so many bridges with people that pay him a living.

I think he'll retire from the sport within the next 3 years. 

• Like 1

It looks like Daniel Smith was sacked for reportedly being a pain in the backside. Rumours are that his time keeping was poor and his interpersonal skills non existent. 

As far as I know all this is 100% true so what does that tell you about the guy. Things went downhill for him when he fell out with his family so now he’s alone, apparently. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Cook has 3 spots in the Champ. 

1.Swindon (CFS connection surely pulls the weight) 2. Wolves doubt it 3. Poole well it would be funny considering Ford hates him. 

I know he had problems in Rybnik and has a very tarnished reputation in Poland due to him being a GP rider and being one of the worse riders in league 1. 

Needs to come out get a spot and keep his head down and out of the way. 

And he will look in the champ this year due to how weak it is. When you are riding against 17 year olds and you were a Gp rider you should go rather well. 

CFS sponsorship only has any bearing if we actually wanted him over our top 2 which I'm pretty certain we don't/didn't so it's a mute point ....The Bakers sponsor Kyle Newman and apparently Bewley in some form again but pretty certain they won't figure at Swindon , I think Craig as Daniel alluded is in a poor situation 

43 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

CFS sponsorship only has any bearing if we actually wanted him over our top 2 which I'm pretty certain we don't/didn't so it's a mute point ....The Bakers sponsor Kyle Newman and apparently Bewley in some form again but pretty certain they won't figure at Swindon , I think Craig as Daniel alluded is in a poor situation 

You have Batch. Big chance that someone comes in. Always seems to be hurt. And just think he is a prime candidate to come in for him. 

1 hour ago, poolebolton said:

You have Batch. Big chance that someone comes in. Always seems to be hurt. And just think he is a prime candidate to come in for him. 

Stupid comment! Injured no more than any other rider ...another mute point try harder 

Respect all riders, some more than others obviously.

Some guys never a minutes trouble, others as in any sport, trouble seems to follow around.

Always struck me as being potentially great rider but with a screw loose somewhere in his ability to think laterally in terms of career.

Seems to have very few PL options left, seems to have burned bridges in Poland and Sweden and now all his eggs in a basket that openly admitted may be in their last season under current Owners.

A shame but only himself to blame imho

Edited by HGould
spello

12 hours ago, ouch said:

It looks like Daniel Smith was sacked for reportedly being a pain in the backside. Rumours are that his time keeping was poor and his interpersonal skills non existent. 

As far as I know all this is 100% true so what does that tell you about the guy. Things went downhill for him when he fell out with his family so now he’s alone, apparently. 

Absolutely 100% true. 

• Haha 1

The rumour going around Saddlebow Road last night was that Craig Cook is about to pop up at another of Buster's tracks! Seems most unlikely but given all the funny handshakes going on in UK speedway, who knows? It would make a mess of the supposed reason that CC left Pboro.

11 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The rumour going around Saddlebow Road last night was that Craig Cook is about to pop up at another of Buster's tracks! Seems most unlikely but given all the funny handshakes going on in UK speedway, who knows? It would make a mess of the supposed reason that CC left Pboro.

Depends how long Bomber is out for?!

On 4/16/2019 at 6:52 PM, Skidder1 said:

Depends how long Bomber is out for?!

Can you imagine the melt down on here if Cook goes to Ipswich & Bomber goes 'back' to Peterborough